• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Not much been happening with me but with Xmas coming up I've got a few little bits for the car including a hybrid sump, some 5w30 oil (yeah, I know it's meant to be 5w40 but at least it's 507 spec). Oh and a couple of mismatched seats because... reasons

Reactions: Alexis27

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Fitted a Pipercross panel filter and gave it a test to and from the pub for the match.
Definitely a bit throatier and more punch in the mid range. No different at the top end really.
This is with the Badger 5 bigger TIP. Just been running it with the standard air box and filter and was thinking about a cone, but probably not worth it for stock. Better panel filter seems a good buy though, but doubt it'll do much with the standard size TIP.
Went for the Panelcross by the way because it was the only one I could find some concrete evidence on the internet of a power hike on a stock car - 4 horsepower on a Skoda Octavia VRS E888 engine. Maybe I'm getting 7 or 8 with the oversize TIP, who knows.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Finally got round to replacing the door lock on my front passenger door.

Getting the panel off was fun as someone had used enough silicone to seal up the Titanic. The electrical connector to the lock was... stubborn. Actually emptying the lock was easy enough.

Then...

20221227_114727.jpg

The metal ring is meant to rotate to allow part of the door handle to slide out to unhook the lock. Wasn't happening!

Ah well, all sorted, one more thing ticked off the never ending list

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
This car is going to give me a heart attack.

MoT is coming up in the new year so decided to have a look in my EGR just to see what it looks like after a year. Pulled out the elbow boost pipe on the EGR side and water comes out. Not masses of it, but it's water all the same.

89b0bc3039606297e80996f9e7e81c30.jpg

EGR

10ae558555978ccfaaae0cc64c8b07d6.jpg

Plastic boost pipe to intercooler

ce1f093cc8b11d441da2e9c7bb135cc5.jpg

Inside of elbow boost pipe

I've checked the oil, both the dipstick and the oil fill, and there's no sign of water in there, and there's no milkshake anywhere other than in the elbow pipe, but it's still a worry.

It's definitely not coolant though - it's clear and doesn't smell like coolant.

Breather hose on top of the engine is very wet and oily. Boost gauge doesn't suggest there's a leak.

Last time I drove, it was super heavy rain the entire journey for nearly two hours - maybe that has something to do with it?

I'll check the intercooler pipes and the turbo/pancake side of things when I go back home, but has anyone else had or heard of similar? Most threads I find just die off before anyone gets to the bottom of it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Front intercooler or clips could of sucked in water if your getting no boost issues you can rule out a hole in a pipe unless pin size, only place I could think it comes in.. never seen that issue posted also unless I missed it.

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Front intercooler or clips could of sucked in water if your getting no boost issues you can rule out a hole in a pipe unless pin size, only place I could think it comes in.. never seen that issue posted also unless I missed it.

Yeah, it just seems really weird. There aren't many threads out there about it to begin with, and the ones there are just end without any idea as to what the problem was.

I checked the air filter too just to make sure, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's the crank case breather hose. I was going to pull it off to see if there was any water in that, and it was wet with oil and maybe water. It's always been completely dry before now, so I'm thinking maybe the plastic has degraded and now it's broken and letting oil out and water in. If it's connected to the air intake, the turbo is going to be sucking air and water through that maybe.

They're not expensive, so I think I'll start with that.

Nov 12, 2022
Hi guys,

Managed to find time today to fix some niggles.

Replaced all the glow plugs, only to find out the harness is smashed to bits, so ordered one off TPS to pick up Tuesday. Replaced the alternator belt and tensioner while I was there too as the squeak was doin my head in.

Also fitted me new wheels and spacers, love the colour combo.

Just waiting on the brembos getting refurbished now and slap them on.

Cheers

Crackett

Attachments

• 20221229_140751.jpg
    20221229_140751.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 68
Dec 29, 2022
Hello fellas, today I find some time for the car. I install armrest (such a bless) and replace the wipers instrument because i accidentally broke mine, but i installed one with board computer buttons, but my car doesn't have it.. so am planing to install it :)

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Was getting water in footwell from the scuttle panel... dunno why 🤣🤣🤣

20221229_122419.jpg

Got that cleared out n found out someone had already siliconed the relay box lid. Downside? They hadn't removed the OEM foam first. Upside? At least that made it very easy for me to remove the silicone and foam. Resealed with a metric s#!t ton of butyl (also did cabin filter housing while I was there)

Gonna miss my private mobile swimming pool

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sent it for MoT... it lives to see another year!
That's on the cards for me too. I'm waiting for my new CCV breather pipe to arrive and hopefully that will solve my water in the boost pipes issues. The pipe is definitely wet with oil, and it never has been before, so I'm hoping that's all it'll take.

I was more worried about water in the engine causing the pistons to seize. A couple of times over Christmas it was like the engine was fighting when I turned it over - not like it was hard to start, more like how it feels when you turn the engine over when it's already running. Took the girlfriend to the doctor this morning though and it started fine, and no issues running or shakes or thumps when I turned it off either.

And the light switch works too... Bonus...

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
That's on the cards for me too. I'm waiting for my new CCV breather pipe to arrive and hopefully that will solve my water in the boost pipes issues. The pipe is definitely wet with oil, and it never has been before, so I'm hoping that's all it'll take.

I was more worried about water in the engine causing the pistons to seize. A couple of times over Christmas it was like the engine was fighting when I turned it over - not like it was hard to start, more like how it feels when you turn the engine over when it's already running. Took the girlfriend to the doctor this morning though and it started fine, and no issues running or shakes or thumps when I turned it off either.

Maybe slightly sticky starter? Tbh mine was playing silly beggars before Christmas, the clutch pedal wouldn't return and once or twice it'd struggle to get into gear. Soon as the weather got warmer it went away.

Gotta love how these cars throw up weird problems that make no sense

Reactions: Yellow fr

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

What's the CCV breather pipe ? Didn't you say you were going to change the battery?

Last edited:

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Maybe slightly sticky starter? Tbh mine was playing silly beggars before Christmas, the clutch pedal wouldn't return and once or twice it'd struggle to get into gear. Soon as the weather got warmer it went away.

Gotta love how these cars throw up weird problems that make no sense
always get odd issues in winter i had a problem with the drivers door master window/central locking button as it was relocking on its own i used contact cleaner seems tobe ok , happens again ill strip it down, the rear doors locks went in winter a few years ago also but i think the motors were wearing out anyway, the puddle light micro switch can stick sometimes in winter but contact cleaner can fix that while there on the door,happens on the rear doors as there not used much..

Reactions: Yellow fr

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
What's the CCV breather pipe ? Didn't you say you were going to change the battery?

That's the one on top of the PD150 engine that goes back into the air intake. I checked mine the other week and the heat shield around it was completely soaking in oil. Either the seals were failing or the pipe had a hole in it - I'll cut off the heat shield tomorrow to see if I can see anything.

I replaced it today with a Febi one and it fit up well. Time will tell if it solves the problem I was having with reduced fuel efficiency.

The fun part is that the water I had in my boost pipes seems to have cleared itself up now, and at the same time, if it actually ended up cleaning the EGR, from what I could see of it the other day, it might have even taken some of the soot out of the intake manifold. Which could also be a bad thing.

One of these days I might get around to changing the battery. God knows I've taken it out enough times this past year to make it worth my while.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
That's the one on top of the PD150 engine that goes back into the air intake. I checked mine the other week and the heat shield around it was completely soaking in oil. Either the seals were failing or the pipe had a hole in it - I'll cut off the heat shield tomorrow to see if I can see anything.

I replaced it today with a Febi one and it fit up well. Time will tell if it solves the problem I was having with reduced fuel efficiency.

The fun part is that the water I had in my boost pipes seems to have cleared itself up now, and at the same time, if it actually ended up cleaning the EGR, from what I could see of it the other day, it might have even taken some of the soot out of the intake manifold. Which could also be a bad thing.

One of these days I might get around to changing the battery. God knows I've taken it out enough times this past year to make it worth my while.

i think i know which you mean, its got a cloth cover but a pic would help , well battery's are only going to go up £94 now the one i bought

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)