Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Your callipers look like mine.........a job for the summer for me. Needs a proper clean out and re-paint job!
Yup, its good to get a closer look at these to see all is well too.
I've removed the caliper carriers too and will strip paint and lacquer these too.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Today's operations

As I'm in the mood for it car repair operations continue.

Today's operations initially consist of removing the caliper carriers and the shockers.
I am considering sending the shockers in to KW to get serviced but will look into the costs and benefits of this.
The Carriers are a PITA to remove with the shocks in place as this limits the space you have to get an Allen key bit and ratchet in there.
With the shocks removed its a much easier task.

IMAG0122.jpg

So with the shocks and carriers off and still in the repair buzz I thought it was about time I tackled a rusty spot I've had for a while.
The paintwork got damaged when I accidentally went over a curb and the side skirt got pushed off and took some paint with it.

IMAG0123.jpg

With the side skirt removed it was the logical next step to remove the wheel arch liner and scope about in there too. Would be interesting to see what 8 years of dirt looks like, lol.

Before

IMAG0122.jpg

After

IMAG0124.jpg

What 8 years of muck and grime looks like

IMAG0126-1.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

Next up is to clean this area and scope out what needs done.
I've got some Kurust coming from a mate so will remove all loose pieces and flatten out the area without removing too much paint then coat areas with Krust, Primer then top coat.
Images to follow.

Anyone know how much coilover service is from KW?

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The war on rust

So initially this rust patches didn't look like much, a couple of bubbles but not much else.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

The pieces that the skirts bolt onto just slide to the side and then pull off, nice design by Seat :clap:
With these removed it was on with the wire brush and paint scraper.
After spending YEAR waxing and polishing this car it took a while to get stuck in as it is a totally alien way to treat my car by me.
Anyway, go over that quickly and got stuck in!!

IMAG0134.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

It looks alot worse than it is, all this is surface rust so have the Galvanised body to thank for it not being worse as its been like this for 4 years
Kurust, primer and Gloss Black rattle cans all being picked up tomorrow, progress to follow soon.

Last edited:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Another member who is happy to hear your back on track and getting in there. Only down point which I am going to have to :ban: you on is the lack of videos on this beast on the track. Sort it out man................ ;)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I have only been on the track once since being mapped and it was a monsoon I was driving in with new R888 tyres on front and back which inhibited cornering speeds somewhat.
I will have videos this year for sure.

Josh, if you can hang onto the battery for a bit longer that would be sound as money not too good just now.
Will be good to see the Ibiza back on the road/track

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I can only echo what everyone else has said, good to see you back! Few threads that are as good as yours and explore the capabilities on our Leons. Look forward to next update.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Brake caliper seals

My first step is alaways to contact Dave at SereMotors about these things, you know its facts he gives you and no bullshit, which is appreciated.
So the rear calipers, Seat have a limited kit available for this have a limited redress kit for this so I needed to do a bit more digging.
Local Lucas place couldn't help so onto my trusty friend Google.

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d10819.html

Waddya know, DISCO!!!!!

2 complete sets of seals arriving at my door for £47 delivered with a 1 hour delivery window which will be texted to me in the morning.

Top service, shame they don't do the front seals too.

BUT ;)

One of our very helpful fellow members has sold me their spare Brembo piston seals off of his Ibiza Cupra R. These pistons are the same size.

The kit number is : 105.5955.56.
I've given this number to David at http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk so will see what he can come up with.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
More rust pictures

As always happens with me I set out to do a quick job then end up balls deep in a bigger project.
So, more rust was found

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

These pieces could not be accounted for as result of an accident or other source of damage, so this is purely wear and tear which others cars might be suffering from too.
It's not bad, yet, but really glad I've found this and acting on this before it becomes bad. The shock mounting point was a bit worrying, but it'll be well sorted soon and will be covered in underseal post Kurust and primer/cheap assed paint.

Sill all buffed down ready for Kurust, primer and Gloss black top coat

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

Got the calipers ready for paint, cleaned them up and applied two coats of Halfords High temperature red, good for 500 degrees C.

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

Once these have dried for 24 hours I'll apply 2 coats of clear lacquer, this should do them another 8 years, lol

Last edited:

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Wull being a busy lad and making lots of progress

Great to see you back at it fella, feels good to get the hands mucky wi the car again eh ;)

What's the plans for the front end? The brake refurb? As always if you're needing a hand with anything give us a shout ;)

Will be good to see you on track again this year min :thumbup:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Great to see you back at it fella, feels good to get the hands mucky wi the car again eh ;)

What's the plans for the front end? The brake refurb? As always if you're needing a hand with anything give us a shout ;)

Will be good to see you on track again this year min :thumbup:
The brake refurb is only the rear brakes and the spare front caliper I have. The offside caliper needs its bleed plugs replaced.
The front end will be getting HEAPS done.
Timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Oil pump change with chain and tensioner too.
Baffled sump to be fitted and Mocal 13 row oil cooler.
New lightweight battery fitted in OEM place.
BTCC type air scoop for air filter and 45 degree elbow.
Cold air routing for this too.
Change out twin fan assembly behind radiator.
Change out juiblee clamps for Milkalor ones.
Remove cam cover and replace VVT seal that's leaking.
Remove not fit for purpose so called uprated engine mounts and fit PROPER ones, Vibratech race spec ones.
Change out hosing on catch can.

Fair old list but these have got to be done before any racing this year.

Also depending on what David (mapper) says about a 3" TIP this could also be on the cards

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Thats a nice list there Willie should keep you busy :)
LOL
Aye your nae joking, this is the list of bits I've just requested from David at SereMotors

- Cam belt change out kit including tensioner and water pump

- Rear top mount suspension bushes

- Front top mount suspension bushes and bearings

- Rear caliper carrier bolts

- Rear pads

- Banjo seals for rear caliper to brake line connection

- Rear brake caliper bleed nipples

- Front brake caliper bleed nipples x 4

- Coil packs x 2

- VVT sensor seal

- Cam cover gasket

- Cam cover bolts

- Sump bolts

- Sump sealant

- Crank case seal

- Engine mount bolts for transmission and drivers side

- Oil filter

- Sump plug

- Pollen filter

This doesn't include the engine mounts I'll need at approx £300.
Its going to be another expensive year it seems

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.