DaNnY_LaD's IHI'd Cupra ( End Of a Eara 08/11/2009)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Told y'all - high oil pressure ... it needs a restrictor or it will just happen again. Mine was all smoothed out inside too when they did the hybrid on mine.

Yeah they said that Rob..

It was Oil Pressure and Oil Contimation From either Cupra_matt Or beattie17 car Which then eat away the Bronze Impeller Bearing which Prober F**ked things up really bad.So i had needed a New Shaft,Backplate,Uprated Seals,Larger Compresser Wheel,Bearings,Bronze bearing ect

Plus a genral Service and Port & polish

So He's Fitted it with a 1.5mm Oil pinion to reduce the Oil pressure but it will still Lube the bearing ect...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yep, all sounds familiar. They did all that stuff to my turbo too, the end result was that it felt like a new, different turbo, definately more powerful and alot more reliable.

It was me who asked them to fit a restrictor because I knew it was a problem, normally on journal bearing turbos they wouldn't fit one, but after discussing it and noting the high oil pressure the 1.8T runs at, they agreed and decided 1.5mm would be about right.

I won't be buying a turbo from overseas again - UK companies have far higher quality I think.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Yep, all sounds familiar. They did all that stuff to my turbo too, the end result was that it felt like a new, different turbo, definately more powerful and alot more reliable.

It was me who asked them to fit a restrictor because I knew it was a problem, normally on journal bearing turbos they wouldn't fit one, but after discussing it and noting the high oil pressure the 1.8T runs at, they agreed and decided 1.5mm would be about right.

I won't be buying a turbo from overseas again - UK companies have far higher quality I think.

Yeah i have to agree I would'nt mind a Gt28 setup but were does it stop...He Really Expressed His ideas sayin it will just happen again if a oil restrictor isnt fitted to ''Reduce'' the Pressure..

TbH Atp are a waste of time the quality of there products are piss poor imo...He said the Gt2x is a good unit for the power that it gives out...Just the Major Working Bits of it are Crap and it could of done with abit more forward thinking on the quality side of things..

But now its Been '' Re-eningneered'' it will be alot better...He said the cast inside and around the exhaust turbine was Rought and Bumpy which wouldnt help spool and would cause a fair amount of turburlance around that area...
I just need to sort my self out a decent enough manifold as i want a better one than my Ths something like the old Jbs tuburlar one...

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
chuffed for you mate, sounds like a good turbo now.:)
So many of us waiting on decent manifolds now wether it be ko3 or k04 fitment.
Although using superior turbos in a BT set up I can't help but feel that alot of those gains are had by the fact that they all use decent high flowing manifolds and decent 3 inch intakes.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
chuffed for you mate, sounds like a good turbo now.:)
So many of us waiting on decent manifolds now wether it be ko3 or k04 fitment.
Although using superior turbos in a BT set up I can't help but feel that alot of those gains are had by the fact that they all use decent high flowing manifolds and decent 3 inch intakes.

Yup Me too...

Im running a Uprated Bigbore manifold but wouldnt mind a Tuburlar Jbs one...

Tryed to Remove the oil Filter today but it would'nt even move,even with a Oil Filter chain Rachet...
Even tho it aint that old im gonna leave it on for the time being...What Grade Oil do i need to the 1.8t?

Ta..

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Opening a can of worms with that question mate but standard recommendation is to run 5w-40 fully synthetic. Ester based oils are better still offering more shear stability. Some people on big power run 10w-40 so as the oil is a little thicker at cold startup but thins out nicely when up to temp, offering a bit more protection.

If it was me I'd go with either Silkolene Pro-S, Motul 300V or Millers Competition

Check out www.opieoils.co.uk ;)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Well Finally Its arrived back from Cr turbos from a Few Miner improvments And Hybrid treatment..:D

Absolutly evertything has been replaced and Ports and Polished ect...Just finished fitting it and Its Just feels so nice Really really easy to get it spooling un like Before....
Feels like a completly different turbo and inside is so much wider...Must be a good 1/2'' bigger allround inside maybe a tad more.....

The Car drives totally different....Im well Chuffed with it

Pics:
100_1127.jpg

100_1120.jpg

100_1117.jpg

100_1121.jpg

100_1123.jpg

100_1124.jpg

100_1126.jpg

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
all is workin lovely and its nice to drive it again..

BUT

after a good all run i got home and i could see smoke not much coming from under the bonnet ..

so after lookin its either grease,oil,wd40 or what ever cr turbos used to clean it burning off as it aint much smoke...

or it could be my braided oil line on the turbo side slightly leakin oil on to the turbo burning it off..

but if its is leakin bit it aint much...will investigate 2morro...

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Yup it is Leaking oil But its a Few Drops ever Few mintues so it either the braided Oil line of the the turbo(restictor) or the Sump re-tainer of the turbo .....Gonna in lestigate 2morro...

Thats the only to Place it could be..

I left down near the resrictor area and it wasnt greasy or Oily what so ever....Was nice and clean and dry.,,.

Dan_Cupra

Nov 20, 2008
i have just read all 42 pages, this has now inspired me to do the GT2x set up =) roughly how much has it cost you to get 280 bhp?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Tbh mate Unless it been Re-worked I woudnt Recommend it....If it did it again Id Opt for k03s Hybrid as it way cheaper

Don't get me wrong the Gt2x is Fantastic and goes likes stink....But for the price of it New atp quality is shocking...

K03 Hybrid will see you 280bhp with the supporting mods..

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
oil can also leak from the seal between the turbo centre and the housings

not uncommon at all

cr may have niped the seal during rebuild

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise