Got my RAID LED lights tinted (few pics)

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
dan.. i dont get a bulb warning light.. but i imagine it would fix the problem..

If i get a chance.. what i want to do is to leave the brake lights on for 15 mins..

If the resistor is far too hot to touch, or could cause damage to plastic/carpet/paint then we may need to rethink or come up with a differnt solution..

The resisitor does have the facility to mount it to something, so some kind of mounting bracket could be made up and fixed inside the rear light.

I wouldnt have a problem in making a kit for anyone who wanted one.. but i would really like to be sure that it wasnt goin to be dangerous before i did that.

Rob

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
The light in the manual is called the 'Diesel Engine Management' light. Weird because lights are nothing to do with the engine.

Its definately the lights doing it though, cos the problem started the day they were fitted. When i removed them and sent them for tinting for 3 days and used my OEM lights, the light never came on. Now they're back on....well you can guess the rest.

I spoke to SEAT when the light first came on and the first thing they said was "has a stop light bulb blown". So that confirms its the LED lights not producing the correct load on the sensor.

Good man for trying the resistors though and hopefully it'll not melt the car :D

PawnStar

I'm also very interested in this, as I debated going for the LED lights when I replaced my chavvy chrome lexus lights (came with the car, honest) or sticking the OEM ones on. After reading the fading problem, I went for the OEM to save the hassle.

If you get this working, then I'll have some rethinking to do... :D

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
aphix said:
its cool :D

Im bashing together a photoshop picture so you can see how i wired them up... maplins didnt have any when i asked.. i got mine from CPC.

I ordered 2 more than i needed.. convenient wasnt it ;)

Give me a sec :D ive got an hour at work to kill so ill have something :D

Rob

u star?! ;) :whistle:

and how much u want for them? ;)

whos cpc? they got an addy?

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=RE01687&N=411 i think.. PM me your address and ill whizz them over to you.. there are like 1.19 each or something not loadsa money.. only thing is.. you have to order over 25 quids worth of stuff... (i was told i needed to)

Gonna run down to B&Q tomorrow and pick up a piece of aluminium to try and build something i can mount...

At the moment its hangning by a wire.. not ideal.

But its worked all evening, which is cool.

Rob

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
PM sent rob! ;)

thankyou very much again! :)

as for a bracket to mount it on... il also try and see if i can make one up!

otherwise how about drilling a small hole onto the metal bodywork and screwing it in place?!

james :)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just a couple of things (looks good by the way)

if its LED based they will have a lower amp load on the system itself and can be fooled wit say a resistor but dont forget the offset of a resistor is heat

got some home made ones at work off a ford anglia that we built and after sorting a low current flasher unit (6 months later everyone does one LOL) the main array resistor gets quite warm - so watch its location if it does

secondly - sounds daft sad and predantic and probably would look silly but i reccomend fittind a reflector of some sort on each side of the car possibly either side of the plate as technically speaking those lights are illegal like that

if the coppers are anything like round our way its just nowt but grief trying to talk out of it - known people get cars impounded for that same thing

you can get small round ones and yes i know it looks sad - just thinking of saving ya grief thats all

end of the day - they look great though - top job

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
our lights have built in reflectors!

but dans may not reflect that well now... i dont know!

these lights are E marked too! :yes:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Hey James... with regards to the bracket.. i was thinking it might be possible to make use of the gap in the back of the light. i was thinking a bit of alunium bent into the shape behind the light... then fixed in place using the light mounting bolts..

Its only a thought.

Rob

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
this is odd, i made my rear lights using 12v LEDs and it hasnt bought up a fault, is it just side light and brake light?

i have 2 rings each side of LEDs for sidelightsand the stop and fog are normal bulbs.

is yours a series of LEDs making 12v?

ce2a2081.jpg

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
are your using normal bulbs fo rhte stop lights?

the RAID ones replace both the stop and normal lights with LED's

They look fantastic btw :D

Rob

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
J@mes said:
our lights have built in reflectors!

but dans may not reflect that well now... i dont know!

these lights are E marked too! :yes:

top job then - ignore my ramblings - just going by the pics up top

anyhting to shove one up a coppers butt ;) saying that though 90% of em are pretty cool [B)]

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Fl@pper said:
top job then - ignore my ramblings - just going by the pics up top

anyhting to shove one up a coppers butt ;) saying that though 90% of em are pretty cool [B)]

was nice of u to point it out! :yes:

i know with some fiesta lights u have to use a sticky reflective strip to be legal!

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
aphix said:
are your using normal bulbs fo rhte stop lights?

the RAID ones replace both the stop and normal lights with LED's

They look fantastic btw :D

Rob

yes, but doesnt your problem come up when you have just the side lights on, or did it come on when you pressed the brake for the first time

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
how many leds per light and are they 12 v in parallel or smaller wired in series

sorry to bombard you with questions

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
iv just randomly vag com'd my car to see if i had any faults....

since fitting the RAID lights iv been getting this one (i forgot to mention it before as it does NOT bring up the engine management light on the dash! hence y im not worried about it)...

00526 - brake light switch - F
008 implausible signal - intermittent

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
rob... thanks bro! :yes: :clap: :cheers:

got the resistors today!

they look identical to the ones (obviously except the resistance) that came in the £10 kit from ultraleds.co.uk... their kit had 6" door bell wire soldered onto each end of the resistors and came with 4 scotch locks/splice connectors! :lol:

hopefully il fit this later today and let u know the score!

THANKS AGAIN ROB!

james :)

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
wicked.. thanks for letting me know..should of got the guy here to solder some leads onto each end.. would of made life easy peasy... :D

how long you been trying to get these sorted for? had any problems with people commenting and stuff?

I dont want or be in work today... :( its beautiful outside

Rob

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise