what have you done to your car today ?

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Removed a door handle and instantly regretted it. How the hell do you get the bits circled in red behind the white plastic circled in blue??
Tell me I don’t need to strip the door down??
IMG_0460.jpeg

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
Ok. I think I see my error. It appears that once you have removed the door lock blank you need to retighten the screw that allowed the door lock blank out. Then the door handle can be removed/replaced without hassle. I will try in the morning.
This video explained it -

Reactions: BadBoy03

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Well it's finally payday & this is the plan

Same.

My front wings have got lacquer overspray on them, and the paint all over could do with attention. Roof has hairline scratches on it too. Could do with some attention.

It deserves it too - that and a remap.

My bumpers look terrible but I don't want to get them resprayed if people who can't parallel park keep scuffing them.

Is there any kind of protection anyone's used that helps on the low speed scuff and shunt kind of stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BadBoy03

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Ok. I think I see my error. It appears that once you have removed the door lock blank you need to retighten the screw that allowed the door lock blank out. Then the door handle can be removed/replaced without hassle. I will try in the morning.
This video explained it -

It should just hook back into place when you slide the handle in. This is what it looks like from the other side. Pencil is pointing at the clip that's on the handle.

e102062dd800acfe0d5e4bda34d61ecf.jpg

Locate the tip of the handle in the door and put the whole handle against the door, then slide it towards the front of the car and both the tip and the back of it will slide into place.

70504154871921960eb369c87ea5e0cd.jpg

This is the tip that slides into place.

Pull the handle. If it feels springy and returns to the same position, you've done it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: g60stu and BadBoy03

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
I fitted the handle back in less than a minute this morning. Seems like the white plastic bit “locks” when you’ve unscrewed the screw that retains the door lock blank. As soon as you tighten that bolt then the white plastic bit moves in and out with ease allowing the door handle to relocate. Not very intuitive but you learn something new every day.
Thanks for the comments and moral support. 🙂

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I fitted the handle back in less than a minute this morning. Seems like the white plastic bit “locks” when you’ve unscrewed the screw that retains the door lock blank. As soon as you tighten that bolt then the white plastic bit moves in and out with ease allowing the door handle to relocate. Not very intuitive but you learn something new every day.
Thanks for the comments and moral support. 🙂
Happened to me that on one of the lock changes, locking ring come off as well and was bent

Reactions: iammooks

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
1. Pull handle out and keep pulled out throughout the entire process.
2. Unscrew torx screw in side of door TEN turns
3. Let go of handlle
4. Pull out plastic cover to get access to cable
5. Remove cable, unhook handle
6. Hook in new handle and reattach cable and push plastic cover back in
7. Pull handle out and keep it out whilst you rescrew in the torx screw 10 turns.
8. Let go of handle and hope it worked

Any problems are generally down to not pulling out the handle whilst dealing with the torx screw, or turning it more than 10 turns.

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
1. Pull handle out and keep pulled out throughout the entire process.
2. Unscrew torx screw in side of door TEN turns
3. Let go of handlle
4. Pull out plastic cover to get access to cable
5. Remove cable, unhook handle
6. Hook in new handle and reattach cable and push plastic cover back in
7. Pull handle out and keep it out whilst you rescrew in the torx screw 10 turns.
8. Let go of handle and hope it worked

Any problems are generally down to not pulling out the handle whilst dealing with the torx screw, or turning it more than 10 turns.
Good advice. I will certainly do that next time. I’m going to be relaquering the door handles and the roof strips soon.

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Lancashire
Ok I'm going post it here for now, since my seats are now in, my Recaro seats are up for sale, looking at £450 this also includes a spare Recaro seat bolster also have Recaro passenger backrest it has a slight cigarette burn mark honestly this could be fixed to look good again I would swap the cover or complete back as the fabric is ok but better on the spare backrest( since the seats are out) also I have give them a wet an dry vac and cleaned erm properly could do with maybe another clean, no holes in either seat bolster. Also cash on Collection and I'm in lancashire they are better in person than photo shows. Trying here before ebay as I'll ask more on there.

Attachments

• 20240705_170757.jpg
    20240705_170757.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240626_183215.jpg
    20240626_183215.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240705_170844.jpg
    20240705_170844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240705_170907.jpg
    20240705_170907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240705_170913.jpg
    20240705_170913.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240705_170952.jpg
    20240705_170952.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
How much do you want for the base foam mate, ive got a set to sell that could do with a spruce up?

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Lancashire
How much do you want for the base foam mate, ive got a set to sell that could do with a spruce up?

I don't know to be fair, I know they are a rip off to buy now, this being the reason I was offering it as a complete package as most have holes in sadly, let me see if anyone here is interested in it all 1st if no one's is interested before I list them on ebay I'll get back to you if that's OK. Just a good little package for hopefully someone on here.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Ok I'm going post it here for now, since my seats are now in, my Recaro seats are up for sale, looking at £450 this also includes a spare Recaro seat bolster also have Recaro passenger backrest it has a slight cigarette burn mark honestly this could be fixed to look good again I would swap the cover or complete back as the fabric is ok but better on the spare backrest( since the seats are out) also I have give them a wet an dry vac and cleaned erm properly could do with maybe another clean, no holes in either seat bolster. Also cash on Collection and I'm in lancashire they are better in person than photo shows. Trying here before ebay as I'll ask more on there.
how do you get that base cover off,?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
You'll need to remove the plastic trim, seperate the base section from the seat back (a few spline bolts)
Unfeed the airbag wiring from underneath the base.
You can then unclip the seat base cover around the edges.
The cover will come off the metal base still attached the foam.
There are metal rods hooked into the foam, these are particularly tricky to remove / reinstall so be patient but forceful with them or you'll split the foam or tear the loops off.

Reactions: mty12345 and Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
You'll need to remove the plastic trim, seperate the base section from the seat back (a few spline bolts)
Unfeed the airbag wiring from underneath the base.
You can then unclip the seat base cover around the edges.
The cover will come off the metal base still attached the foam.
There are metal rods hooked into the foam, these are particularly tricky to remove / reinstall so be patient but forceful with them or you'll split the foam or tear the loops off.

It don’t look as bad as that when you look at it, but since you said all that sod that for a game of soldiers lol not worth risk if I’ve not got a spare base.. it’s just the divers side bolster I can feel part of the frame but if you look it’s looks ok

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.