Green cotton filter

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Green filters are very lightly oiled, its the oil which catches the fine dust..

REALITY CHECK for those who dont know any better..
Oil contamination on MAF's is 90%+ because of the engines own oil breather system venting back into the turbo intake pipe, along side the dump valve which puffs excess boost about on and off, which blows the oily mist onto MAF's.

Only in extreme circumstances so induction kit coated/oiled filters actually cause this oily coating, and when this does happen, its user error during cleaning and re-oiling or re-coating, putting on way too much to saturate the filter.. It is obvious excess coatings can be sucked out of the filters.

Out of the box, Green cotton leave no resdue on MAF's

{surmon over}
I thank you

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
Green filters are very lightly oiled, its the oil which catches the fine dust..

REALITY CHECK for those who dont know any better..
Oil contamination on MAF's is 90%+ because of the engines own oil breather system venting back into the turbo intake pipe, along side the dump valve which puffs excess boost about on and off, which blows the oily mist onto MAF's.

Only in extreme circumstances so induction kit coated/oiled filters actually cause this oily coating, and when this does happen, its user error during cleaning and re-oiling or re-coating, putting on way too much to saturate the filter.. It is obvious excess coatings can be sucked out of the filters.

Out of the box, Green cotton leave no resdue on MAF's

{surmon over}
I thank you

And we have listened thank you Bill
But can I ask , I know you have posted this a few times on this and other forums , do you have a sigh every time you post up this?

I have seen a few posts like this on other forums , just hope this great one take note
Sarah

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
And we have listened thank you Bill
But can I ask , I know you have posted this a few times on this and other forums , do you have a sigh every time you post up this?

I have seen a few posts like this on other forums , just hope this great one take note
Sarah

I have'nt done it in a while..
I do go :rolleyes: when I see it come up again tho

still, important thing is peeps know whats going on & they can make their own mind up as to what to use.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I have had a green cotton panel in, taken it out to clean and re oil and not been 100% confident on the amount of oil used to re oil, so not put it back in. I cant see any difference on spool /performance fuel economy with a new paper filter so the green one is going in the bin!
Glynn

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
nothing wrong with the green, and binning it is just a waste of your money (your money obviously)
log airflows and you will see a difference from green over paper filter. Paper filter will also blind and fall away on its airflow much quicker as its filtration is its small pore size, and those pores block faster.

Green Dynatwist vs paper filter-leon Cupra
airflow.jpg

Now can you "feel" the difference? probably only just, but its there.

Comparison you have mode tho is dirty green replaced for new paper, and you notice no difference.
New Green vs New Paper.. and watch the paper ones airflow fall away over time far more rapidly than the green.

When reoiling them, once washed, spray the slightest oil on, just to courise them green again, let it stand to abosrb it in, and once fully done, use kitchen towel to blot out any excess's there may be and all will be well.
:thumbup:

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I will take your advice.
I believe I am paranoid about;
Too little oil will allow dirt onto the compressor wheel= not good
Too much oil will foul the maf=not good
Considering I have replaced both turbo and maf in the last 3 months you can see why I am nervous. I had washed and re oiled the green when I compared new paper against it.
Glynn

WW_VRS

Dec 22, 2006
Abingdon OXON, UK
www.unit18.co.uk
There is another alternative, which would be to buy a new filter, but sell on your old one. Obviously you'd have to ensure the buyer was aware the filter was used and needs cleaning/oiling.

Another thing you can do (which I did) is this:

Buy two filters and a re-oiling kit. You could buy the 2nd filter & the kit later if you want to save some dosh initially. When the first filter is due for a clean, take it out, drop the other one in. Assuming you dont have anything blocking the airbox (on the Fabia vRS the seat strut brace is a common mod, and that kinda gets in the way, although you can swap without taking it off) it takes 15 minutes max.

Then clean the other filter, dry it at your leasure, oil it and leave it to settle. This allows you to remove any excess easily. Once the filter is 'ready', stick it in the box in readyness for the next swap.

For me this system has worked well, no new MAF needed and I dont have to rush the job.

Worth a shot :)

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
There is another alternative, which would be to buy a new filter, but sell on your old one. Obviously you'd have to ensure the buyer was aware the filter was used and needs cleaning/oiling.

Another thing you can do (which I did) is this:

Buy two filters and a re-oiling kit. You could buy the 2nd filter & the kit later if you want to save some dosh initially. When the first filter is due for a clean, take it out, drop the other one in. Assuming you dont have anything blocking the airbox (on the Fabia vRS the seat strut brace is a common mod, and that kinda gets in the way, although you can swap without taking it off) it takes 15 minutes max.

Then clean the other filter, dry it at your leasure, oil it and leave it to settle. This allows you to remove any excess easily. Once the filter is 'ready', stick it in the box in readyness for the next swap.

For me this system has worked well, no new MAF needed and I dont have to rush the job.

Worth a shot :)
Yes I did that system with a paper filter, leaving the green cotton a week to absorb what I thought might have been too much oil. TBH after that it did look like a new one maybe I am a twat!:doh:

shadowmaker

2.5TDI 228kW 587Nm@1,3bar
Feb 28, 2007
Have you guys ever seen opened up OEM filter? Now open up any performance filter to compare. It doesn't take a genius to pick the right choice.

It's not the filter that restricts, you can log air flows with the OEM filter inside the OEM box and compare to it with no filter at all inside the OEM box...

If you want cheap performance filter, just use pantyhose from your girlfriend/wife or don't use a filter at all.

Only foam type performance filters have any kind of filtration capabilities comparable to OEM filters, but they are hard to clean.

I use original filter with modified box. My van has 102hp originally and now 3,5 times that. With my ongoing build I'm going to use some big OEM filter from Ducato, Duramax, etc.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Have you guys ever seen opened up OEM filter? Now open up any performance filter to compare. It doesn't take a genius to pick the right choice.

It's not the filter that restricts, you can log air flows with the OEM filter inside the OEM box and compare to it with no filter at all inside the OEM box...

If you want cheap performance filter, just use pantyhose from your girlfriend/wife or don't use a filter at all.

Only foam type performance filters have any kind of filtration capabilities comparable to OEM filters, but they are hard to clean.

I use original filter with modified box. My van has 102hp originally and now 3,5 times that. With my ongoing build I'm going to use some big OEM filter from Ducato, Duramax, etc.
I am sticking with the stock paper filter and have modded the airbox to make the inlet larger and fitted a larger feed.
Glynn

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.