DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
No sanding, just used plastic primer and 4-5 coats of colour with 3-4 coats of laquer. My battery box turned out better than the engine cover funny enough :confused:

Yeah the wrap stuck fine, though I would probably spray it rather than wrap it in future as it's a rough surface and this shows up under the carbon wrap.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha mine just needs a damn good wash at the moment! And to be back on the wheels as it's currently on axle stands waiting for the front ARB to be replaced, the subframe bolts are pretty seized and don't want to risk snapping them! It's not me doing the car so the guy doing it is taking extra caution. Have set the coilovers a few notches lower though so should be sitting spot on when the wheels are back on :)

Then need to:

Fit new carriers/discs and refurb calipers
Steam clean seats/interior
Wash/clay/wax the outside
Clean engine bay
Clean and try and de-curb my wheels a bit....
Some more vinyl/spraying bits to do
Have a nervous break down

I think that's everything :p

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Haha mine just needs a damn good wash at the moment! And to be back on the wheels as it's currently on axle stands waiting for the front ARB to be replaced, the subframe bolts are pretty seized and don't want to risk snapping them! It's not me doing the car so the guy doing it is taking extra caution. Have set the coilovers a few notches lower though so should be sitting spot on when the wheels are back on :)

Then need to:

Fit new carriers/discs and refurb calipers
Steam clean seats/interior
Wash/clay/wax the outside
Clean engine bay
Clean and try and de-curb my wheels a bit....
Some more vinyl/spraying bits to do
Have a nervous break down

I think that's everything :p

Dude I personally wouldn't be too worried about shearing the subframe bolts, they are hefty lol! I'd be really careful about your sump though, especially if you're going lower! mine (when she was working) scraped quite abit, the sump as proper battered, and leaking, and the arb didn't knock.... I'm going to get a shallow one from darkside, Also, are you doing arb bushes with the new arb? I'd say its worth it with the subframe off.... I only ask because now I know how easy the subframe is to get off, I'll be doing it!

Might see you at UD, when I win with mine lol.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
It wasn't me doing it, the guy doing it for me was worried about them so I was left without a car for the night. I haven't really had any problems with the sump yet, my splitter on the other hand has taken a battering and is scuffed to crap along the front :p it acts as a handy gauge for whether I'm low enough or no though! Yeah the arb came with new bushes but not poly ones, to be fair I'm not going for race car so I'm happy with the improvements I've got from the new coilovers/arb, and also no knocking! :funk:

Good news though, got it all done now! :D so much more clearance!

IMAG0199_zps03ebb0ec.jpg

IMAG0200_zps7890e04a.jpg

New front arb on, lowered the front another 10mm or so and now just need to get the back done to get rid of that nose-down stance. On my drive the car looks like this because it's leaning, the rear isn't quite as low on level ground :(

IMAG0201_zps32ba7ae0.jpg

My wheel bolt covers arrived, so now my tatty bolts won't be letting me down at UD!

Before:

IMAG0203_zps09d1f9b3.jpg

After:

IMAG0205_zps652d46fc.jpg

I also got my new lower boost hose on today, no pics as it looks pretty much like in the post above only properly fitted. I also replaced the C-clips on both upper and lower hoses, my boost has risen by 0.1-0.15bar (around 2psi) and feels a lot more consistent!

Waiting on my mats to arrive, then going to give the car a proper clean inside and out and do the last few little bits I need to get done before Ultimate Dubs. Have decided to hang the brake upgrade until another time as I simply don't have the time to swap over and refurb the brakes all in one go at the moment.

Comments appreciated as always guys :)

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Cars looking really good mate looks mint,Glad you got the arb sorted,with the rear a little lower i think you will have the stance spot on!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cars looking really good mate looks mint,Glad you got the arb sorted,with the rear a little lower i think you will have the stance spot on!

Car looks great mate. Really tidy.
But lower ;-)

Alright, alright! I'm on it :p

Before:

IMAG0201_zps32ba7ae0.jpg

After fiddling for an hour yesterday, rear adjusters are now wound down completely:

IMAG0208_zpsb6013515.jpg

Can't get any lower at the back without removing adjusters which I'd rather not do as it will be near not drivable round here. I have to say though, dropping the back has made the car feel more balanced and a lot tighter when cornering, reduced roll and more precise all round.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
how do you find it being that low?? sump not scrape??

Your sump must scrape! Mine does and it isn't as low as yours!

I don't have any scraping on the sump, my wishbones/subframe sit lower than the sump anyway and I don't have an undertray on. I do catch the LCR splitter coming out of my drive (I live on a hill) and had to tighten one of the screws back up yesterday, but otherwise I haven't had any problems and there are some serious speed bumps round here.

What are you catching your sump on? Raised ironworks or speedbumps or the like?

goldie74

goldie74
Jan 1, 2013
Oxfordshire
Alright, alright! I'm on it :p

Before:

IMAG0201_zps32ba7ae0.jpg

After fiddling for an hour yesterday, rear adjusters are now wound down completely:

IMAG0208_zpsb6013515.jpg

Can't get any lower at the back without removing adjusters which I'd rather not do as it will be near not drivable round here. I have to say though, dropping the back has made the car feel more balanced and a lot tighter when cornering, reduced roll and more precise all round.

Thats spot on now mate!,bet your really happy with the way it sits as i think it looks great:)

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I don't have any scraping on the sump, my wishbones/subframe sit lower than the sump anyway and I don't have an undertray on. I do catch the LCR splitter coming out of my drive (I live on a hill) and had to tighten one of the screws back up yesterday, but otherwise I haven't had any problems and there are some serious speed bumps round here.

What are you catching your sump on? Raised ironworks or speedbumps or the like?

It might be because I'm in Cornwall and the country roads are always like tracks, with mud in the middle. My sump is absolutely battered, leaves oil drops when parked for half hour+, drips from the plug. Saying that Lodey in his Cupra with X5 alloys manages, and his is lower, but sump isn't as low. Saw him yesterday and he said he's raised it though.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Thats spot on now mate!,bet your really happy with the way it sits as i think it looks great:)

Thanks bud :) yeah really pleased with it, looks low in that pic as my drive leans but then I only did it yesterday so hoping it'll settle like that.

It might be because I'm in Cornwall and the country roads are always like tracks, with mud in the middle. My sump is absolutely battered, leaves oil drops when parked for half hour+, drips from the plug. Saying that Lodey in his Cupra with X5 alloys manages, and his is lower, but sump isn't as low. Saw him yesterday and he said he's raised it though.

Yeah true, apart from the speed bumps and pot holes the roads here are generally ok. That's a bitch, have you priced a shallow sump? Yeah I think it just depends on certain roads, and my sump doesn't seem as low as other TDIs.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Looks awesome bud, very nice example :D

Thanks mate, appreciate the good comments :D

In other news, I decided to try something a little different. The Cupra badge on the back looked a little out of place with the standard red segment.

IMAG0212_zpsc512dfa7.jpg

So I masked off the red bit and got out my trusty caliper paint...

IMAG0213_zps4951d7bb.jpg

IMAG0215_zpsd64c2fd6.jpg

The orange looks a bit better than that, but I may vinyl over it as the paint doesn;t look like it's holding very well.

Also sprayed my coolant cap and washer bottle cap in matt black and cleaned my power steering fluid cap up. Just need to tackle the rest of the engine bay now :p

IMAG0216_zps5350bbc1.jpg

Car's booked in for a clean, rotary polish, sealing and interior clean/detail on Friday. Going to give the car a wash with some Meguiar's Gold Class in the week as it's only had 1 wash in the last 2 months, should provide a clean base ready for the full works Friday!

Also got a steam cleaner to try and do some work on the seats, these will then be gone over on Friday with the rest of the cleaning work.

:)

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Thanks mate, I don't think I'll have mine open for long :p Got other things to sort out before I spend big under the bonnet. Shame you won't be displaying that V5 though!

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Thanks bud :) yeah really pleased with it, looks low in that pic as my drive leans but then I only did it yesterday so hoping it'll settle like that.

Yeah true, apart from the speed bumps and pot holes the roads here are generally ok. That's a bitch, have you priced a shallow sump? Yeah I think it just depends on certain roads, and my sump doesn't seem as low as other TDIs.

£150 inc vat from darkside, with a smaller oil pick up. that's not including sealant and new oil though, so close to £200. But.... what I plan to do, because it's a steel bottom is get 5mm or similar steel plates welded to the bottom for extra protection, that way it will be 6mm up from OEM sump, as it's 11mm shallower standard. 1mm could make the difference between driving home and not though....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members