• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Bloody Pioneer double din screen has gone haywire. Stripes on the screen and then reboots or dies. Hard reset made it work for an hour or so before the screen of death came back.
Taking it back to Halfords tomorrow - cost me £330 2 years ago.

paradyne

May 30, 2004
UK, Bucks
Bloody Pioneer double din screen has gone haywire. Stripes on the screen and then reboots or dies. Hard reset made it work for an hour or so before the screen of death came back.
I pray you have success in Halfrauds - Ideally you bought it using a credit card as that will get you more leverage to resolve. Otherwise they may fall back on the 1yr warranty and try to wriggle out of it.

Reactions: BadBoy03

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Debit card I'm afraid. Although doing a Section 75 claim on a credit card takes months and the bank will always fob you off at first, so it's not a magic bullet.

Comes down to reasonable lifespan for the price though, up to a maximum of 6 years (£330 stereo should last at least 5 years I'd argue). Do the head units on brand new cars leaving the factory all conk out after 2 years?

Also useful to prove the fault was present from new. Seems like a lot of these units have an inherent fault:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comments/13oh0h8
Warranties are really only an additional period of time where they'll give you a refund. Out of warranty you can still get a repair or replacement (although probably not if you bought a £20 Asda Smartprice kettle and it died after 12 months).

Reactions: paradyne

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Debit card I'm afraid. Although doing a Section 75 claim on a credit card takes months and the bank will always fob you off at first, so it's not a magic bullet.

Comes down to reasonable lifespan for the price though, up to a maximum of 6 years (£330 stereo should last at least 5 years I'd argue). Do the head units on brand new cars leaving the factory all conk out after 2 years?

Also useful to prove the fault was present from new. Seems like a lot of these units have an inherent fault:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CarAV/comments/13oh0h8
Warranties are really only an additional period of time where they'll give you a refund. Out of warranty you can still get a repair or replacement (although probably not if you bought a £20 Asda Smartprice kettle and it died after 12 months).
Best of luck m8. Another pain in the ass job you don't need! I'd definitely back up your claim with the evidence you've found online. 🤞

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Pioneer is not what it was, you'd be better getting an old retro unit off ebay at least they will last if they offer a refund take it as it looks like they had big issues on that redit post you put up

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I pray you have success in Halfrauds - Ideally you bought it using a credit card as that will get you more leverage to resolve. Otherwise they may fall back on the 1yr warranty and try to wriggle out of it.
Yeah it didn't go so well in branch. "1 year warranty with us, after that talk to Pioneer". He was a bloody big bloke so I wasn't going have a legal shouting match with him in store.
Anyway, the eggheads on Martin Lewis's forum agreed with me so I'm sorting out a letter to email Halfords HQ.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
In other news, I noticed the hockey puck was still an original 2003, so I've replaced it with a new genuine one.
Made quite a bit of difference. I must have been losing a bit of power when changing up the gears because now it feels like it's not losing any boost when changing up.

Well worth changing if yours is old.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Yeah it didn't go so well in branch. "1 year warranty with us, after that talk to Pioneer". He was a bloody big bloke so I wasn't going have a legal shouting match with him in store.
Anyway, the eggheads on Martin Lewis's forum agreed with me so I'm sorting out a letter to email Halfords HQ.
I had a pioneer av amp that went just out of warranty years ago they did repair it but the shop was on good terms with pioneer though
Gets me when they plaster warranty on the box like that, Aldi are the same with electrical gear after 6 months you got to contact the main Aldi returns online or phone

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
In other news, I noticed the hockey puck was still an original 2003, so I've replaced it with a new genuine one.
Made quite a bit of difference. I must have been losing a bit of power when changing up the gears because now it feels like it's not losing any boost when changing up.

Well worth changing if yours is old.
Hockey puck?

Reactions: BadBoy03

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
This weekend... did not go as planned

20231209_134103.jpg

Sad Leon face.

That's what happens when someone goes for a gap, you go for the next gap only to find out the driver in front bailed on their gap and decided to wait for the gap after yours.

But, a quickish visit to The VAG Yard and

20231209_162522.jpg

I dunno what other people think of Aaron but he did me a real solid on this one. It was never going to be good as new but it looks way better than it did. Really happy with the result.

Now I just get to wait to see how bad the fallout will be on the insurance (eventually)

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset

View attachment 39563

Sad Leon face.

That's what happens when someone goes for a gap, you go for the next gap only to find out the driver in front bailed on their gap and decided to wait for the gap after yours.

View attachment 39564

I dunno what other people think of Aaron but he did me a real solid on this one. It was never going to be good as new but it looks way better than it did. Really happy with the result.

Now I just get to wait to see how bad the fallout will be on the insurance (eventually)
I'd say Aaron has done an awesome job, even the bonnet is sitting tight & tidy. Glad you've saved it's face 👍👋
Good luck with the insurance 😬

Last edited:

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

View attachment 39563

Sad Leon face.

View attachment 39564

I seen the post on fb page other day going through the fix

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Right, to add a little bit of positivity cuz something good should come out of 2023, the results of my (not so extensive) research.

Digging about on Autodoc I saw that the wheel hubs from the Mk1 and Mk3 Leon (sub 120bhp version as they run a beam axle) have the same internal diameter. Could it really it be that easy? So, I bought a used rear stub axle and took the hub off. Does it fit on the Mk1 Leon stub? Yes... and no. It does physically fit but the ABS sensor is too far forward so no go.

Then I looked at the Mk3 stub and thought "I could always do an adapter plate, sort of like PCD changing spacers". So I offered up the Mk3 stub to the Mk1 axle...

It only bloody well bolts up as is!

This means if you want to run 5x112 without ABS or the fun of adapters, bolt on a Mk3 Leon (or others) stub axle and you're a good way there (there's brakes to line up etc but such is life).

Now, I do want to keep the ABS cuz it's a technical challenge so an adapter plate will be necessary as the Mk1 Leon has the sensor on the stub axle but the Mk3 doesn't.

The conversion probably won't be done till this time next year but it is progressing

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.