DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
well i can safely say yours looked pretty awesome mate, well done lad :)

SAM_0527_zpsfca44251.jpg

SAM_0526_zpseecedafe.jpg

SAM_0525_zps45d48df9.jpg

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
That looks awesome mate. Really like this.

Cheers mate :) would be even more slammed if I didn't live on a hill with a slanted drive :cry:

Expecting a massive photo update when you're back from UD!

Haha it's coming ;)

There will be an update with photos either tonight or tomorrow including some rolling shots!

Awesome mate, had a quick look through and got some nice photos there!

well i can safely say yours looked pretty awesome mate, well done lad :)

SAM_0527_zpsfca44251.jpg

SAM_0526_zpseecedafe.jpg

SAM_0525_zps45d48df9.jpg

Cheers mate :D sorry I wasn't around when you were getting pics, would have been nice to put a face to the name!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
So, had a great time at UD on Sunday, met a few of the other members on here and saw some amazing cars!

Matt, loved the wheels and stance on your Tolly, shame you switched over from the lovely Cades though :p

The 3 Ibizas looked spot on sat together, I think Tom's was the winner for most attention out of our lot!

Goldie, yours sounded mean and made me think my car's not low enough! :lol:

Here's a few photos from the day, some I took for my corporate sponsor Element Autocare who sorted me out on the cleaning front and even gave me the quick detailer I used to spruce things up on the morning of the show!

SAM_0531_zps28d3faf9.jpg

SAM_0532_zpsc09ee5ca.jpg

SAM_0568_zpse0aab9c5.jpg

SAM_0569_zps5d8de26a.jpg

SAM_0571_zps2912cb07.jpg

SAM_0572_zps3892d694.jpg

There's also some more photos of mine and the other guys' cars in the UD Thread which I am gonna post some pics in now.

Car wise, I'm going to get the brakes upgraded soon (needed now as my drivers side is starting to squeak) and get the inlet cleaned out thoroughly and fit a catch can, then look to do the mufflerectomy and get some ECS centering plates on to complete the look. Needs a service in around 1800 miles though so going to get that sorted and be ready for All Dubs 13 in July.

Hopefully there will be some Wales, North West or West Mids meets some time soon so I can meet a few more of you guys and get ideas on how to scare my bank manager ;)

Last edited:

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Hey mate,Was good to put a face to the name,sorry i left a little early but had to go as i had to get back coz it was mothers day,Also sorry we didn't speak more (always a bit difficult when you meet people for the first time),Hopefully we can arrange a few more meets at shows etc???,Thought your car was in very good condition really good paint work also loved the wheels especially the rears,Has got me thinking!!!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
No worries mate, I had the same problem and ended up leaving 20 mins before we were supposed to! Yeah was great to meet you, shame I missed when you had your bonnet open, was still trying to polish my wheels! That's probably the only negative to them though :p yeah will definitely try and meet at some other shows, don't know how many I will make this year yet but looking at going to All Dubs 13, maybe All Types and a couple of others if I can fit them in. Cheers mate, it came up better than I thought to be honest and I was getting really critical in the days before... Haha do it, you know it makes sense!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
So after a brief bright spell on Saturday I decided to clean out the intake manifold as it was pretty caked with crud. It took me just over an hour and a half to remove the manifold, another hour to clean it and then around 45mins to put back on as I now knew where everything went.

This is the manifold removed:

IMAG0235_zpsce165ac7.jpg

Now I'm not a physicist or engineer by any means, but I found that when jest-washing inside the manifold the branch on the far right was pi55 poor at getting any water flowing through it, it seems like a pretty poor design but I suppose under high boost it must work ok :shrug:

This was the inside before cleaning, having done 81k miles:

IMAG0237_zps651a277e.jpg

I gave it a scrape as far as a long screwdriver would let me, knocked the crud out that I'd loosened, jet blasted it a bit and then gave it 4 rounds of foam de-greaser and Mr Muscle oven cleaner (the de-greaser kept clogging). After an hour's work and some time to dry it looked a little more like this:

IMAG0240_zps611c555e.jpg

Much wider inlet and smoother airflow, I have noticed that the power is smoother, more consistent and doesn't feel so choked or wheezy near the top end (3.5k+). Definitely worth doing and not that difficult, even for a non-mechanic like me!

The space is tight so not really suitable if you have hands bigger than a baby's or wrists wider than a toilet roll tube! This is the space where the manifold comes out from:

IMAG0238_zpsc0e8423a.jpg

I followed this guide HERE as recommended by Muttley, but I would make a few points:

1. The TIP doesn't "need" to be removed, you can work around it and move it out of your way to a certain extent and still access everything.

2. I would remove the TIP, it's a pain in the deriere working around it!

3. The EGR cooler doesn't need to be removed either - simply push it back and let it rest on the exhaust manifold as above, the coolant pipes then don't need clamping and it saves some time.

4. Remember to re-fit the gaskets from the EGR cooler to the EGR!!! I forgot one and ended up hitting limp mode the next day while I was 40 miles from home on a day out with my girlfriend! Needless to say it was pretty annoying/worrying. It had started raining when I was refitting stuff so I was in a rush to refit everything :whistle:

Apart from that it's a simple if time consuming job and it's and it's working well now, except for the boost gauge rattle that has come as a result :censored:

Got to get my n/s CV boot changed soon, try and sort out the clunk coming from my driver's side suspension and squeaks coming from the rear, and then look at getting a catch can fitted to clean up the air flow completely.

As always, comments welcome :)

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
We did the black one I've been driving round on Thursday night as we did the turbo on that, and yours was worse than mine and Chris' put together!! Chris' is on 130000 too. Car looked too good at ud! Gutted I couldn't go :(

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
that is really pretty caked, i took my egr off on saturday and that was bad. Inlet manifold looks just as bad so ill give that a go when its a bit drier lol

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
The inlet (from my experience) will be worse than the egr, I think it's because it gathers after the butterfly valve, happened with two different cars I've fitted egr deletes to.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
We did the black one I've been driving round on Thursday night as we did the turbo on that, and yours was worse than mine and Chris' put together!! Chris' is on 130000 too. Car looked too good at ud! Gutted I couldn't go :(

Haha yikes, I thought it was pretty bad to be fair, have wanted to do it since I took the EGR off first time! I can now get the EGR off and on in about half an hour though :p
And cheers mate :D after UD all I kept thinking was fit and finish needs to be of higher standard, and LOWER! :ban:

that is really pretty caked, i took my egr off on saturday and that was bad. Inlet manifold looks just as bad so ill give that a go when its a bit drier lol

The inlet (from my experience) will be worse than the egr, I think it's because it gathers after the butterfly valve, happened with two different cars I've fitted egr deletes to.

As Joshy said, the manifold is definitely worse - it's like the outlet side of your EGR plus 10% and it builds up like a funnel. The bit where the exhaust gasses get in is at the bottom of that pipe just after the EGR valve, it's pulled open using the vac pipe normally attached at the top. Hence why I have pulled my vac pipe off and plugged it :p EML I can live with, a 3 hour strip down and clean of the inlet I can't!

Outlet side of EGR after a clean:

IMAG0189_zps49ba4276.jpg

Not really had much chance to try out my clean inlet but if flow rate is even 5% better and as msooth as it's felt up to now then I know it's done some good! Can't wait to get a catch can and have completely clean air flow.

Yatesy87

Hey man. Just been reading up on your motor- good work! It looks awesome. I had a walk around yours and the black, forge-clad LCR at UD the other weekend. Both were looking sweet!

I was with my gf's brother and his white mk2 golf, that I detailed for him, in the row behind yours.

Keep up the good work!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Thanks mate :D yeah the black one is really nice, his name is goldie74 on here if you haven't seen his thread already.

Sounds nice mate, got any pics from UD? Am a sucker for Mk1/2 Golfs!

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Thanks mate :D yeah the black one is really nice, his name is goldie74 on here if you haven't seen his thread already.

Sounds nice mate, got any pics from UD? Am a sucker for Mk1/2 Golfs!

Cheers mate:)
Yeah any pics??Also really like old school VW Golfs!

Last edited:

Yatesy87

Ah cool, I'll have a nosey on his build :)

Yeah my mrs was wandering about with her big camera and snapped a load. Yeah mk1's are my fav but do love a good mk2 :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.