• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Set off to get the replacement glass... dead battery.

No idea why. Had enough of it for today

When it rains it pours buddy.
Some times you have to walk away and look on it after a sleep. With fresh vision. You’ll get it sorted.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
As Martin Brundle would say, "if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all."

Bloody glass is the wrong tint. I knew I needed tinted, but there are degrees of tint and I need a 4 not a 1.

Don't bother giving them different part number, that would be too sensible. Just write "tinted" on each one, even though there isn't a non-tinted option, and then give the degree of tint a little tiny number for everyone to miss. What could possibly go wrong.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
It's mad. From researching today from what I can gather all Leons up until 2002 were number 1 tint, including the Cupra.

After that standard Leons went up to number 3 tint.

The facelifted Cupra 180 went up to number 4 tint in 2003/4. Presumably was number 3 in 2002.

The R was number 3 tint in 2002, then switched to 4 in 2003/4 and switched to 5 in 2005.

Presumably the Cupra diesel followed the petrol system, but I don't know what tint the 05 FR+ had.

None seem to have a number 2 tint.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
It's mad. From researching today from what I can gather all Leons up until 2002 were number 1 tint, including the Cupra.

After that standard Leons went up to number 3 tint.

The facelifted Cupra 180 went up to number 4 tint in 2003/4. Presumably was number 3 in 2002.

The R was number 3 tint in 2002, then switched to 4 in 2003/4 and switched to 5 in 2005.

Presumably the Cupra diesel followed the petrol system, but I don't know what tint the 05 FR+ had.

None seem to have a number 2 tint.
mental what a nightmare

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Passenger side rear number 4 tint
I've got 1 here, it has tint film on it but it's a number 4 underneath
1afb15013bc14360b9a038caf483d2c8.jpg
0b076e981ed195a3de438c2e9d750df5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
Erm, just a quick note as a windscreen fitter. Those numbers aren't to correlate with a level of tint, they're to indicate build year. I.e 4 will be 2004 or 2014. 2 will be 2002 or 2012. Go check it out on yours, your mates and your neighbours car.

I've never known a manufacture to use any other options other than, green tint or their own level of privacy tint.

Older and odd ball stuff sometimes has blue, clear of bronze but yeah, all tint levels will be the same for your leon.

Hope this helps

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Dan - you're absolutely right. I feel like a real tit now!

I've just checked my 1 glass against what's already in, and with the window half down and placing the glass I have in the gap, it looks just the same.

Two things threw me - in the back of my mind the R had darker tinted windows (I don't know why), and the dots on my window that aren't on the 2001 glass. They look like a darkness scale (why are they even there?)

The glass looks so much paler when it's out of the car as well!

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I did wonder about this as I can't recall ever noticing any difference in the pile of windows I have but it's not always easy to tell in a dark barn.
Oh well that's that sorted then

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alexis27

Dan-FR

Jul 25, 2020
Leicester
Dan - you're absolutely right. I feel like a real tit now!

I've just checked my 1 glass against what's already in, and with the window half down and placing the glass I have in the gap, it looks just the same.

Two things threw me - in the back of my mind the R had darker tinted windows (I don't know why), and the dots on my window that aren't on the 2001 glass. They look like a darkness scale (why are they even there?)

The glass looks so much paler when it's out of the car as well!
Good stuff! Glad you've got it sorted. Don't feel daft not many people know about the build year on the glass. And you're correct, the times I've turned up to customers cars with a privacy rear glass, and they've been insistant it's not dark enough, until its fitted and looks much darker.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
They are darker fitted because of all the other tinted panes already in the car. At least that’s not an issue for you any more. Result.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Lecatona HPFP (High-pressure Fuel Pump Upgrades)