Pods & Gauges...what do people have...

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
ive got a nomad double pod which fits fine. :D

ive got boost and oil temp gauges which are stealth and light up with the dash... but very hard to see during the day.:blink:

cant remember the make.

oil temp sender is a bit of a mission to fit. easy if youve got ickle hands

jamzee500

jamzee500
Apr 3, 2006
camberley, surrey
Mitchy said:
Jib, oil temp and boost are best IMO.

Boost for monitoring health of the turbo. (overboosting and not enough boost and you'll know straight away that you have a problem)

Some peope say oil pressure instead of oil temp but i dont see the reason why. If theres a problem with oil pressure the oil pressure light will come on on the dash so whats the point? Its a very boring gauge aswell, it will hardly ever move.

Oil temp lets you know when to put the foot down and when not too. Let it get upto 85-95c before giving it the beans, anything above 120c and then back off!

No gauge, no way of knowing this!

I dont care what anyone says chipped LCR's have a problem with running extremely high oil temps, you need to know when to back off! A sustained 100+mph run will easily see the temp reach beyond 120c. A top speed run for just a few minutes and you'll be at the top end of the temp gauge!

Not good, and without a temp gauge you would never know!

I would say a temp gauge is a must for a chipped LCR!

sorry if im being stupid but i thought that guage on the dash was oil temp ??? if im wrong what is this guage for ?

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
jamzee500 said:
sorry if im being stupid but i thought that guage on the dash was oil temp ??? if im wrong what is this guage for ?

You mean the one next to the fuel gauge...?? This is the engine coolant temperature gauge.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
This is where i got mine put in, VERY early stages of it, looks alot better now after abit of care and attention...Defi gauge lights up red of course... :)

DSC00100.jpg

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Bhp addict...... Those gauges are made by autogauge and are fairly cheap! Similar price to the 1's your looking at on ebay! The autogauge temp gauge comes with the correct sized sender to fit in the oil filter housing and thats the main reason i went for that kind of gauge! Ive read of other gauges coming with the wrong sized temp senders!

They are ''fairly'' easy to fit. Getting the tubing and the wiring through the bulkhead can be a bit of an arse to do! Boost gauge is fairly easy when you have a T-piece, just cut into the flexi tubing and plug in the t piece.

Oil temp sender is a bit more tricky, you need to move a few brackets that get in the way and unscrewing the blanking plug that is already in your oil filter housing is a bloody nightmare! Its supposed to come out with an allen key but mine was really tight and it just rounded the hole! Beware!! I ended up getting it with a pair of mole grips after about half an hour and a lot of cut knuckles! The sender then screws into where this blanking plug was! You run a wire from the sender up through your bulkhead and into the back of the gauge! Illumination side is fairly easy aswell.

There's a few threads of where the oil temp sender position is if you do a search!

Jamzee.....a common misconception but usually made by those with tits and blonde hair;) Like has been said, nothing to do with oil temp, its engine coolant temp as it is with 99.9% of all other cars

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Defi oil pressure, water temp and boost (not as shown), used to have the Nomad pillar but went off it, I covered all the pillar panels in black suede so couldn't use it anyway. Oil pressure is better than oil temp IMO as the pressure reacts far quicker than temp, so being alerted to a problem will happen much quicker, you can't rely on the dash oil light because by the time that light comes on it's already too late!

gauges0.jpg

gauges2.jpg

Defi gauges match my Pioneer head unit illumination, looks cool, here's a short, old vid clip of the Defis working: http://www.rd20vturbo.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vids/Defi_BF.wmv (right click, save as)

Got DRE sequential shift lights on the dash too.

shift1.jpg

http://www.caraddiction.co.uk/index.htm

jim4983

Aug 29, 2005
Kent
very nice video. Are they similar to the autogauges with smoked front shown earlier in the post. Damn thopught i had settled on the type i want but now not sure. Can anyone reccomend a site to get either the auto gauges or defi gauges cheap aswell as the nomad pillar post

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Yes they are but all the other companys like autogauge copied the defi type smoked gauge.

They are very nice, but very expensive. You need a seperate controller to control the gauges and this costs around £150 with each of the gauges costing around £50-£60.

Unless you want to spend £200-300 on a set of gauges, the autogauge smoked series is the next best thing.

Robdon...Ive never heard of any car suffering from loss of oil pressure and like i said before that is what the dash warning light is for. You say it would be too late by the time it came on? How do you know this? Using that principle, surely by the time you realise the pressure has dropped and the time it then takes you to get the car down from speed to standstill and switched off, surely it would be too late? (Tbh, you dont moniter the gauges second by second anyway, more of a glance every 5-10mins, unless the defi comes with a warning beeper:shrug: )

A useless gauge IMO along with an additional coolant gauge :confused: You have 1 of those already on the dash:shrug:

Temp has far more benefits than pressure, chipped cars run extremely hot and you need to know when to back off!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
All the Defis have warning lights and sounds that you can set to whatever you want, speaking from experience I can tell you that an oil pressure gauge is far, far from useless, having had an engine almost let go the oil pressure gauge saved the engine, oil temp reacts far slower than pressure, so I disagree with you completely. The dash oil light comes on at very low pressure, so if it does come when you're driving the engine is already junked by the time you switch off, pressure gauge with warning light and sound gives you WAY more warning and time. Also saying the water temp gauge is useless is a hugely flawed statement too, if you knew how inaccurate the factory dash gauge is you'd understand. Having been around modified cars for 20 years you learn a few things.

You are also incorrect on the pricing of Defi, the control unit is around £55 but the gauges range from £120-160 each - but they are the mutts nutts and the cheap copies are vastly inferior, having had cheap gauges in the past I know.

Defis are not for everyone and cheaper alternatives but still very good are Apexi and HKS gauges.

Last edited:

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Agree with RobDon have Defis in my car too...

Awesome have jsut start selling them now, 60 for the control unit and 100-160 range for the guages!

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Well we'll agree to disagree rob,ive made my reasons for oil temp as opposed to oil pressure and you've made yours. Im very surprised youve opted for a 2nd coolant temp rather than oil temp. I'd be worrying about sustained high oil temp rather than a backup system for oil pressure and coolant temp. Chipped LCR's are running stupidly high oil temps, yours will be the same.

The car itself lets you know when coolant temp is too high with audible warning and flashing light. Its happened to me a few times mainly due to the expansion tank sensor problem but the warning is there hence why i think a 2nd gauge is complete useless!

Sorry i got the prices of the gauges and control unit mixed up although it is still going to cost you 200-300 for the defis as opposed to £60 for the others. I agree though defis are top notch and i would prefer them over the autogauge gauges, although cant justify the £200-300 cost.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Not difficult no, did take some work though, I had to make my own gauge holder, made a template out of cardboard then cut 10mm thick MDF board to size, trimmed and tested until it slipped in firmly, then covered it in black suede to match the pillars etc. The gauges are daisy-chained to each other so only one wire goes back to the control unit, located in the drivers cubby hole.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.