• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Anything below 0.3V.

It's supposed to collect moisture at 1% a year, and 3% is when you're supposed to change it.

No idea how much it affects clutch feel in these cars though, if at all, even though it acts as the clutch fluid as well. Old brake fluid is just supposed to have a raised boiling point, which you'd only ever really have problems with on a track day. The road is full of cars with ancient brake fluid.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Anything below 0.3V.

It's supposed to collect moisture at 1% a year, and 3% is when you're supposed to change it.

No idea how much it affects clutch feel in these cars though, if at all, even though it acts as the clutch fluid as well. Old brake fluid is just supposed to have a raised boiling point, which you'd only ever really have problems with on a track day. The road is full of cars with ancient brake fluid.
I’ve never had the fluid changed only time is top up on brake pad change, only other thing it can be is the clutch or even the pressure plate

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
none of my cars have never been checked

If the brakes pass, aren't binding and the pads and discs are in good condition, I don't think they see any reason to look any further. My pedal is pretty soft and sinks, but even then, nobody's ever looked any further - and the soft pedal has never been mentioned by any tester. I neglected my brakes for a really long time, and it's possible when I bled them a few years back, they were on their original fluid, but for all those years.

You lot with your Brembos are super lucky though - the threads on the standard calipers you get with the FR are softer than an old man's todger. I don't need that kind of anxiety bleeding my brakes.

In other news, I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement headlamp assembly from the @Thai-wronghorse eBay store. Been driving around with my lights on for days and there's no sign of the condensation going. Will give them a polish and lacquer when they're off the car and hope I find the time to fit it before my MoT.

7d1699df0e66f1ef18873297e0481a34.jpg

Think it's about time...

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Turns out swapping out a dead Pioneer stereo for the equivalent Kenwood is a PITA.

Everything on the Kenwood is different, even down to the microphone jack connector. Faffing around swapping the cage now because the generic universal one that fit the Pioneer like a glove doesn't fit Kenwood (and presumably JVCs since they're the same company).

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Turns out swapping out a dead Pioneer stereo for the equivalent Kenwood is a PITA.

Everything on the Kenwood is different, even down to the microphone jack connector. Faffing around swapping the cage now because the generic universal one that fit the Pioneer like a glove doesn't fit Kenwood (and presumably JVCs since they're the same company).
There’s a surround you can get for the head unit off eBay I’ve got one for the kenwood still a bit flimsy I just put the original back in the end and I’ve got a couple of better head units

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
It's a double din conversion from Rob Sheldrake, so I've had to reverse engineer it a bit to change the cage. Just had to order some wafer headed screws so they don't catch on the head unit, so we'll see if they work tomorrow

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
looked into double din a while back, some nice units and the original seat one but that was silly money for old tech so ended up binning it all off lol also i needed the double din dash replacement and they was hard to get but i see them more now

Reactions: Alexis27
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise