Nightmare front shock change.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Fu** me sideways, swapped pads to pagid and it is sorted, the movement in the caliper with Brembo pads was nearly 4mm, no movement with pagid.
My experience with pads clunking in the caliper is that you never have to do anything about it.

It's not unusual to have a gap, especially with aftermarket pads, but if you ignore the noise dirt and brake dust soon builds in the gaps and the noise stops.

More of an issue is the pads being too tight as it can stop them moving freely. Overheating brakes or uneven wear, much more undesirable than a little noise.

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My experience with pads clunking in the caliper is that you never have to do anything about it.

It's not unusual to have a gap, especially with aftermarket pads, but if you ignore the noise dirt and brake dust soon builds in the gaps and the noise stops.

More of an issue is the pads being too tight as it can stop them moving freely. Overheating brakes or uneven wear, much more undesirable than a little noise.

Agree.

I had clunking brake pads on my last VW when the car was new and it didn’t bother me. I was aware that free play of the pads in the calipers wasn’t that uncommon and the clunking normally stopped after a short period, and sure enough it did stop.

Reactions: Mr Pig

rob280

Oct 27, 2019
Agree.

I had clunking brake pads on my last VW when the car was new and it didn’t bother me. I was aware that free play of the pads in the calipers wasn’t that uncommon and the clunking normally stopped after a short period, and sure enough it did stop.
I ended up buying genuine pads, i understand there needs to be some free play in the pads but the rattling was unbearable.
Compared the sizes of genuine pad vs aftermarket pad and they appeared the same.
The only obvious difference was the spring tension on the pads.
The genuine pads have alot more tension on the springs so they cant rattle i guess. Car is whisper quiet now.

Reactions: Walone

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Compared the sizes of genuine pad vs aftermarket pad and they appeared the same.
The only obvious difference was the spring tension on the pads.
The genuine pads have a lot more tension on the springs so they cant rattle i guess. Car is whisper quiet now.
Aftermarket parts are a lottery. They can be absolutely fine or really not great. I've had aftermarket pads that were very loose, others I had to file down to get into the caliper. It's not unusual for them not to come with the anti-rattle shims at all, which is fine if you can transfer them over from the old pads but the point is that these are the variables you can see. What about the things you can't see? Just how good is the friction material? How well attached is it? I'd certainly stay away from the cheaper end of the market.

Reactions: rob280
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.