Suj's S14a 200sx....Has been replaced.....Now Sold!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
How did I not notice this thread... These and the S13 are the pretty much the only 'drifter cars' that are actually beautiful(I mean, Skylines are cool and all but not beautiful imho)

Looks so nice! Just a question... My boss owns a (mint) mk3 Supra which I rode in a couple of times... Are these S14a's as quick as those or comparable as far as you know? Always wondered how fast these things are tbh :confused:

Subscribed :)

Thanks MB, won't be used for drifting (much lol) I wanted something decently priced (tick), easily modded (tick) and handle quite well (tick) (oh and not stupid on insurance too (tick)).

I would put money on the Supra being quicker as they are 3.0L twin turbo's against the 200sx 2.0L single turbo.

If it was a non turbo supra they'd be pretty close.

the mk3 isn't twin turbo'd, single turbo, and in standard, they are about same (as mk3 supra weighed 1590kg, with 230bhp, whereas 200sx weighed 1240kg with 197bhp) so very similar all in.

The non-turbo is slow as hell, mk2 ibiza's have better 0-60's (as I beat a guy at dubmeet, is a complete idiot in his non-turbo mk4 supra).

But the mk3 turbo supra's handled power well, not as good as the 2JZ in the mk4 supra (they were just soooo over-engineered lol).

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
R33 Skyline Front Brakes

Just got me some R33 Skyline GTS-T front brakes. (GTS-T is a RWD skyline, with RB25DET single turbo, whereas R33 GT-R had a RB26DETT twin turbo lump and 4wd).

Basically the S14/S14a's came with 4pot front 280mm brakes, but were made out of steel, so stupidly heavy.

Well the GTS-T's came with 4pot front 296mm brakes, but made out of alloy, so very VERY light (ridiculous how light lol)
They bolt straight on, so a good easy great upgrade (also use same brake pads as S14's so easy to get hold of, just the discs are more effort).

Skyline Brakes by Suraj Joshi, on Flickr

Got them off a guy breaking his R33 GTS-T, he didn't know how to price them (or anything he was selling, so everything was well cheap). I got Calipers, pads, discs (need to be rubbed down, to remove rust) and braided lines for a third of what people pay for just the calipers hahahahahahah :D (delivered too).

Quite a small mod, but they cool better, more surface area for heat to dissipate off, lighter, so less unsprung mass and also provide less fade :D

So for what I paid, i'm over the moon.

Watch this space, more bits coming which I need to pick up :)

Mythbuster

Oct 6, 2010
Made, The Netherlands
Thanks MB, won't be used for drifting (much lol) I wanted something decently priced (tick), easily modded (tick) and handle quite well (tick) (oh and not stupid on insurance too (tick)).

the mk3 isn't twin turbo'd, single turbo, and in standard, they are about same (as mk3 supra weighed 1590kg, with 230bhp, whereas 200sx weighed 1240kg with 197bhp) so very similar all in.

The non-turbo is slow as hell, mk2 ibiza's have better 0-60's (as I beat a guy at dubmeet, is a complete idiot in his non-turbo mk4 supra).

But the mk3 turbo supra's handled power well, not as good as the 2JZ in the mk4 supra (they were just soooo over-engineered lol).

The mk3 supra I rode in was a turbo with auto box, and it kicked the *ss out quite a lot in the rain... I really didn't know these were as fast as the turbo'ed Supra's... And I'm really suprised the non-turbo's were slower than mk2 Ibiza's... :headhurt:

I meant to say there's like, a group of (mainly) Asian cars and they're nearly all part of the whole drifting scene, like the Silvias, Skylines and some other cars... I don't really like most of those cars but I really like these.

Also, you lucky bugger, finding parts that cheap lol:p

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Looks like your doing a pucka job mate, lightweight goodness! Isn't there a multiplication factor for the effect unsprung weight has over sprung weight?

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
The mk3 supra I rode in was a turbo with auto box, and it kicked the *ss out quite a lot in the rain... I really didn't know these were as fast as the turbo'ed Supra's... And I'm really suprised the non-turbo's were slower than mk2 Ibiza's... :headhurt:

I meant to say there's like, a group of (mainly) Asian cars and they're nearly all part of the whole drifting scene, like the Silvias, Skylines and some other cars... I don't really like most of those cars but I really like these.

Also, you lucky bugger, finding parts that cheap lol:p

Yeah they are easily modded to good powers, but quite quick standard.

Well the non-turbo Supra is 210bhp, with 1490kg, ibiza 150bhp with 1050kg... ;)

I do apologise, I was thinking of the MK4! Didnt realise there had been so many supra's!

Don't worry, not many people do, I thought you meant mk4 :D

Looks like your doing a pucka job mate, lightweight goodness! Isn't there a multiplication factor for the effect unsprung weight has over sprung weight?

Thanks Luke, yeah I can't remember the factor neither, but my friend had them on his S14a (and another mate on his old S14, before he got 8pot 356mm K-Sport brakes lol) so they suggested is as a great bolt on mod :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks damo, much appreciated dude, I might have to take you up one that offer :D

Will drop you a message on FB, as they don't look too bad, just a bit of surface rust really.
Thanks, don't get many generous people like that :D

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Just been out and took the calipers apart to clean all the crap and sand them down.

Need some help, I want to paint them silver (like the OEM ones) what is best paint, something high temp I guess? (never painted brakes before, so any links etc would do, people normally use hammerite right?)

Thanks in advance, the brake lines (original) have been rounded, so I need to get my ass down to a garage to get them removed :)

Love them, as the pads can be changed in situ, just need to remove the retaining pin, and remove 2 sliders, slide in ned pads..do in reverse..voila :D

gavbey

THE SPARKIE
Oct 7, 2009
Perth / Lerwick
alrightey bud, car looks realy nice, my second car is an r33 gts-t type m.

what do you think about working on jap cars? i find it realy simple. no hidden secret nuts and bolts.

enjoy :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Hey gavbey.

Yeah dude, it is, simple yet effective, thing is though, my uncle and his best friend ran a Garage, which also imported nothing but jap cars, so since 11 (12years ago...yikes makes me seem old lol) I have been working on them, so I know my way around jap cars more then most, but as I never owned one, mainly been VAG its all coming back lol.

Thanks mate :)

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
cant wait to see the progress on this, my mate just got a S14 and its lovely :D

as for the calipers, hammerite smooth is the choice of many :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks Klone, nor me, I can't wait until its stage 1a.
I am loving the reviews of the MPG they are getting from stage 1a, over standard.
Standard running 0.9bar they are getting 28-30mpg.
Stage 1a running 1.1bar they are getting 35-39mpg....wtf? like 300bhp, but 39mpg hahah.
The chip inmproves cruising loads, hence better MPG.

Whats your mate got planned for his?

I been reading about Hammerite Smooth just now, is it good for heat? as they will take a bit of a beating in nurburgring in november, don't want to be removing it in germany as it toasts?

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
from what i've seen hammerite is good for high temps, but i cant confirm that ive never tracked a car with hammerite on...

if your not sure you can buy high temp paint for it.. and if their off the car means painting is easier :)

My mate wants 280/300bhp and then will strip it for drifting i think... if he doesnt write it off first...

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Ok thanks Klone, I get you, don't want to say yes then it fries lol. Thanks :D

Oh so around same as me, tbh engine is good for 350-365bhp (standard internals) but you will need a slightly bigger turbo though, but stage 1a is best with just bolt on items :D

PS anyone bored, made a Tumblr called: Mainly Vehicular
http://surajjoshi.tumblr.com/

Keep updating it when bored :D

Klone

Aug 24, 2010
Clacton On Sea
their engines are epic... id love one but they hold their value too much for me to pick one up.

my mate got his SILLY cheap because the sills were rotten which he has fixed.... so got a good runner for nect to nothing compared to the going rate.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
You think? I think they have dropped in prices loads, £2.5-3.0k you can get one with decent enough mods done (less hassle) even stage 2's going for just over £3k at the moment, people are annoyed as its a buyers market at the moment.

I agree, like most older jap, so well over engineered mechanically, shame their bodies weren't so rust proof :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members