• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Well it's coming to xmas maybe she's dropping a little hint for some presents lol, na hope its nothing serious wrong time if year for cash and working on a car.

86ad2d193c644a092d11b7c6276c87ef.jpg

This car will be the death of me.

Moved it so I could park it closer to the house, and about thirty seconds after turning over the engine, the light went out.

Will this show up on VCDS as a saved code, or will I just be left guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Anyone changed their gearbox oil and is it worth doing?
I've changed the gear bushings in mine and is much better, but still not as smooth as my old one.

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
I’ve not,but if gear box is running smoothly there’s no point , it’s not even in the service schedule but it’s been said change every 100k or less or stiff gear changes

Reactions: Alexis27

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Anyone changed their gearbox oil and is it worth doing?
I've changed the gear bushings in mine and is much better, but still not as smooth as my old one.
If it feels notchy then replacing the oil with a good quality one is probably worth it.

Have you tried the alignment procedure? Long shot but it costs nothing and may help.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
If it feels notchy then replacing the oil with a good quality one is probably worth it.

Have you tried the alignment procedure? Long shot but it costs nothing and may help.
Yeah, did the linkage reset when it got new bushes in the summer. Helped a lot. It's only when I jump into my old one, that my mum now owns, that it feels smoother!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah, did the linkage reset when it got new bushes in the summer. Helped a lot. It's only when I jump into my old one, that my mum now owns, that it feels smoother!
Ah right, probably worth changing the oil then. Only thing i would say is crack loose the fill plug before you drain the oil. You don't want to drain it and then find you can't get the fill plug out lol. From memory the drain plug is a 17mm hex/allen key, so you might need to buy one.

Edit: apparently some boxes have an M16 spline bit or even a 14mm Hex/allen, so probably best to check in advance

Last edited:

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
yea sounds like gearbox oil, what's mileage difference ? i would use opi oils to rate the gear oil needed as there pretty dam accurate, the gearbox oil when people ask about changing it, all the manufactures say its "lifetime of gearbox" even some third party garages say same its a load of crap, you'll just blow the gearbox as the oil will be like treacle or contaminated, that's why you see allot of dedicated gearbox rebuild places around, and your starting around 1k for that rebuild.
was talking to a guy id not seen for years other day and he had a vw transporter camper with 350k + on it and was asking his local garage as it was stiff changes and they said its lifetime, well one of the gears went after that and that was fixed and replaced oil he said its been smooth since..

I got a spline bit kit off ebay a while back as it was needed to replace the door locks and not bad quality , there not all that dear, if you done your own locks you might have a bit that fits

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
yea sounds like gearbox oil, what's mileage difference ? i would use opi oils to rate the gear oil needed as there pretty dam accurate, the gearbox oil when people ask about changing it, all the manufactures say its "lifetime of gearbox" even some third party garages say same its a load of crap, you'll just blow the gearbox as the oil will be like treacle or contaminated, that's why you see allot of dedicated gearbox rebuild places around, and your starting around 1k for that rebuild.
was talking to a guy id not seen for years other day and he had a vw transporter camper with 350k + on it and was asking his local garage as it was stiff changes and they said its lifetime, well one of the gears went after that and that was fixed and replaced oil he said its been smooth since..

I got a spline bit kit off ebay a while back as it was needed to replace the door locks and not bad quality , there not all that dear, if you done your own locks you might have a bit that fits
Thanks, good info.
Mines on 93k, the smoother one is on 84k.
Mine was sat in a field for 3 years before I bought it though 😄

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Thanks, good info.
Mines on 93k, the smoother one is on 84k.
Mine was sat in a field for 3 years before I bought it though 😄
Such close miles was expecting more, unless sat in a field and not used didn’t help the gearbox oil.. is the car not rusting underneath, wet grass is the worst for that underbody

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Well yours rear brakes are not dear , my old garage said discs also needed replacing , turned out nothing wrong with them just needed pads as it’s was rust on discs damaged pads , mine must of been sat for a while for that too happen they put pagid pads on

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Garages are so hit and miss. Along with the brakes I told them it wasn't getting up to 90C and it was probably the thermostat.
Picked it up with new calipers etc. - all good. And they said they'd "tested the thermostat and it was fine."
Blatant lie, because it's obviously quicker to stick a new fifteen quid one in than "test" the one you've claimed to have removed.
So I've never been back to them.

Got a mobile mechanic to change the stat and obviously fixed the problem immediately.

Reactions: Nam-uk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.
Joke was I’d been going too that garage for years, before that they quoted me £500 for that cambelt without the water pump and there was a few other jobs I was starting too question I was just getting a nagging feeling, so I went to a garage I know others use, it was only after an mot they told me about rear pads only needed changing, think the old garage were getting greedy, that thermostat issue you went sounds same type of faffing around I’ve been though,you just want job done right without the bullcrap going back and forth.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Code will be saved,it takes a few errors before light is triggered , might be related to the recent heater plugs even that rubber rail

8d3139fd08d447b08f596ed8e9271d43.jpg

Bingo. It might explain a few performance issues too...

Does this sound like just a matter of replacing the sensor, or could it be a bit more involved?

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
8d3139fd08d447b08f596ed8e9271d43.jpg

Bingo. It might explain a few performance issues too...

Does this sound like just a matter of replacing the sensor, or could it be a bit more involved?

Should be good with just swapping the sensor have fun it’s at the back off the engine above the gearbox side don’t do when engine is hot as coolant will come out if your all ready with the new one you won’t lose a lot off coolant

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
What do you reckon? OEM or will anything do? It looks like £20 OEM and about half that for something else.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Perfect - thank you.

That said, I just realised the one I bought didn't say if it came with the retaining clip and o-ring. Do they all come with those or am I going to have to find some?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.