DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
£150 inc vat from darkside, with a smaller oil pick up. that's not including sealant and new oil though, so close to £200. But.... what I plan to do, because it's a steel bottom is get 5mm or similar steel plates welded to the bottom for extra protection, that way it will be 6mm up from OEM sump, as it's 11mm shallower standard. 1mm could make the difference between driving home and not though....

Hmm, unless I have any sump trouble I don't think I'll bother for the time being then! Sounds like a good plan to reinforce it though.

Awesome, looks smart as fook sitting lower now :)

Cheers Tom :D can't wait to get it cleaned on Friday, the guy is spending a few hours on it, wash, clay, machine polish and seal, interior, wheels and everythin! Just need to clean the engine bay and try and sort the stone chips in the wheel lacquer!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I've taken a few days off to do some last minute things to the car ready for UD on Sunday, today consisted of wrapping my centre console, now has a nice carbon look instead of grey/silver:

IMAG0218_zps6e2c609f.jpg

I also gave the engine bay a bit of a clean up and some Meg's Endurance tyre gel to spruce things up a bit :)

IMAG0220_zps13b74f5c.jpg

Looks nicer with the sprayed engine/battery covers and water/coolant caps!

Hopefully will have time to smarten up the wheels tomorrow (please don't rain!) and then get it cleaned/polished Friday! After which I'll go round the window seals giving them a clean and giv all the external plastics and rubber some tyre dressing treatment ;)

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
I'll meet you at UD mate :) be nice to see yours, everything looks better sprayed mate ;) have you thought about the audi R8 cap set?? that'll go well with yours i reckon

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
I'm still in love with this!

Absolutely love the euro look, i'd love to go that low but with the standard starfish alloys i think i'll just go down on 35mm springs, especially since the road around here are rough as anything.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
+1 for j caps, but how do you buy them, aren't they imported?

They are but I'm pretty sure they offered international shipping on their website when I looked. Just be prepared to pay the customs charges!

JCaps?? anyone got a link??

As said, search google ;)

I'm still in love with this!

Absolutely love the euro look, i'd love to go that low but with the standard starfish alloys i think i'll just go down on 35mm springs, especially since the road around here are rough as anything.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the kind comments :)

I wouldn't worry about going low, the roads here are awful! Potholes, uneven, speedbumps etc and I've not had any problems yet! With the starfish I think you can get away with lows if you get something like 20mm spacers and fat tyres that look somewhat motorsport ;) something like THIS

In other news, my mats arrived today :funk: I kept them simple and went with black mats with orange edging, got them off ebay off Pattern One Autostyle. When I was looking to buy them their delivery estimate was 11th/12th March which was too late as I needed them for UD, so I rang them up and they arranged to have them out this week.

They came with round clips instead of oval (I forgot to check) but I just swapped the clips off my old mats. They are a slightly different shape to the original mats but fit well and look the biz!

IMAG0221_zpsc2dc5919.jpg

Trial fitted them for now, don't want to get them dirty before Sunday :p will be in permanently after that though! Rain has stopped play on getting my wheels sanded and re-lacquered so hoping for some good weather either tomorrow or Saturday to get them done.

After UD I'll be doing my brake swap/refurb and then holding off on the modding for a bit to give my bank account a rest! In the pipeline though are a DIY catch can, rear ARB, clean inlet manifold, Mk4 Golf Recaros, mufflerectomy/straight through and all the other bits I haven't got the time/money for at the moment!

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
Top work buddy. Fingers crossed for some dry weather so that you can get the last few bits finished off! It's a shame that I can't get to UD this year. It's usually a brilliant show. Enjoy :)

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
Hmm i see the yellow Cupra in that thread and it doesn't even looked lowered to me...but i don't wanna go too low and have to replace anything else like drop links, tie rod, ARB or anything like that :facepalm: i'm too lazy.

I'd love to have mine just a little higher than the red one in the thread, but can't bring myself to spend on coilovers when i've just replaced the turbo >.<

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
I got a bargain from a well known turbo company bud, i went to order online and it tried to charge me £189 for shipping to UK mainland lol, so i called up and made a bit of a fuss and ended up paying around £330 for a brand new Garrett OE unit.
I know it's still more money than getting the old repaired, btu that means i've still got a spare unit sat here for hybrid treatment in the future ;)

Yeah i've seen ones like AP, KW and JOM and i was very very temped, but i've seen very mixed reviews about all of them, being things like comfort, knocking, issues with other components after fitting, leaking shocks etc...I'm probably just paranoid tbh

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Wow! How good is that?! They're at least £650 for a genuine lol! You've got such a good bargain there, can always sell the other garrett unit as low mileage when you're done!! (Sorry dgj hijacked a little here) mine seem to be ok, arb is knocking I think but I've got another one to fit this weekend.

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
Yeah sorry for the hijack aha.

Yeah plannign on that.

Let me know how you get on with the new arb and ill make my decision haha

Tron-19

Jan 4, 2013
Love the wheels. Tyrus was a good choice for the car. Those with a black centre would look good on my Supercopa and a slight stretch on the tyres.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha no worries on the hi-jack guys :p we all do it! Yeh you can get coilovers cheap enough these days if all you're after is lows, but any decent drop will require a new ARB or Cupra R ARB and droplinks.

Cheers James, well the car was cleaned and polished yesterday, had 2 layers of Dodo Juice supernatural and came up a treat, wheels were sealed and don't actually look as bad as I thought! The weather isn't any better though so all I've managed to do today is re-fit my lower boost hose as it was full of oil and had popped off at the intercooler end this time :censored: all dried up, clipped back on and cable tied for extra security.

Cheers Tron :) yeah they are a nice choice on the Leon, more so on the cupra than the R because of the rounded look. That would look nice, dished wheels need stretch to look right IMO! Hoping to get more stretched tyres on the front when they need replacing.

Few pics of the finish from yesterday, have driven about 40ish miles since then and already needs another clean :cry: but the guy who washed it (mate of a mate) is a really nice guy and said I can take it back in later for a snowfoam and rinse in exchange for promoting them with a sticker ;)

SAM_0503_zpsf92c1631.jpg

SAM_0502_zps55952aae.jpg

SAM_0501_zpsc2922a00.jpg

SAM_0500_zpsb066f128.jpg

SAM_0497_zps8cf4cf7f.jpg

SAM_0498_zpsd6d8d9a7.jpg

SAM_0491_zps4b7bf424.jpg

SAM_0499_zps18b2ccad.jpg

SAM_0493_zps72feb60b.jpg

SAM_0507_zps52e28d4a.jpg

SAM_0506_zpsa4fe698d.jpg

SAM_0505_zps9a772d65.jpg

Have to say I'm well pleased with the results considering this was just with a machine polish and some wax! He also gave me a bottle of quick detailer to take to UD for those last minute touch ups ;) Lookin forward to seeing some good cars tomorrow and meeting a few of you folks :)