DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Yeah mine aren't too bad yet, but the carpet is damp now it's rained over night. I will be doing mine when we get a few nice days of weather, so the offer is there if you want to help and do yours at the same time. The guide on here makes it look pretty simple.

As for £50, have you got pressed plates? (I ordered mine the other day.)

Aero wipers?

Also, what EGR delete pipe did you use?

Cool mate, cheers! Will be looking to do them in the summer when we have a few warmer days so I can leave the carpets dry out for a couple of days afterwards.

I have gel resin plates (a little more modern), Aero wipers (replacing aero blades), and I haven't deleted the EGR just unplugged the vac hose that causes it to open when the engine is at idle. Means I can keep the ASV and when I've had the EGR mapped out I'll be doing the cooler delete as well to save a kilo or 2.

When you do the service, undo the sump plug carefully, myself and a mate have battered two between us! Chocolate sump threads! I had to get some low entry 3tonne jacks for work because so many of us younguns have lowered cars, we have to position the car, jack the beam and then position the 2 post ramp legs haha! The legs don't fit under otherwise!

Ah yeah, cheers for the advise mate! Do I need to replace the sump plug when I've removed it or are they reuseable? Alot of VW bolts seem to be one use bits :shrug:

Haha yeah I had that problem when my exhaust fell off, they had to jack the front end up to get clearance for the 2 post ramp! :lol:

Loving the motor mate - All of these little touches make a big difference, cleaning included!

Cheers mate :) appreciate the kind words! The cleaning is probably the thing I neglect most to be honest, the wheels need frequent cleaning and I just don't get round to doing them as often as I should :rolleyes: you got a reader's ride up yet?

In other news, my Superpro arb bushes arrived yesterday, along with my Peugeot washer jets which I'm going to get fitted now. The arb bushes I'm going to do when I service the car so it's all done in one hit.

Also got my low entry jack and wiper blades ordered so should have those today/start of next week! Will be trimming the wiper blades down so I can re-seat the wiper arms and have them sitting at the bottom of the windscreen like Bosch intended [B)]

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Alright cheers mate, will get one ordered from my local VW stealer.

Got my new washer jets on, definitely better coverage but the passenger side one seems to keep popping out due to how close the inlet is to the hard pipe under the scuttle. Have managed to push the hard pipe back a bit but we'll see how long it loads! Going to try and sand down and re-lacquer my wheels to stop the current lacquer from getting any more milky.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
That's what I've used on them, had to file back a couple of curb marks picked up in the snow (couldn't see a pavement until I was rubbing against it!) and sand back the milky lacquer. Used some rattle can 2k lacquer for now so hoping that will at least stop them from getting any worse until I can afford to get them refurbed properly.

Anybody know what colour they would be classed as? As they're the most polished silver paint I think I've ever seen!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
My mistake, it's a 1k! But it will do for now unti lI can afford a full refurb. Have managed to smooth down most of the scuffs and get rid of the worst of the lacquer. I could pick some of it off with my thumb it was so brittle!

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hey mate just read thru your thread and must say you have a cracking looking car.......
You've just made me want to do the same under the bonnet with the colour coding ;)
Pretty much what I've got at the moment and will have a few things to do when I get back from work next month............

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Hey mate just read thru your thread and must say you have a cracking looking car.......
You've just made me want to do the same under the bonnet with the colour coding ;)
Pretty much what I've got at the moment and will have a few things to do when I get back from work next month............

Cheers mate, much appreciated :) The colour coding stuff works well with this colour I think, and isn't too lairy to work on an OEM+ beast like yours ;)

Haha, I'd say your's is a step or 2 above mine, love the porsche calipers and I need to get on and get a remap and such but I'm thinking of holding out for a BT instead....time will tell!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Have nearly all my service bits now, oil, filter, wipers (fitted and moved lower), arb bushes, just waiting on a bonnet seal, auxiliary belt and sump plug from our good friend Dave and then will get it all done!

Also made a cheeky little purchase yesterday, it involved needing one of these...

$%28KGrHqMOKooE4t5wUsRlBOL+4%28HF+w~~0_35.JPG

Now I just need to win the lottery to get all the other things done that I want doing!

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Have nearly all my service bits now, oil, filter, wipers (fitted and moved lower), arb bushes, just waiting on a bonnet seal, auxiliary belt and sump plug from our good friend Dave and then will get it all done!

Also made a cheeky little purchase yesterday, it involved needing one of these...

$%28KGrHqMOKooE4t5wUsRlBOL+4%28HF+w~~0_35.JPG

Now I just need to win the lottery to get all the other things done that I want doing!

M12 spline? Steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
It is indeed! Nothing fancy though, just an Audi A3 sport wheel so black with the thumb grips and no emblem on the bottom. I'm either going to modify the Seat airbag to fit or modify the Audi airbag so it's plain.

In other news, I serviced my car over the weekend:

- Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30
- UFI Oil Filter
- SuperPro poly ARB bushes
- Drained Diesel Filter
- Bonnet Seal
- Auxiliary V-belt

No pics of the oil, we all know what 5l of that looks like though!

Old worn ARB bushes:

IMAG0277_zpsa91c60af.jpg

New SuperPro poly bushes:

IMAG0280_zps85096980.jpg

I noticed that my old bushes didn't have grease on them, the guy that changed my ARB for me obviously didn't re-grease them :shrug:...no more clunking from lock to lock turns or over bumps now though!

Replaced my V-belt today, looks like I caught the old one just in time :whistle::

So all in all a very productive car weekend! That is until I went out to the car today and found THIS! :censored:

IMAG0282_zpse4cdd205.jpg

Completely gutted, at least it's only going to cost me my excess. Anyone know if they replace the glass with like for like? (IE black edges) and also if they replace or just re-use the rubber windscreen trim at the sides?

Hoping this is the last of my car troubles for a while, just booked a holiday with my girlfriend and her family!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Haha I hadn't noticed it until my girlfriend pointed it out! I think it's just with the changes in temperature over the weekend (between 2 and 15 degrees) that's done it. It looks to have started exactly where I cut the rubber away for my Aero wipers though...

Have got it booked for next Monday as that's the earliest they could do it! Otherwise would have to pay an emergency call out fee. At least it's only costing me my excess and not the full amount!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Very boring update, I had my windscreen replaced and it's the same as the old one, they re-used the old side bits which means my aero wipers still sit nice. This is the cleanest my windscreen will ever be, now has the usual film of bug's anus and such on there!

My Audi A3 'Sport' wheel arrived, it looks like the normal wheel only with thumb grips and is faded in a few places. Anyone know an easy (i.e. cheap) way to make it look a bit better? Have read about refurb kits but haven;t really got the money/time at the mo. Did read about using boot polish type stuff and some leather protector though to give a quick fix until I can do it properly?

That's all for now folks, saving up for a holiday and working extra is distracting me on the car front at present.

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Been a while since I had an update but spent some time recently sorting out the steering wheel I got off ebay! It's an Audi A3 'Sport' wheel with the thumb grips and without the usual 'S' or quattro badges or anything.

Received in this condition with a lot of scuffing and fading:

I stripped the airbag off and gave that a good clean with a scrubbing brush. I then used a Buffalo Leather steering wheel repair kit to clean the leather and re-dye it to a better finish:

This was after 3 coats of leather dye and a couple of applications of stain-guard stuff that came with the kit. It has quite a matte finish and there are a couple of patches where the sponge marks are apparent but they'll wear down with a couple of month's use.

I then had a go at spraying the Audi badge to get rid of that nasty chrome effect! If it's going in my car it might as well match the interior touches:

The old masking off and spraying method didn't work so I managed to pull the emblem off completely, spray it and refit it and ended up with this finished article:

Got that fitted Saturday afternoon so the interior went from this:

To this!:

I do prefer the style of the Seat airbag but there isn;t a plain black Seat wheel with thumb grips and the LCR ones still cost too much money to be pulling apart and re-stitching. And for a smidge over £50 (£30 wheel, £21 leather kit delivered) I ended up with a very nice compromise of a nice thick sports wheel to match my interior.

Also had a bit of a treat in work Saturday morning, saw an Audi Quattro LWB roll by my works and when I went out the back to take a look another one was pulling out of somebody's garage!

Both are pretty much stock, the white and blue one is running a shrick cam and putting out around 170bhp while the motorsport coloured one is bog standard except for an ATE fluid cylinder (it's even running the original brake servo, rust and all!).

Hoping to get my brake/clutch fluid and gearbox oil replaced soon just to smoothen things up, also looking out for a single DIN centre console to replace mine as it's scuffed to hell :rolleyes:

Cheers for looking!

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Wish I was still messing about with mine! I would say I like the idea of the audi wheel, but it would really annoy me because its now an audi lol! Future plans then?

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I know what you mean, that Audi badge does irk me somewhat, as does the peeling dye after only 4 weeks! :cry:

Future plans include polybushing the wishbones and rear beam axle, rear arb, rear beam centering plates, fixing my door seals, Golf GTI Recaro seats, catch can, uprated IC hoses, bigger turbo, stage 2 clutch, getting the wheels refurbed and winning the lottery to pay for it all!

Oh, and I can now cross off doing the dog bone mount bush because I fitted that today :D

And here it is fitted:

I haven't noticed much difference in vibration except maybe at 1100rpm as I pull away but nothing severe. There was a touch more drone in the cabin for maybe 30 seconds after starting the car but that went away pretty quick. The car picks up better, using the clutch feels smoother and gear changes don't jerk the car so hard, and for the sake of £23.49 plus less than an hour's work it's well worth doing.

I haven't been able to get rid of the front end clunk though which went away when I fitted my Superpro arb bushes but has gradually crept back :cry: Am thinking it may be wishbone bushes as the front bushes look perished and the rears are pushing on 9 years and 85k miles! Otherwise I don't know what else to look for beyond top mounts (which I have sprayed with grease), arb bushes (replaced), wishbone bushes or maybe a broken spring but doubtful as I had AP coilovers put on in January.

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Could be drop links, I changed loads on mine and finally got rid of the clunk, I did not tie rod and two tie rod ends, and I've got another tie rod to do when I'm back! Lower ball joins too! Loads of things it could be, not just rubber bushes either......

Sent from my iPhone

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I've had one ball joint changed, new drop links when I had the big loop arb put on and new top mounts when I had the coilovers done. How tight should the drop links be done up to the wishbones and arb? I did kind of He-man them back on when I did the bushes.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.