• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
i think i know which you mean, its got a cloth cover but a pic would help , well battery's are only going to go up £94 now the one i bought

9fd8ad89f8d15fef1739b2e23a2be06a.jpg

Yep - you know the one. It's absolutely wet with oil. I just cut the heat shield cloth off it and can't see any signs of it having broken, so I guess it must just be a seal that's gone at the end or something. The bit that attaches to the intake pipe is actually a separate piece, so it could be that it's not a tight fit anymore or something. Probably enough to lose boost pressure and affect performance, but not enough for the usual symptoms.

Tax return and MoT in the next few weeks, so the battery might have to wait, but it's definitely on the list. I've seen a battery at that price, so know where I'd be getting it from. I think you were the one who recommended Varta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
9fd8ad89f8d15fef1739b2e23a2be06a.jpg

Yep - you know the one. It's absolutely wet with oil. I just cut the heat shield cloth off it and can't see any signs of it having broken, so I guess it must just be a seal that's gone at the end or something. The bit that attaches to the intake pipe is actually a separate piece, so it could be that it's not a tight fit anymore or something. Probably enough to lose boost pressure and affect performance, but not enough for the usual symptoms.

Tax return and MoT in the next few weeks, so the battery might have to wait, but it's definitely on the list. I've seen a battery at that price, so know where I'd be getting it from. I think you were the one who recommended Varta?

Yea I had a look at that last night dry as a bone , got the air filter side off had an odd clip system other that a bit of oil ais it’s attached too the crank case inside was ok,

this is one I got , higher rated than the standard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-E4...8-9a090d9a728a&epid=248477411&redirect=mobile

I got it direct from there site..

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yea I had a look at that last night dry as a bone , got the air filter side off had an odd clip system other that a bit of oil ais it’s attached too the crank case inside was ok,

this is one I got , higher rated than the standard

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-E4...8-9a090d9a728a&epid=248477411&redirect=mobile

I got it direct from there site..

That's exactly the battery I've got on my watch list.

Drove the car today for the first time since changing that pipe. Started easily and seemed to run better. Checked the pipe afterwards and no oil, so that's one thing off the list at least... Got a motorway drive planned next week, so we'll see if the fuel consumption is back to normal too.

I know this'll come back to haunt me but I'm glad most of the issues I have with this car aren't bankrupting me...

Next week, catastrophic engine failure...

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
That's exactly the battery I've got on my watch list.

Drove the car today for the first time since changing that pipe. Started easily and seemed to run better. Checked the pipe afterwards and no oil, so that's one thing off the list at least... Got a motorway drive planned next week, so we'll see if the fuel consumption is back to normal too.

I know this'll come back to haunt me but I'm glad most of the issues I have with this car aren't bankrupting me...

Next week, catastrophic engine failure...

I did post that battery a while back you may of saved it, did the pipe have a crack in it seems odd , on engine side mine had a spring hose clip i removed that but hose was tight so i did not force it off did yours have that clip

look like this
1673474475674.png

Last edited:

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
There's something wrong with my car and it's freaking me out...

There's no warning lights on the dash.

I'm not used to this so I'm pretty sure something's about to go terminally wrong.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I did post that battery a while back you may of saved it, did the pipe have a crack in it seems odd , on engine side mine had a spring hose clip i removed that but hose was tight so i did not force it off did yours have that clip

look like this
View attachment 35132

Sounds about right about the battery - it's been on my watch list a while, so it wouldn't surprise me...

I've seen some photos of the engine where that clip is missing, so it doesn't seem to make a massive amount of difference, but I still had mine so I kept it on. I wasn't able to get that side of the pipe on completely flush, but it seems plenty secure in the meantime.

There's something wrong with my car and it's freaking me out...

There's no warning lights on the dash.

I'm not used to this so I'm pretty sure something's about to go terminally wrong.

I know that feeling - what's happening?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
I know that feeling - what's happening?

I switch the car on, all the lights come on (I did have to double check this part), start the car and all the lights go off, not even the EML stays on.

I refuse to believe my car is working without fault (at least with the engine, there's still plenty of other stuff left to fix)

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I switch the car on, all the lights come on (I did have to double check this part), start the car and all the lights go off, not even the EML stays on.

I refuse to believe my car is working without fault (at least with the engine, there's still plenty of other stuff left to fix)

Standard PD150 operating procedure.

In spite of all the issues I've had with my car, the only thing that ever gave me a CEL was the coolant temperature sensor, and even that was an intermittent fault, and that happened in the past couple of months. I've owned that car for nearly fifteen years and that's all I've ever had.

Doesn't stop me driving it convinced the engine is going to blow up any moment now... At this point I wouldn't even know how it would feel if it was running well. One day we'll have to meet up and drive each other's cars and compare notes.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

I would start checking the fuses water from the cold could of got in especially the box in engine bay even the one on top of the battery , could be just a bad contact like corrosion or a weak fuse also there's an earth under the battery tray they can rot or rust from what I've read

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
You did well! Mine's on 94k and passed on Thursday but with some advisories:

• Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Power steering pipe/hose slightly corroded (2.1.5 (g) (i))
  • Power steering pipe/hose has slight seepage (2.1.5 (a))
  • Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases Corroded (6.1.2 (a))
The power steering pipes are obsolete so they gave me the part numbers to source them. They're a good garage to pass it because there's a bit more than a seepage! Luckily LLL Parts can still supply them from Lithuania. The downside is that it cost me £300.
Also getting the coil spring sorted because that'll inevitably snap.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
You did well! Mine's on 94k and passed on Thursday but with some advisories:

• Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
  • Power steering pipe/hose slightly corroded (2.1.5 (g) (i))
  • Power steering pipe/hose has slight seepage (2.1.5 (a))
  • Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases Corroded (6.1.2 (a))
The power steering pipes are obsolete so they gave me the part numbers to source them. They're a good garage to pass it because there's a bit more than a seepage! Luckily LLL Parts can still supply them from Lithuania. The downside is that it cost me £300.
Also getting the coil spring sorted because that'll inevitably snap.
have you tried this site not sure if i got car right

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Thanks. They might well work but they're coming up as fitting the A engines on LLL Parts - AUM, AUQ etc.

The garage gave me 1ML1422819 and 1J24444973G, so I've just stuck with ordering those.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Drove to Basingstoke today to pick up a mountain bike, so had a good run. Car is back to 50+mpg so I think changing the CCV pipe has worked a treat.

Noticed my side indicator on the driver's side isn't working though. From what I can see, it's the whole unit that needs changing, but after doing a bit of research, I'm hearing things about Fiesta mk6 indicators being a good swap? Any thoughts on this?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Drove to Basingstoke today to pick up a mountain bike, so had a good run. Car is back to 50+mpg so I think changing the CCV pipe has worked a treat.

Noticed my side indicator on the driver's side isn't working though. From what I can see, it's the whole unit that needs changing, but after doing a bit of research, I'm hearing things about Fiesta mk6 indicators being a good swap? Any thoughts on this?

For the indicators find some genuine VW ones. The aftermarket ones are crap - they crack in the sun

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
For the indicators find some genuine VW ones. The aftermarket ones are crap - they crack in the sun

Worth checking - can the bulbs be changed? If it's just a matter of swapping in a new one I'll just do that. There's nothing wrong with the housing in any case...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, you can just pop them out and change the bulb.

Ah perfect - thank you. With the MoT in the next few weeks and the low likelihood of actually getting anything quickly from the internet these days, that's a massive relief. Will lever it out and get a new bulb. I think there's been water getting in, so a good chance to clean it and make sure it's as it should be.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.