Got my RAID LED lights tinted (few pics)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
fixed!

cant thank you enough Rob! :cheers:

like you said one resistor fixes the problem but i fitted both like you said! :yes:

when i fitted the first one it made no difference so i checked that i had wired it up correctly and then i checked the scotch locks only to find one wasnt pushed hard enough... i think scotch locks are good BUT you must always uses pliers to REALLY squeeze home! (just thought id say!)

as for mounting the resistors, as u can see below i just simply cable tied them to the metal body work... that way if they do get hot at least the heat can be soaked up by th ebody work as well as the heat sink!

talking of heat... i left the lights with ignition on (car was off!) for about 10mins and they only got ever so slightly worm i think (not even tepid so to speak!) so not hot at all... maybe wen the car is on they get hot?! (il have to check!)

heres the pics....

passenger side...

passengersode.jpg

drivers side...

driversside.jpg

thanks again rob! :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
aphix said:
wicked.. thanks for letting me know..should of got the guy here to solder some leads onto each end.. would of made life easy peasy... :D

how long you been trying to get these sorted for? had any problems with people commenting and stuff?

I dont want or be in work today... :( its beautiful outside

Rob

wasnt hard for me to solder on some wire! ;)

iv tried 2 different types of resistors and diodes to solve this problem!

only comments iv had is that its a shame i have this problem because ppl love the lights! :)

and yes its a lovely day! :yes:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
oh didnt think about using cable ties.. think ill just do that... i really cant be bothered at the moment to try and frabricate something.. i would only end up cutting myself anyway.

i only had the problem when the engine was on... and you had your foot on the brake... if you get a chance try having the brake lights oin for 2 mins or so.. those resitors get quite hot.

glad its all sorted now..

if anyone else wants some resitors - they are 12R 50 Watt - I can order them and post them up to you, but i got them from CPC (Farnel) and i have to have a minimum order of £25 or £35 quid (i forget) otherwise i get b|tchslapped on the carrige.. or a minimum order fee. One or the other.

If im bored over the weekend ill try and make a mounting bracket for it.

:p

Rob

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
rob... if it only gets hot wen the foot is on the break we should have nothing to worry about!

il have to remember to use my handbreak more now! (at traffic lights) ;)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
dan got a pic of your lighst before?

and details of the place you used

got a mate after exactly that effect to soften his lights up on a wedding car

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
i do indeed...

lights13la.jpg

and after....

on25nc.jpg

The lights were just too shiny before. Place i used was http://www.clearblack.co.uk in Bristol. I delt with a guy called Stu, who was a top bloke, really friendly and helpful. They're good with replying to emails which helps. Prices are on the site.

Aphix, can i buy a couple of those resistors off you at some point?

Cheers,
Dan.

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
yeah not a problem... but i've had a few problems (i.e. brake lights not coming on) which only happen when i have the resistors connected - j@mes hasn't had the problem.

I just wanna test them properley and find out what is going wrong.

Just out of curiosity, at the bottom corner of your lights.. does it say "SONAR" ?

Rob

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
brakelights not coming on??! Eek, thats not a good thing.

Damn these RAID lights for being such a pain.

Yeah mine say SONAR on them. I'm guessing thats the make (nice name!) Either that or they have built in sonar so if you're driving on the ocean, you can detect enemy submarines. :)

I'll let you do some more testing Rob, and once all is well, i'l buy a pair off you if thats ok?

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
i saw a mg (not sure of the model, but its a rover 25) with some led rear lights at the weekend and his middle break light was very very slightly glowing. it was a very dark road and it was hard to work out if it was glowing or not, so its not jus the leon

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
danthemanwhocan said:
i do indeed...

and after....

The lights were just too shiny before. Place i used was http://www.clearblack.co.uk in Bristol. I delt with a guy called Stu, who was a top bloke, really friendly and helpful. They're good with replying to emails which helps. Prices are on the site.

Aphix, can i buy a couple of those resistors off you at some point?

Cheers,
Dan.

yours are different to the ones i was looking at. the ones i had seen and want are just like stock lights, but with the leds. yours are (were) alot shiney. they really really suit the car now tinted though:funk:

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
yeah, i bought the ones that didnt look like the OEM light as i wanted something a bit different. Unfortunately only when they arrived did i realise i needed to wear sunglasses when opening the box.

Now they're tinted though, im much happier with them. In hindsight i should've gone for the OEM style ones, and maybe had those tinted, but you live and learn eh? :)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Copra said:
yours are different to the ones i was looking at. the ones i had seen and want are just like stock lights, but with the leds. yours are (were) alot shiney. they really really suit the car now tinted though:funk:

u mean my ones?! ;)

5340217.jpg

5340218.jpg

5340215.jpg

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
oh the insult! :no:

a full Blue Flame system...

3" Down Pipe
100 CELL race CAT
2.75" Cat back system

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
J@mes said:
oh the insult! :no:

a full Blue Flame system...

3" Down Pipe
100 CELL race CAT
2.75" Cat back system

yes, the ones in the pic of your car!![B)] :funk: [B)]

ooh i want them so bad. My mrs would actually kill me if i got them before holiday though. i promised i wouldnt get my bumpers sprayed and fit them before holiday, or get the suspension fitted...how i am still alive is a mystery, so i had better wait:(:D

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
if you get the OEM look ones.. fit them and dont say anything.. she might not notice..

RE: the resitor problem - im working on it today (at work in the sun tehe) to see what the problem might be, and if it just a problem with the way ive got it set up.. when you have the rear lights on and put your foot on the brake.. they dont always light up.. stamp on the brake pedal.. and after 3 seconds they light up.

however if you dont have the lights on the brake lights work as per normal.

co-incidentally.. i also fitted new front discs and pads at the weekend, i wouldnt of thought it was related *shrugs*.

Rob

Last edited:

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
oh, possibly a bad solder joint or loose connection?

good thinking about the lights :)

oh i see your in camberley, i live in farnborough, i'll wave if i see you about:)