Team GTR - Leon Cupra R

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
R888 are tasty but not fit for my purpose. I drive the car on a daily and would wear the 888 quickly without having the fun they deserve. Not totally keen on the F1's with recent reports that they aren't as good since they changed where they are being made

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
What falkens have you got?? I have just got the fk452 and so far there ok unless the weather drops below about 5 degrees

Have the 912's which are slightly harder than the 452's. Heard the 452's are only slightly better in the dry but nothig major which is why they not in my options list

VRSAhmedVRS

Jan 15, 2011
Coventry
I also have Falken's on my Fabia VRS and they totally cannot handle the 165bhp I'm running. I don't think I will get them again either, they came when I bought the car.

@ turbo009, I agree about the Goodyear Eagle F1's. The asymmetrics are quite grippy and they're not so soft that they're bare within a couple of thousand of miles. From what I heard, Toyo's aint good value for money but depends on driving style and what you want out of your tyres.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetricsare grippy in dry and wet, they're quiet on the roads and last a decent amount of time. Good value for money in my eyes. I have a set lieing around lol. Got an ad up on briskoda but can't post on here yet :(

shaun.

converted
Mar 26, 2010
leicester
my mate had the toyos on his vxr and they didn't last long at all i think there a soft compound, i had the yoko parada spec 2 on my 206gti 180 and if i had the money this time i would have got them in the lcr instead of the falkens

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Yoko Prada 2's are very good in the dry but dont push them too hard in the wet or you'll need a change of under wear ;)

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Yoko Prada 2's are very good in the dry but dont push them too hard in the wet or you'll need a change of under wear ;)

Oooooo hairy moments I like those lol nah to be honest mate my boyish days are up so I don't try and push this car in the wet, not worth it. When I was in your car Darren it felt the tyres were really good with regards to comfort and grip. Got to like the funky design also!!

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Exactly what Shaun said, be good to see your progress with the VRS. Many of the guys who have commented on my thread have one. Would recommend checking theirs out also, real nice set of cars about

VRSAhmedVRS

Jan 15, 2011
Coventry
Kool thanks guys, will get at that later. Got a loada pics of car from standard to now.
Btw shaun, I work in leicester, British Gas @ grove park!!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Nice motor EL, like what you've done so far :)

As for tyres, I found the Falken FK452's pretty poor tbh. Even in the warm, dry and on smooth roads I'd get wheelhop on hard acceleration from low speeds on my unmapped car. Wet grip was very poor. I went for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas which are much better. That said I've had them since late April last year and they're definitely past their best now. They've had very little sympathy from me since I had them fitted but I'd expect slightly better wear rates than this.

I'm thinking about the Toyo T1-R's next time as they're a lot cheaper than the Vredesteins and seem to be easier to get hold of.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
What are the T1-R's like in the wet though 8bit? I think I'll be going for the Yoko Prada 2's next.

Was very impressed with the grip in DK's car, considering the power he is running.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
No idea, I've never tried them yet but I did some searching on here for them specifically. Wet performance is a big criteria for me (I live in Scotland lol!) and I'm pretty sure some folks said they were decent in the wet.

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Nice motor EL, like what you've done so far :)

As for tyres, I found the Falken FK452's pretty poor tbh. Even in the warm, dry and on smooth roads I'd get wheelhop on hard acceleration from low speeds on my unmapped car. Wet grip was very poor. I went for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas which are much better. That said I've had them since late April last year and they're definitely past their best now. They've had very little sympathy from me since I had them fitted but I'd expect slightly better wear rates than this.

I'm thinking about the Toyo T1-R's next time as they're a lot cheaper than the Vredesteins and seem to be easier to get hold of.

Cheers for the positive comment mate, trying to make the car my own. Not planning on getting rid any time soon as it has been real good to me so worth the mods, time and money :D

If you want to see wheel hop jump in my car now. Some youngun in a Lupo tried to cut in front of me yesterday and I just about managed to hop by him and stay ahead lol

Totally forgot about the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas, my mate has these on his Golf R32 and rates them real high.

Seems I have friends with all of these tyres I am looking at, I now have a great excuse to go for a ride in all of them :funk:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Enhancing Cars Handling

Finally managed to get my finger out and got the suspension work fitted to the car. My master mechanic Warren looked at the job in hand and said no problem whatsoever...........errrr ok if you say so, looks like rocket science to me :)

Plan was to fit the following:

• Weitec 40mm lowering springs
  • Neuspeed 25mm ARB - stiffest setting of course ;)
  • R32 Front ARB
  • EBC Ultimax Front Discs
  • Mintex 1144 Brake Pads

We said it may take the whole weekend as we are doing the job on axle stands and we all know that things can go wrong at times making the job bigger. Fortunately everything went to plan and 7 hours later all was done.

We checked all parts whilst doing the job and found the shocks & bushes all to be in top condition. Can instantly tell the car hasn't been abused. We did find a slight leak coming from the gearbox due to a seal. Easy fix.

Next up I want to give everything a good clean underneath with regards to the wheel arches and the shocks. We sprayed a lot of wd40 and copper spray so that we don't have a pig of a time if we ever need to undo the bolts again as some were a right pig. Also stops the chance of getting annoying noise coming from the suspension when going over speed bumps which is a common thing on these cars. Had a look at my Brembo's and they are in need of a good refurb. They need to be sprayed as some of the paint has chipped off, job for the summer me thinks.

Can’t really give any opinions on how the car feels at the moment as I need to let the springs settle, the brakes bed in and also need 4 new tyres and the geometry done on the car to compliment the modifications. Soon as this is all done I will get some decent pics of the car :D

Some pics of the progress below:

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Progress Pictures Part 1

P1050578.jpg

P1050579.jpg

P1050580.jpg

P1050581.jpg

P1050582.jpg

P1050583.jpg