jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Yup and other places too, remember this is a track car.
The evening paper didn't do a good enough job, lol
Even a track car needs love my friend. Remove overspray with a clay bar and get the rotary out. Should look as good as new.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I will get onto machine polishing it again this year and it comes up a treat.
I knew this over spray would bother you, sorry to aggravate your OCD.
I will machine polish this car this year, you have my word and you'll see the pictures

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Maz, if you start loosing sleep over it and waking up in cold sweats, gimme a shout and I'll get my Menzera and Porter cable out and sort the fecker out for you, lol

Last night my seals for the rear calipers arrived, BONUS!!

So today's operations were to clean up the seal recesses, clean up the fluid chambers and reseal the feckers. This could only have been done with the wife at work as she wouldn't have been too happy seeing me washing the chambers out in her good clean sink, lol.

Ordinarily I would have fitted the seals first before painting and all that but the calipers were in such a state I was worried about pieces of paint and dirt blocking the small portings.
Perhaps next time I did this I would rub down and prep the calipers, then put the seals in, then paint it.

But hay ho.

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0151.jpg

So there they go.

I was worried after speaking to a mate who has done this before that the dust boots were going to be a freakin nightmare but they weren't TBH.

Not that he gave me any help and tips on how best to do it but suppose finding out for yourself gives you more job satisfaction.

The first one was a bit difficult.
After doing the first one I found the best way of doing these.

Fit the dust boot to the piston, apply plenty of silicon grease on it and in the boot recess in the caliper housing. With a caliper retracting tool push the piston all the way back.
When in this position with a very small flat bladed screwdriver push the seal, bit by bit into the caliper housing groove until you've done half of it, then grab the boot and spin it around till the inserted side is away from you and the bit still to insert is at the accessible side.
Then with screwdriver gently push the rest of the boot into the recess, job done.

So with the caliper carriers off and the bolts arriving tomorrow I'll be cleaning up and painting the carriers then fitting them on Friday probably.
I was going to change the top mount bushes on the rear but TBH they haven't been on there long and the cars only done about 8,000 miles in two years so they'll stay there for now.

Also got to re-lacquer the spare caliper and reseal it too then when doing the front end I'll change out the remaining OEM caliper for this newly refurbished one.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Looking good mate, remeber when i did a rear caliper on one, winding for ages to get the piston to start. Mine was leaking from back seal at the handbrake cable, worth replacing if you have a seal kit for the caliper, undo 13mm nut and it pushes in.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
So today's operations were to clean up the seal recesses, clean up the fluid chambers and reseal the feckers. This could only have been done with the wife at work as she wouldn't have been too happy seeing me washing the chambers out in her good clean sink, lol.

Yeah they don't like stuff like that eh, mine was pissed at me when I was cleaning and servicing my Forge DV on the worktop despite having plenty of old newspaper etc. to protect it :confused:

EDIT - clicked Post too soon, meant to also say good job on the brakes and the rust. Glad you've decided to stick with the car, look forward to seeing your efforts at the next meet maybe.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Looking good mate, remeber when i did a rear caliper on one, winding for ages to get the piston to start. Mine was leaking from back seal at the handbrake cable, worth replacing if you have a seal kit for the caliper, undo 13mm nut and it pushes in.
Too late, there back together, but have the seals if this goes in the future

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yeah they don't like stuff like that eh, mine was pissed at me when I was cleaning and servicing my Forge DV on the worktop despite having plenty of old newspaper etc. to protect it :confused:

EDIT - clicked Post too soon, meant to also say good job on the brakes and the rust. Glad you've decided to stick with the car, look forward to seeing your efforts at the next meet maybe.
Was always going to be keeping this car till its RIP.
I will be the one and only owner of this car

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
Good work dude, they look day-glo! :p

Would you say spraying is better than brushing? I'll be repainting my calipers silver again soon you see. Thinking of doing brush applied silver, applying the brembo decals and then lacquering like a bugger over the top of them

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Good work dude, they look day-glo! :p

Would you say spraying is better than brushing? I'll be repainting my calipers silver again soon you see. Thinking of doing brush applied silver, applying the brembo decals and then lacquering like a bugger over the top of them
The last picture was in low light with my Desire HD, which is not at its best then with LED flash.
100% I'd spray all coats, this allows a more even spread of the paint and also makes it easier to get into the corners plus it dries very easily and you don't have brushes to clean afterwards. So TBH there would be no benefits to brush painting these.

Lacquer would 100% be applied by spray too for the same reasons as above

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Another step closer to full track car

Engine mounts have arrived :)

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

Out with the old

P1050423.jpg

Got the caliper carriers painted and lacquered.
So once there dry and I pick up the carrier bolts from Seat today these will be rebuild and put on the car

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It's feeling a bit like christmas just now, not just the weather either, lol.

So 4 x 225-40-18 92y GG R888's arrived today :D

Also go the rear caliper carriers buffed, primed, top coated and lacquered.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Tyres for this years fun and games

IMAG0157.jpg

Painted and lacquered caliper carriers

IMAG0156.jpg

Since I went to town on the near side rust thought that it would only be right to do the same to the offside.
Due to the weather and other commitments I didn't manage to make much outside progress today, but I did manage to remove the side skirt and rear inner wheel arch.

Looks like there's the rust issue on the rear of the arch but the top mounts area looks good.
More progress tomorrow

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well today started off by rebuilding the rear caliper carriers to allow the sun to get up.

IMAG0160.jpg

Once the sun was up it was time to clean the offside side skirt and wheel arch area to see what was going on there. Not surprisingly, as I had seen the near side rust there was quite a bit of rust in here to.
this time I removed all the side skirt clips. The rust was pretty much in the same places too.
Above each of these clips was its own patch of rust. Obviously the movement of this piece was rubbing away at the pain and allowing the rust to set in. Yet again it was only surface rust but left for much longer it could have been more of an issue.
With this in mind I decided to look more closely at the near side which is exactly the same.
So as ever this project is growing legs, but at least its investment in the furture.

Also got the near side wheel arch liner and side skirt washed ready for fitting but that will now be a weekend jobby.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Bit of a disjointed day today, no pictures either.

My initial plan was to buff, Kurust, primer and top coat the sills.
I managed to buff, Kurust and Primer them but rain stopped plan from going further with this.

When buffing the offside wheel arch there was slight evidence of rust all the way around the inner edge of the wheel arch. This was buffed down and painted as above. Due to the arch being sheltered from the rain I managed to top coat this and under seal it.

Then I decided to get onto rebuilding the brake system.
The carriers were bolted on with new bolts, discs were placed on, pads placed on, calipers shown up, handbrake cables reattached, old bolts loctited and bolted up tight.
The brake line was reattached and the bleed plug was refitted.
These will have to be bled through before I carry on.
The fluid in the brake system is quite new so I'll just top it up and bleed through the bleed screw with the pedal initially.
This will chase out the air and the old fluid from the rear lines.

With these all fitted up next was to fit the wheel arch liners.
These were washed throughly and left to drip dry, in the rain.
With the underseal sort of dry the liners were refitted.
Wen these were on I could see why the piece of bodywork at the rear of the wheel arch was rusted. This doesn't get covered by the wheel arch liner :confused: very strange.

So as its been left tonight, both liners are fitted, both rear brake systems are in place and both side skirts are off but washed and ready to go on.
Depending on how the weather is tomorrow I'll either carry on with the painting or bleed the rear brakes.
I still have the rear coilovers to fit too, but this is a quick enough job. I have new bolts for the bottom of these too.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Good stuff Willie, I've been off most of this week with the intention of servicing, fitting new suspension and brakes and guess what its done here - pissed down.
Mrs holdi was chuffed as it meant the bedroom got finished instead :cry:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Good stuff Willie, I've been off most of this week with the intention of servicing, fitting new suspension and brakes and guess what its done here - pissed down.
Mrs holdi was chuffed as it meant the bedroom got finished instead :cry:
Cheers Dave.
I've had the pleasure of changing my brakes before a track day lying in puddles, that's character building stuff. Happy wife means more ability to buy car bits

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.