Universal FMIC with pics

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Ahh, interesting..

I'm considering calling up some old contacts in the trade and seeing if I can get my pipes welded to minimise the couplers, then I could hard pipe right to the other side of the charge pipe...

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Hey lads good read fair play. Want a FMIC for my cupra and wondering if anyone has gone down this route and has some pictures and info of an Ebay one fitted on a LC (I do have the LCR bumper so fitting space will be fine). Cheers in advance

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
I haven't, but I didn't want to anyway as I'm using the vents/apertures for brake cooling ducts.

If you want to keep the fog lights you will have to plan the pipe routing slightly differently, probably tighter into the chassis, not a problem as long as you plan for that. If you look at my build thread, particularly where I've laid out the pipes out on the grass, it would mean bringing the 90 degree bends in tighter so that the overall piping diameter (side to side) is less if you see what I mean. It's the vertical part of the piping that fouls the back of the foglight..

It's the same with the black plastic recess in the bumper that houses the grills, foglights etc. Some people go gung ho with the piping then find they have to trim the back of this recess as they've routed the pipes where this should sit.
Again, it's not a problem as long as you plan for it. It obviously adds time to the project as it requires lots of test fits of the bumper cover to make sure everything is lining up and clearing etc..

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2009
Newbury
sounds really cheeky but with your alterations to the list of bits you bought. have you an updated list of all the bits you have bought to do the build?

cheers mate.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
sounds really cheeky but with your alterations to the list of bits you bought. have you an updated list of all the bits you have bought to do the build?

cheers mate.

No not at all, it's what makes car forums great, share the knowledge!

Check out my build thread, i've put a shopping list on there.

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I'm sure its bigger than the existing coolers. I would imagine it will still be more efficient over the old twin coolers anyway.

Cheers

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
Much much more efficient! For a start it's getting a direct, unrestricted air flow which helps massively.

Couple that with nice unrestricted, free flowing 63mm piping and overall its a significant improvement over the OEM setup.

To prove it, log your before and after temps with VAG-COM if you or someone near to you has it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members