What did you and your MK2 do today?

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
They look to be around 4100K colour temp which is slightly yellower than the standard bulbs. I actually think the OEM ones are philips bulbs anyway

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Fair enough. So then just leave them as is?

Personally I would, but then they may well be better than the standard ones, I don't know. If I was to change I'd probably go for the osram cool blue intense, philips xtreme vision or philips blue vision bulbs. All are going on £150 for two.

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
To be honest there really isn't anything wrong with the current setup.

Nope the standard bulbs are good, but I was trying to match my led sidelights a bit better! The bulbs I currently have in look better if you're looking at the headlight but the light output is no where near as good.

Tander

Nov 28, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Oh I have my fogs come on during the day. They have 5000k HiDs in them. When it gets dark my main beams turn on and fogs turn off automatically. The fogs match the OEM xenons pretty closely.

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
It's simple guys..

HiDs in normal headlight housings are unfocused, lots if glare and blind other road users. Those are the facts and it's the HiDs. Not the adjustments as you can't adjust it in a normal headlight housing. It's the reflective housing that causes this.

In a projector housing HiDs are better and more focused.

Sorry bud but that's not true. Like I said I've had cars in the past with aftermarket hids and I never blinded anyone. They even passed an mot no bother. When I fitted them you can still see the line of the beam and that was in normal headlights.

Tander

Nov 28, 2013
Sorry bud but that's not true. Like I said I've had cars in the past with aftermarket hids and I never blinded anyone. They even passed an mot no bother. When I fitted them you can still see the line of the beam and that was in normal headlights.

I'm going to have to disagree with you bud. I have had a car with aftermarket HiDs in them. The light pattern is all over the place. Do me a favor, pull up to a wall or garage and take a photo of the light pattern on the wall and upload it here. I will then do the same with my car ( it has OEM factory xenons in a projector housing ) and you will see the light pattern will be very different and much more focus. To make it fair park around 2m away from the wall / garage.

Of course if you prove me wrong I'll gladly accept and apologize.

Tander

Nov 28, 2013
Not really. The higher output of light from the HiDs will cause a lot of glare which will show in the light pattern on the wall in a reflector housing.

You could do a compare between normal and hid and you would see HiDs as brighter. Which is their purpose in life. We are looking at light pattern / glare here. Not brightness.

Rob_Talisman

MKII CR FR 170 FL Stage 2
Sep 2, 2013
North East
quite interested in this actually. i recently changed my side lights to led bulbs and have a lovely crisp white light which is massively noticable between the light colours now. id like to whiten up my front lights to match. im happy to help in any way with tests.

robthebubble

LED & Headlight Master
Feb 22, 2011
Solihull, West Midlands
Reflectors have a different pattern to projectors as the projectors have a piece of metal cutting off the beam pattern. Now there are no problems with putting in HIDs to a reflector but as Tander says the 'crispness' of the cut off line is not the same. If you want brighter lights then install HIDs into your reflectors, if you want to reduce the dazzle then install the H7R bulbs however the best option are either OEM projector headlights or retrofit projectors into a set of headlights.

Tander

Nov 28, 2013
Reflectors have a different pattern to projectors as the projectors have a piece of metal cutting off the beam pattern. Now there are no problems with putting in HIDs to a reflector but as Tander says the 'crispness' of the cut off line is not the same. If you want brighter lights then install HIDs into your reflectors, if you want to reduce the dazzle then install the H7R bulbs however the best option are either OEM projector headlights or retrofit projectors into a set of headlights.

This I agree with. H7R bulbs would work better than normal HIDs in reflective housings. Also, OEM projectors, obviously would be the best.

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
I'm going to have to disagree with you bud. I have had a car with aftermarket HiDs in them. The light pattern is all over the place. Do me a favor, pull up to a wall or garage and take a photo of the light pattern on the wall and upload it here. I will then do the same with my car ( it has OEM factory xenons in a projector housing ) and you will see the light pattern will be very different and much more focus. To make it fair park around 2m away from the wall / garage.

Of course if you prove me wrong I'll gladly accept and apologize.

I wish I could mate but I have a car with the proper xenons now lol. Its was my last that had the aftermarket ones. When I fitted them I done exactly that tho and lined them up on my fence. You could clearly see the beam pattern. Wish I took a pic now.

[M]ike

Oct 9, 2013
Under the sea
Fitted my Revo induction kit, didn't all go too smooth. The heat shield / barrier where the cone connects to the pipework was rubbing and didn't fit. Have to modify the heat shield to make if fit properly . Sound is pretty loud but was expected going from stock to open cone filter. While the engine cover was off I checked the DV to see that its Rev D, so no need to make expenses there.