Team GTR - Leon Cupra R

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Custom Front Mount Intercooler Install

Decided to get some pics together when we did the front mount intercooler on the car. After some researching around I decided to go down the custom route so ordered:

• Cooler (core size 550mm x 230mm x 65mm)
  • Forge 1.8T Upper Silicone Hoses – Forge Motorsport
  • 45 Degree Silicone Reducer (63mm-60mm)
  • Couplers + Clamps Set (ToyoSports)
  • 60mm 2 3/8" ID Silicone Coupling Joiner Hose
  • 90 Degree Alloy (63mm)

Some pics of the install:

09042010362.jpg

09042010360.jpg

09042010365.jpg

09042010368.jpg

P1030347.jpg

Really pleased with the outcome. Sound of the car has got deeper, have zero movement on the temp gauge even on really hot days and a full blast, and seems to be happier to hold boost at the higher rev range. Recently took it to AmD for a quick rolling road and the car was pulling very nicely, even Shaun said it was so that's got to mean something ;)

Last edited:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Cheers mate, rather large cooler yes and real good quality also. Look forward to getting some logs together when the car gets mapped to see how well it really is doing.

Going straight to Stage 2 :smoke:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Cheers mate, rather large cooler yes and real good quality also. Look forward to getting some logs together when the car gets mapped to see how well it really is doing.

Going straight to Stage 2 :smoke:

Good work. You sound like me after I fitted mine and was banging on about stage 2 haha.. Took me a while to finally get the exhaust and the map though. Which stage 2 you going for?

Next up for me is chassis/handling so all bushes getting done, ARBs, braces and doing all brakes before that... Never ending mate.

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Never ending indeed but then I don't plan to get rid of the car in the next two years at least so all good!!

I'm kinda doing everything at one go which is a bit mad. Handling and brakes now and then straight to get the exhaust done (full system) then the map. Not really thought about which map at the moment as I still have time to decide. Going to try and get plenty of logs as it will be good to get them together for when it is all done

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Cheers JamJay!

We did have to cut a small piece from the metal piece which goes diagonally up but this was only because I sat the cooler slightly higher. If I sat it lower we should had been ok but the heavy duty L brackets I had meant we had to do it this way. No biggy really.

The cooler I used is from a company called Wiltec.

All in all it cost about £400 but then that's because I also purchased the forge upper silicone hoses as well.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Never ending indeed but then I don't plan to get rid of the car in the next two years at least so all good!!

I'm kinda doing everything at one go which is a bit mad. Handling and brakes now and then straight to get the exhaust done (full system) then the map. Not really thought about which map at the moment as I still have time to decide. Going to try and get plenty of logs as it will be good to get them together for when it is all done

Nice one. Within 2 years I'm sure it'll be stage 2 and flying ;)

Did you say your going custom with the exhaust? Map wise I can recommend AmD lol :whistle: that tweak they have done on the map has worked wonders though.

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Nice one. Within 2 years I'm sure it'll be stage 2 and flying ;)

Did you say your going custom with the exhaust? Map wise I can recommend AmD lol :whistle: that tweak they have done on the map has worked wonders though.

I wonder why you recommending them? lol nah I know they have been working hard on tweeking the map for these cars which is good to see. They are on the list of possibilities ;)

Yeah going custom with the exhaust so will be interesting to see how the car does overall when compared to others cars...........ahem yours ;)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I wonder why you recommending them? lol nah I know they have been working hard on tweeking the map for these cars which is good to see. They are on the list of possibilities ;)

Yeah going custom with the exhaust so will be interesting to see how the car does overall when compared to others cars...........ahem yours ;)

Haha, both platinum's and both stage 2..

Hates off to you though mate, custom fmic and custom exhaust with a map which will give some interesting results for us nosey parker's :p

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Your car looks awesome mate. Noticed you've done some cheeky mods to. Look forward to keeping tabs on your thread. :thumbup:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
lol cheers mate :)

Really want to add a LSD to my list of mods but time will tell whether I actually do!

I reckon by 2 years you will have one! Get it done, would be awesome.

JonJay's on his TDI is meant to be awesome. Was talking to him at the weekend about it he was down AmD.

I want one but not sure I will take the car that far.....

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
I want one but not sure I will take the car that far.....

That's what I need to figure out, whether I want to take it that far. Was in one guys Astra VXR which had basically everything done including the LSD and it felt immense. Never knew a front wheeler could corner so hard

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
That's what I need to figure out, whether I want to take it that far. Was in one guys Astra VXR which had basically everything done including the LSD and it felt immense. Never knew a front wheeler could corner so hard

Yeah it's meant to make a massive difference mate. I really want one :rolleyes:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
I am heading up to Midlands Exhausts in Birmingham. Bit of a trip but I know the guys well and they have done several of our cars, two of which are drag Skylines pushing crazy power so they know what they are doing. I can find out a price for you when I am up there if you like. I will make sure I take plenty of pics when they are making mine

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Need to speak to them for when he can fit me in and also when I can get my ass up there, should be in the next two months for sure (well that's the plan). Just trying to get a lot done in a short period of time

With regards to the exhaust itself, I will get them to look at it and give me their opinion but something along the lines of a 3" downpipe into a sports cat and then minimum 2.75" - 3" for the rest of the exhaust with a 6x4 oval shape tip

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Ok so some toe rag decided to go and rip my drivers side mirror off last night. Seems to have broken the metal piece within. I can still move the mirrors up and down but not to open and shut them if that makes sense.

Pic of the damage:

e021aca4.jpg

Does it look like I need to get a full replacement or get away with getting a part within?

Also the other side mirror won't open, is this because it requires the drivers side mirror to operate?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.