• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
You ever think you're unlucky to only find out you're extremely lucky? Settle down kiddos, tis story time.

Pulled out of my road on my morning commute to be greeted by both ABS and traction control light on. Keep driving, the car feels weird with a grinding sound, not constant but repeating a lot.

Uh oh, that's not good, think my wheel bearing is on the way out or I've got some crap in the hub.

I take it easy to get to work, thinking I'll call a friend later. At work I check the brake discs. Drivers side, lukewarm. Passenger side, insta-burn. Disc looks two tone. Crap, pretty certain it's the wheel bearing.

Can't get the car picked up so nurse it to parents house, a couple of mile down the road, to borrow a suicide jack so I can check.

Wheel in the air, hands 12 and 6... it's like the wheel nuts are barely in. Yup, wheel bearing totally gone. Lower the car, think "I better check it's not the wheel bolts", pop the hub cap off and something isn't where it's meant to be.

Not the wheel bolts. This...

View attachment 39995 View attachment 39996

That means I did about 10 miles (in theory) with only the splines of the driveshaft and the brake caliper holding the NSF wheel on.

Terrifying might be an understatement.

Right, so on that note I think I might go buy a lottery ticket because that's some unbelievable luck I've got going on
That is insane m8 scary stuff. Glad you had something watching over you 😇

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Do you think it has been weakened by over tightening in the past?
Get yourself a lottery ticket! Though I’ve been buying them for years and here i am still driving a mk1. 😂

Nope, that's from the hub being at an angle compared to the housing and stressing the part enough to break it.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
You ever think you're unlucky to only find out you're extremely lucky? Settle down kiddos, tis story time.

Pulled out of my road on my morning commute to be greeted by both ABS and traction control light on. Keep driving, the car feels weird with a grinding sound, not constant but repeating a lot.

Uh oh, that's not good, think my wheel bearing is on the way out or I've got some crap in the hub.

I take it easy to get to work, thinking I'll call a friend later. At work I check the brake discs. Drivers side, lukewarm. Passenger side, insta-burn. Disc looks two tone. Crap, pretty certain it's the wheel bearing.

Can't get the car picked up so nurse it to parents house, a couple of mile down the road, to borrow a suicide jack so I can check.

Wheel in the air, hands 12 and 6... it's like the wheel nuts are barely in. Yup, wheel bearing totally gone. Lower the car, think "I better check it's not the wheel bolts", pop the hub cap off and something isn't where it's meant to be.

Not the wheel bolts. This...

View attachment 39995 View attachment 39996

That means I did about 10 miles (in theory) with only the splines of the driveshaft and the brake caliper holding the NSF wheel on.

Terrifying might be an understatement.

Right, so on that note I think I might go buy a lottery ticket because that's some unbelievable luck I've got going on
Wtf and you’ve only just had an mot surely there must of been a sign of that issue then as they rock the wheels on test to check for worn bearings,
bad feeling that I had two wheels not tightened up when they they were refurbished, one wheel all the bolts were out bar one and I’d just been down the motorway

Last edited:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Wtf and you’ve only just had an mot surely there must of been a sign of that issue then as they rock the wheels on test to check for worn bearings,
Do they actually test for worn bearings, If they do I have certainly had experience with it being missed.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Do they actually test for worn bearings, If they do I have certainly had experience with it being missed.
On the mot yes if done correct, they ether manual rock/pull each wheel even some ramps have a machine to do it its all to test if there is any movement/play on the wheel , any play on wheel its bearing or further investigation, had a few cars fail over bearing even before i hear the noise from them.. that main hub bolt shearing like that on MoToJoJo car that defiantly would of come up, mental that unless the wheel was hit on recent crash he had..

Last edited:

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Found these on a site on Facebook. I think they look quite good. Was gonna get one made for leon when it's built.. what's people's thoughts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_124349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_124349_Samsung Internet.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240107_145130_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_145130_Samsung Internet.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 48

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
bad feeling that I had two wheels not tightened up when they they were refurbished, one wheel all the bolts were out bar one and I’d just been down the motorway

Had that on my car when I had a control arm replaced. Don't remember why I paid someone to do that when I can do it myself, but in short, where I'd take off the ball joint, they took out the driveshaft, and then didn't do the nut up properly after

At the MoT, the (different) garage thought it was wheel bearings, only to find out was all hanging on by a thread. Can't think how many miles I did on it before then.

I go to that garage now and not the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Had that on my car when I had a control arm replaced. Don't remember why I paid someone to do that when I can do it myself, but in short, where I'd take off the ball joint, they took out the driveshaft, and then didn't do the nut up properly after

At the MoT, the (different) garage thought it was wheel bearings, only to find out was all hanging on by a thread. Can't think how many miles I did on it before then.

I go to that garage now and not the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going to a good garage is like trusting a good dentist, shocking feeling that then you starting thinking what if 😳

Reactions: iammooks

paradyne

May 30, 2004
UK, Bucks
Today while it wasn't actually raining, I attempted to change my radiator fan switch as I appear to only have slow fans when aircon is running. I'd noticed this several weeks ago during the cold snap when I was sitting in the car when it was idling - at the time it was too cold for aircon to be working - when all of a sudden the temp gauge needle started going up. Thankfully popping the heater on full blast with windows open allowed it to come back down to normal temp, and I switched off for a bit pondering about if I had a coolant leak. Within another 10 mins I was driving anyway so temp seemed ok forjourney home.

So I dutifully removed battery and box and relocated the fan control module temporarily for better access... until I found that the FEBI 10114 replacement fan switch I bought had the square plug and not the triangular one required. DOH! 🤦‍♂️

I really should have noticed it beforehand, given I'd watched some Audi TT videos about checking the fans and bridging connections to prove the fans run ok.
Annoyingly the initial part number and picture of it came from 7zap site which pictured a square connector for the 1.8, and equally the ebay listing had 1.8T 20V on the compatability list - that'll learn me!!

So is the right one the FEBI 36563 instead ?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Been a while since I've had to do work on a car at the side of the road. Things actually went pretty well with only the ARB link being a pain as I stripped the whole suspension leg off (inc driveshaft).

So, normally driveshafts are a pain to remove but it popped out very easily, the hub was worn enough that I took it out of the bearing by hand, and the caliper carrier had borne the brunt of the pain, machining 3-5mm off part of the slider where the pad sits.

New hub and bearing fitted (fortunately the housing was fine), fitted it all back in without trouble. I used the "Yup, I ain't turning that any further" method for torquing the bolts, except for the hub nut and the wheel nuts. Yup, this is so cowboy that I might as well be wearing spurs but it was just to get the car home, will recheck the various bolts ASAP.

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Been a while since I've had to do work on a car at the side of the road. Things actually went pretty well with only the ARB link being a pain as I stripped the whole suspension leg off (inc driveshaft).

So, normally driveshafts are a pain to remove but it popped out very easily, the hub was worn enough that I took it out of the bearing by hand, and the caliper carrier had borne the brunt of the pain, machining 3-5mm off part of the slider where the pad sits.

New hub and bearing fitted (fortunately the housing was fine), fitted it all back in without trouble. I used the "Yup, I ain't turning that any further" method for torquing the bolts, except for the hub nut and the wheel nuts. Yup, this is so cowboy that I might as well be wearing spurs but it was just to get the car home, will recheck the various bolts ASAP.
Yeah I will definitely also check all wheel bolts on my ride. You never know...

Reactions: MoToJoJo

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
It’s one of those days of the year when my fingernails get shorter sat in the MOT waiting room.
It was the grey Leon’s turn today for the mot man to Prod, poke and check if it can proudly be presented with its new peice of crisp white paper confirming it can cut it on the road for another year amongst all these new gigantic monstrosities.
Watching it sit there idling while the probe is inserted while there is still a small amount of smoke coming out the exhaust on a cold and frosty morning I started to fear the worst.
Thankfully I had nothing to worry about and it passed with just one very minor advisory for an exhaust bracket. 😅
Admittedly this isn’t my daily motor but over two years and about 6000 miles aside from two services and two MOT’s this old girl hasn’t cost me a penny in repairs or maintenance.
I’ve probably just doomed it now writing this and I do have a couple of small jobs on my list for this year but what a joy it’s been for the last 7 years.

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
It’s one of those days of the year when my fingernails get shorter sat in the MOT waiting room.
It was the grey Leon’s turn today for the mot man to Prod, poke and check if it can proudly be presented with its new peice of crisp white paper confirming it can cut it on the road for another year amongst all these new gigantic monstrosities.
Watching it sit there idling while the probe is inserted while there is still a small amount of smoke coming out the exhaust on a cold and frosty morning I started to fear the worst.
Thankfully I had nothing to worry about and it passed with just one very minor advisory for an exhaust bracket. 😅
Admittedly this isn’t my daily motor but over two years and about 6000 miles aside from two services and two MOT’s this old girl hasn’t cost me a penny in repairs or maintenance.
I’ve probably just doomed it now writing this and I do have a couple of small jobs on my list for this year but what a joy it’s been for the last 7 years.
That's good to hear m8. Always a relief when they hand you the keys back & a clean bill of health. 👍
I know what you mean about those 'over sized monstrosities'. It's got out of hand, & from where I sit, I'd much rather be lower to the ground than up there. The worst thing is they can barely fit in a parking spot & the number of times I have had them open their doors on my car, like I'm not there. 🤨

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
That's good to hear m8. Always a relief when they hand you the keys back & a clean bill of health. 👍
I know what you mean about those 'over sized monstrosities'. It's got out of hand, & from where I sit, I'd much rather be lower to the ground than up there. The worst thing is they can barely fit in a parking spot & the number of times I have had them open their doors on my car, like I'm not there. 🤨
Even my daily 2008 Subaru Legacy estate is dwarfed by everything. :ROFLMAO:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
They also help break up the road surface (eg potholes) perhaps they should add in the weight of a car in the car tax calculation.

Reactions: BadBoy03
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.