DaNnY_LaD's IHI'd Cupra ( End Of a Eara 08/11/2009)

jay26

Feb 6, 2009
scunthorpe
must say mate was following this on corsa sport and thort it was cool as

come to think of it its prob why i sold the corsa and got one lol

little

Hello Danny, let me first congratulate you for your beautiful Cupra. I've been reading all the 39 pages and it's just great.
Sorry for the off-topic but as I'm about to install a GT2X kit to my Bora MK4 I would like to ask you a couple of question: first what do you think about this kit, are you happy with its performance? Any troubles so far? Another issue is the oil restrictor, I've talked to the guys al ATP and they've told me that this turbo doesn't use one. Even more they told me that if I use one I'll have oil starvation problems which will lead to turbo destruction.
I think that I've read somewhere in your post that you have or are going to install an oil restrictor, am I right? What can you tell me about this?
Thanks in advance for all your help :wave:

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Hello Danny, let me first congratulate you for your beautiful Cupra. I've been reading all the 39 pages and it's just great.
Sorry for the off-topic but as I'm about to install a GT2X kit to my Bora MK4 I would like to ask you a couple of question: first what do you think about this kit, are you happy with its performance? Any troubles so far? Another issue is the oil restrictor, I've talked to the guys al ATP and they've told me that this turbo doesn't use one. Even more they told me that if I use one I'll have oil starvation problems which will lead to turbo destruction.
I think that I've read somewhere in your post that you have or are going to install an oil restrictor, am I right? What can you tell me about this?

alright mate..

Yeah this is still and On going discussion really as the 1.8t run around 60psi oil pressure and the Gt2x is a journel Bearing turbo...
Theres a few people running them without problems but when it comes of to be made a hybrid i will fit a one...As Cr turbo advise me to use one..

At 1st i didnt really rate it as tbh it wasnt running like and many others slate the gt2x says its really laggy ect..

Yeah but theres nothing droping a cog or 2 cant sort out:p..Even in 5th and not in boost range it still pulls...as its a very torquey turbo...
Like Jamiebennett really hated his gt2x hybrid said it wasnt fast at all...But 3months on nearlly and now its working spot on without boost leaks ect..Hes Even having second thoughts about going Bt!

I love my gt2x on the ibiza....Ive had many r32s,scoobs and evo or the sorts and i love it...

little

Thanks for your reply Danny, I really appreciate it.
It's like you say with the restrictor issue, there's people telling not to use it and there's people telling that it should be used. I'm kind of lost here :think:
Regarding the big turbos let me tell you my experience: we have an Eliminator 2 GTRS kit installed in a friend's Bora MK4 and it dynoed so far 352 HP spiking 23 psi and holdind 19 psi.
Don't get me wrong the car runs great but it has lost a lot of the daily driver characteristics that I want in my car.
So I'd rather have almost 20% less horses with almost the same torque and a more fun car to drive everyday in the street. But that's only my opinion :wave:

jamiebennett81

Like Jamiebennett really hated his gt2x hybrid said it wasnt fast at all...But 3months on nearlly and now its working spot on without boost leaks ect..Hes Even having second thoughts about going Bt!

have to agree on that front. Have finally got to a place where the kit is working for me, as to how I always thought it should have worked. The boost I think can be ironed out better with the EBC, in terms of holding it better, but holds boost well. still around 1.1 bar near the redline in 4th

I still think I will go BT, but for now, it is a good turbo which offers up some nice power

jamiebennett81

Another issue is the oil restrictor, I've talked to the guys al ATP and they've told me that this turbo doesn't use one. Even more they told me that if I use one I'll have oil starvation problems which will lead to turbo destruction.

I said no to this on mine

me and Bill Brockbank (badger5) looked at this and decided against it

as it is a journal bearing turbo, it needs a constant flow of oil, and the restrictor would have effectively drip fed the bearings and starved it of oil

I had a bad gut feeling about it, and going on Bill's advice, who for me is the most experienced and best tuner on here, I agreed with him and we did not fit this

some people have fitted it as they state the oil pressure is too high, and the oil seals blew, but I have only read one instance of this so far, so putting it down to a one off. not only this, but on this example the compressor wheel also failed so I would put it down to more of a turbo failure as a unit

so far on mine, no issues at all (touch wood) IMO, I would advise against it

if you are unsure, drop Bill a pm and get his views on this

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Danny, you still want to get it on the rollers? If so we can still fit you in on the north east rr day if you want?

little

Thanks a lot for your reply Jamie. How long or how many miles have you been running the GT2x so far?
I tried to find Bill using the search engine but I couldn't find him. His user name is "badger5"? How can I contact him? :think:

jamiebennett81

Thanks a lot for your reply Jamie. How long or how many miles have you been running the GT2x so far?
I tried to find Bill using the search engine but I couldn't find him. His user name is "badger5"? How can I contact him? :think:

probably a couple of thousand miles now easily and no issues with the turbo unit itself

post in his section here:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138

dont think you can pm him as you only have 8 posts so far (cant remember what the minimum is)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Abit of bad news really...

This afternoon Just after Fitting the next step off my catch tank(Removing the t-peice ect)

I let it warm up and i got blue Smoke on idle through the exhaust and smoke from manifold/turbo area!!!
Its odd how it just starting doing in on idle just after i finished off the Catch tank...But the seals have been blowing for a tad while...

So i got straight on to it and completely stripped it down and took off all the bits on my car...

Its all ready in a box and all packaged up ready for the Hybrid treatment!!!

Just contacted Cr turbos to come and collect it!!!

Bugger!!!

ian_cupra

this had nothing to do with the catch tank, like he said mate, seals were already on way out :)

bad news danny, but at same time some good news, now will be even quicker ;)

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
have to agree on that front. Have finally got to a place where the kit is working for me, as to how I always thought it should have worked. The boost I think can be ironed out better with the EBC, in terms of holding it better, but holds boost well. still around 1.1 bar near the redline in 4th

I still think I will go BT, but for now, it is a good turbo which offers up some nice power

Guys.... 1.1 bar @ red line is poor for a hybrid. A k03 or k04 hybrid will hold a minimum of 1.4 bar to the red line. Consider going kkk route before spending your hard earned.

jamiebennett81

this had nothing to do with the catch tank, like he said mate, seals were already on way out :)

bad news danny, but at same time some good news, now will be even quicker ;)

+1

nothing to do with the catch can

another blown gt2x unit......

be interesting to see what CRT say about the diagnosis of it. When you say it is blown, what is "blown" exactly?

I would still be iffy about the oil restrictor too. Again be interesting to see if CR said the oil pressure was too high or it was starved of oil?

sorry to hear your troubles anyhow mate

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.