DaNnY_LaD's IHI'd Cupra ( End Of a Eara 08/11/2009)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Which IHI manifolds are decent enough and well priced?

Im running a TD05-16G So im guessin the IHI & TD use the same flange batten correct?

Ive been chattin to bill who does one but its £1200 which is way out of my price range for a manifold.

Ive looked at the tigart one but im hearing bad things about there 20vt manifolds..

Ta

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
how many cheap manifolds do you want to buy before £1200 is not a bad deal?

It's a large investment, but if you're rebuilding it all properly, it's worth saving for it, because undoubtabley, it's the weakest link with others...

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Same flange pattern aslong as its not a twin scroll TD. Jabba mani is ok but limits you for the future if you want to go bigger. Bills mani would undoubtedly be the best option but it is alot of money. Dont fancy the JBS personally from what has happened on their other manis and the how they deal/dealt with warranty stuff in the past. TigArt I would steer clear from as they supplied the 'faulty' early JBS manis and from what Bill has heard they dont go for fully penetrating welds which is just asking for trouble.

Money no object then its got to be Bills all day long. Depending on what you want to spend though the Jabba mani might be the best option for you with price vs reliability. They were the original IHI developers remember, with Bill as one of their first customers and guinea pigs, and have been around for along time. Im sure alot of cars run their mani without to bigger issue from what I have heard. Mapping and how you deal with heat in the manifold will help lengthen its life.

jamiebennett81

buy cheap buy twice Danny

look at the issues I have had with my manifold

I would only buy from Bill, as unlike other "companies"......his will be a very good product

but its not the cost of the manifold you are paying for, it is the after service.....clearly in some cases this is completely lacking from "other" companies but Bill's it will always be an A1 service

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Js mani is nice for what it was originally designed for (low to mid 300bhp level on VF IHI's) aside from its fitment, which I have to say I dispise with a passion having had to remove mine so many times in the past for turbo changes/repairs/upgrades etc

I am a vocal fan of topmounted units, as underslung is very awkward and compromises both the intake and downpipe run. You have greater choice of turbos with more space up top than below, which hinders compressor housing choice, or you get jiggy with grinding block and head castings.

JS one is well proven, its not without its own failures either, and when you push the IHI based units, they run very hot. Run any manifold too hot and they can and will crack and warp on you. I have a crazy paved JS unit which used to live on my car, and its truely fecked and the 3rd unit I had run on the car. Beaten to death on track, and cooked to death, both like the IHI P18 and P20 hotsides, all of which warped. moral of the story is respect the boosta nd egts/ afr etc

Strongly advise you get EGT and wideband on your car as a preventative measure to save you also cooking the mani/turbo etc, and keeping the tuner honest, whoever you take it to when done.
IHI based units on underslung JS manifold will thank you for respecting its egt's, trust me.. I have a shelf full of various misshapen IHI housings as testiment to NOT doing this :hide: I've learnt now.. and dont run IHI's. Just not durable enough for my liking.

Last edited:

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Please get wideband and an egt gauge danny whatever you end up with. Its so worth it and not expensive when you consider the money it could save you if things get too hot or run lean. The TD turbos are rebuildable unlike the more commonly used vf34 and vf22 I believe but you still dont want to have to get it rebuilt at all really.

Jabba mani is worse than a nightmare to put on. Even with bent spanners its just an absolute pig. As Bill said top mount is better for heat aswell as easy access to the turbo. I dont think buy cheap buy twice comes into it so much between Bills mani and the Jabba one although Bills is obviously much more appealing. Im starting to think all manis crack or warp and its just a matter of how long they last. From experience I know Bill would give great aftercare but Im not so sure about jabba. Would this matter if it was 2/3/4 years down the line anyway as Im not sure anybody would warranty it to that extent.

The new JBS cast manis might be good but they are a big unknown at the moment and no idea when they will be ready. Aftersales...meh.

Simple answer seems to be buy Bills if you can afford it. If you cant afford it and want to compromise then get the Jabba one. Avoid the TigArt one. You could take a punt and wait to get the JBS one and see how good it is and reliable but if I was you I would discount it aswell tbh.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Yeah i completly Understand..

Ive Been offered a Tig-art IHI Manifold Of beattie17 brand new for £250 Posted which aint too bad iMo..

If i got it Back purged and Cermaic Coated would that help it out?

Also How much is ceramic coating?
A EGT and AFR is defo on the cars which i knew that anyone i know i should of bought it a long time ago..

INA(sam) is doing me a Deal on SEM manifold With TB & INA Rods(19mm pins) So that is the 1st on the car then i can start building it up bit by bit....

Bill:
Could you U2u me a Price to Map the TD? And Do you reckon could make me a Downpipe is so how much would it be and would u need my Car there...
If you could make one that goes down under the car then i can mount it up like HTC done...As it saves me gettin a trailer ect..

thanks

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey

Ive Been offered a Tig-art IHI Manifold Of beattie17 brand new for £250 Posted which aint too bad iMo..

A EGT and AFR is defo on the cars which i knew that anyone i know i should of bought it a long time ago..

INA(sam) is doing me a Deal on SEM manifold With TB & INA Rods(19mm pins) So that is the 1st on the car then i can start building it up bit by bit....

You cannot back purge the tigart one now unless you get it cut up/remove the welds and get it rewelded with full penetration back purged welds. Its simply not worth it. It is buy cheap buy twice. Why the 19mm rods? Ibiza is 20mm

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
You cannot back purge the tigart one now unless you get it cut up/remove the welds and get it rewelded with full penetration back purged welds. Its simply not worth it. It is buy cheap buy twice. Why the 19mm rods? Ibiza is 20mm

Im using a AUM Bottom PJ...

Yeah I thought that but HTC is using the JBS one and its been fine...I don't think i can argue about £250 can i?

Would Ceramic Coating Help it out...I would go with Bill ones but that money is on a SEM manifold and Rods

in ur old IHI pJ which mani did u use..

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Yeah I thought that but HTC is using the JBS one and its been fine...I don't think i can argue about £250 can i?

Would Ceramic Coating Help it out...I would go with Bill ones but that money is on a SEM manifold and Rods

in ur old IHI pJ which mani did u use..

HTCs has been fine so far. Was his a Tigart made JBS one? The JBS mani on cupra matts old car has cracked with gt2871 apparently so its not just the k0x based ones that are affected it seems. It would be a wasted £250 imo as I would imagine it would just crack, especially with track use and then you would be looking at a replacement which would cost more than just a new manifold as you would most probably need to alter the dp etc aswell. At least buying direct you would get some warranty.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
HTCs has been fine so far. Was his a Tigart made JBS one? The JBS mani on cupra matts old car has cracked with gt2871 apparently so its not just the k0x based ones that are affected it seems. It would be a wasted £250 imo as I would imagine it would just crack, especially with track use and then you would be looking at a replacement which would cost more than just a new manifold as you would most probably need to alter the dp etc aswell. At least buying direct you would get some warranty.

Yeah that is a very good point Pj

How is the JS manifold as theres a fair few people using them?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Was fine on mine apart from being a right bitch to put on etc. Pushed really hard from what Bill has said it seems they crack but I think most manifolds will. I think its madmile on here running 400bhp on a jabba mani and Bill has a friend that races a leon, possibly in the combe saloons iirc, that has a jabba mani iirc and he is running big power with it modified to fit an external wastegate. Its a better bet than the tigart or jbs mani imo.

Do you really want the sem and tb straight away. I would maybe get Bills mani and then get the sem and tb at a later date as I dont see it giving that much of an increase and you want to get the best set up you can turbo wise first imo. Then again for that money you might aswell get a full race mani and go gt28rs. Why did you decide on IHI over GT based turbos?

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk

Bill:
Could you U2u me a Price to Map the TD? And Do you reckon could make me a Downpipe is so how much would it be and would u need my Car there...
If you could make one that goes down under the car then i can mount it up like HTC done...As it saves me gettin a trailer ect..

thanks

you cant retrospectively backpurge something which has already been welded. the welds wont be full penetration on tig-art. you will struggle to remelt the cap weld to get to the root without distorting the whole lot badly from the heat.

stage 3 is £550+vat from me
I can make a downpipe yes, but not without the car.
Jabba have a DP for these as do JBS I think - for underslung fitment liek you are doing

regards

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Well this morning was interesting..

My firm who i worked for nearlly went in to admission last night...so i was Nearlly out of a job so ive had to take a 10% monthly paycut to keep some sort of Income..

This is a prober let down ImO as i cant even do my build as that 10% for me is a hell of alot..Just supose i need to be glad before i didnt sell and strip it...

Kinda Pissed tho.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.