DaNnY_LaD's IHI'd Cupra ( End Of a Eara 08/11/2009)

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
With an engine of that mileage I would be looking at changing the rods aswell. I know IHI is below power levels to change rods but thats quite a few miles on your engine especially at higher bost/stress levels which means they are more likely to fail. Also why IHI Danny? Quite alot to change and more expense for upto a reliable 330bhp from what you have now.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Thanks Pj

Yeah my Gt2x is around the 284bhp mark so 330bhp would be enough for me as i do get abit of lag on the gtx but without the BT Power...

I know this isnt gonna be an Over night conversion but im seariously looking in to it...Now would any bits of the BAM engine work?

Im about 1/4 throught HTC thread whats the difference between the 16 and 18g and the td04 or is that completly different turbos

O and what manifold I like a Top mounted one if i could get it as the JS one is underslung aint it?

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Superb Phil and bill just what im looking for..

I know this ''NEXT'' step wont be over night as it will take a while to gather parts but how do i do a compression test is along the lines of Coilpack and Spark plugs.

Theres no Running issues but i will be replacing belts,Pumps ect along the way i need something to keep me in love with it...Plus the Gt2x is brillaint but i just want that bit more..

Is it a engine out job bill that you discribe doing work on?

no not engine out. but engine apart for sure.
valve stem seals.. when doing valves.., check bores for wear, possibly not much so re-ring and stick some rods in there, new shells in the bearings, new oil pump, and it will be a lot fresher an engine.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
I agree with Phil. IHI is great but with the mileage on your engine I would deffo be changing the rods and then there is no reason not to go for a GT2871 which would be much better. Even if you went GT28RS it gives much better upgrade opportunities if you want to go bigger.

No point looking at BAM engines tbh. Rebuild yours with uprated parts. IHI wise for about the same power as a IHI VF34 in the TD range you want the TD05 16G or big 16G for a little more. Next step up is 18G then 20G but thats upto 360-380bhp and has its own issues with the larger exhaust side.

Whatever you choose you are limited by your manifold for future upgrades. Top mount is so much easier whatever you go for turbo wise and gives more space for the future. To be honest I think I would be looking at what Bill can offer and maybe Backdraft or wait for Issams kit to be ready.

jamiebennett81

PMSL Danny, you make me laugh mate:lol:

one point its "right i'm selling it" and now its "I want more power"!!

classic.:D

If you are going down the GT2871 route, WITH all the internals, then budget for around 9k, seriously, thats not an exaggeration if you want the job done properly and dont want the engine going bang.

That would be running a strong 380bhp, and maybe a little more, although I have read pushing the standard 5 speed gearbox towards 400bhp tends to strip gears....ask Hooch;). Although his was 400bhp+ it is still pushing the standard box

with just an IHI or gt28rs with an .64 housing for example, this would give good spool, the same if not better than the gt2x BUT with the punch and power near to the redline. This would run anything from 315/320 (pegged) to 350 with the 28rs....but even with these power levels and on your high mileage engine I would be looking at rods at the very least

again, budget for at least 6-7k if going down this route

and completely agreeing with Phil, if you are going down this route then Bill is the man to go to :)

Why the sudden change mate?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
PMSL Danny, you make me laugh mate:lol:

one point its "right i'm selling it" and now its "I want more power"!!

classic.:D

If you are going down the GT2871 route, WITH all the internals, then budget for around 9k, seriously, thats not an exaggeration if you want the job done properly and dont want the engine going bang.

That would be running a strong 380bhp, and maybe a little more, although I have read pushing the standard 5 speed gearbox towards 400bhp tends to strip gears....ask Hooch;). Although his was 400bhp+ it is still pushing the standard box

with just an IHI or gt28rs with an .64 housing for example, this would give good spool, the same if not better than the gt2x BUT with the punch and power near to the redline. This would run anything from 315/320 (pegged) to 350 with the 28rs....but even with these power levels and on your high mileage engine I would be looking at rods at the very least

again, budget for at least 6-7k if going down this route

and completely agreeing with Phil, if you are going down this route then Bill is the man to go to :)

Why the sudden change mate?

Wont cost so much if he is doing labour himself.

jamiebennett81

Wont cost so much if he is doing labour himself.

very true, ALOT of money to be saved their. Personally I would not attempt internals myself, due to time and expertise, but seeing as Danny has fitted the turbo himself etc, then game on if he does:)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Thanks alot guys..

JamieB: Id never get the asking price for my car in this ression no way...Ive been thinking of buying a Astra 1.9cdti cheap and is alot bigger too...

You see 400bhp isnt what im aiming for...Thats around 80bhp above what im aiming for hence the high price tag.

I want a max of 350bhp and ive seen that acheiveable with a fair few IHI But ive heard EGT Will give it...So a AFR setup is now on order then e greedy pro spec 2 which will be next month..

Don't forget il defo make a £££ maybe ££££ back from selling my Gt2x Hybrid setup..

Whats type of Injector will i need or will LCR with 4 bar do?

So Rods & supertech valves are a must then? Would a LCR fuel pump be ok too?

Yeah id be doing most of the stuff my self as thats the whole point in doing it as it basically bolt on stuff..
Ive read that its uncommon for high mileage 1.8t to have bore scoring or bore wear too? What and were can i get the rods from? as theres a few People running 380bhp with one THS on in it..

So the list would be engine wise:

New Headgasket
New Oil and Stem Seals
New Oil and Water Pump
New Crankshaft seals
New Rods
New Valves (supertech)
New Uprated Fuel Pump
Custom Downpipe & Tip
New INA engine mounts
New Timing and ALT belt

What and who could i get to make the oil & water lines up? And is the Vf34 to go for or would the Vf22 Be ok?

How much is Ceramic coating?
The reason for me going down the IHI route as it wouldnt take long for me to get all the bits due to cost..

But a Gt2871R is way expensive just on its own aint it? And a Vf34 is £400 as thats what ive been offered...Would a Td04 fit on the IhI Js manifolds?

Edit: or ive been offered a IHI VF35 in awesome Nick is this a good buy?

Last edited:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Buy a new turbo. A second hand mani, dp etc etc can be inspected much more easily when a turbo cant be. And IHI VF34 can only do a reliable 330bhp before it will go pop imo.

steven878

Jan 2, 2009
you should get a 5 door golf gti mk4 and carry out ihi conversion. keep everything hidden and the exhaust quiet so it can still be used too go places with ur kid, but still goes like stink and is pretty much the same as the ibiza underneath the panels.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
My list was...

Main bearings
Rods
Piston kit
Gasket set
Valve stem oil seals
Chain tensioner and chain

I should have done valves and oil pump/pickup at the same time but i had run out of money by that time. I will do them at some point tho, probably when i do the turbo as i's like to get the head off when the engine is out to fit the mani and turbo easier.

I'll also be fitting a new oil pump and pick up when i do my baffled sump when i pull my finger out and order one.

If, and its a big if, if you do rods and valves then i personally wouldnt bother with the ihi flanged series, go with something that gives you more scope to upgrade, go with bills mani with an external WG and a T3, that will give you options to LOADS of choices.

I personally dont want massive power but something that holds power will and spools pretty quick, thats why im opting for a 28rs. Nice fun turbo. :D

Backdraft

Dont forget to inspect the valve guides as they will more than likely be very worn and need replacing. If i were you i would take the engine out. You can remove and inspect the crank as it could need a polish or regrind. You can clean the block up nicely then too.

Why go IHI? Garrett all the way.

JBS Sales

IHI or Garrett,both are equally as good in my opinion

To make a reliable 330bhp you could either go for a IHI 16G or as many people have said the 28RS - both will offer decent spool times and power holding.

To go with either turbo i would recomend a equal lenth top mount manifold,this way you can upgrade to a larger turbo at any point without the need for a different manifold.

The oil and coolant lines for either setup would have to be custom made to suit,this means you can run them out of the way for a clean,uncluttered engine bay.

The ceramic coating would aid spool up and lower under bonnet temperatures,the cost is dependant on what components you have coated

Leigh

jamiebennett81

so when do you plan to get this all in and done then Danny?

sticking to the theme of 350bhp which as you say is what you want, why not get the gt28rs with an 064 housing?

VF35 is from the UK STI scooby models right? which is about 330bhp? what is the different spool time between the gt28rs and VF?

would the VF be more laggy as this is typically driven by a 2.5 litre scooby engine and you are fitting this to a 1.8?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Thanks Phil And Jbs awesome Help:D

The Gt2871r is around £1,000 on its own i have around that for turbo and Manifold...

Ive been Offered a 12kmiles Vf35 ihi for £250 Posted and a Tig-art Ihi Manifold of Beattie too...(But its underslung)

Do i need New Injectors too for the 350bhp mark..Its Just started Now as ive just Bought all the engine Seals & gaskets,Oil & water Pump...

Ive only mentioned about changin the Gt2x to a Ihi on this site and ive had 4 U2us and 9 Emails about people wanting the complete setup...Do if i sold all the setup i could basically buy Jbs Stage 1 kit For £1780...

Got a guy getting back to me at 8pm about a price on Superteh valves and Scat Rods But i aint sure if mine are 19mm 0r 20mm Pins Its a Xreg engine Aqx engine...

Alex: As for the crank id use a 225 Bam Crank and piston unless i could fine a decent price of Wossner Ones..

Its all about price and time tbh and i could have all the bits in around 2-3months if i pull my finger out...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise