Phoenix's Project Blueshift... (INCIDENT!)

Amjad

Oct 26, 2010
Cardiff/Southampton Uni
Looking good :)

With the smoothed airbox, did you fit it with the stock air filter at any point or with the Green?

Just wondering if it's worth doing with the standard element?

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Thanks mate, always good to get some comments, make sure you get some pics up too. :)

My first 'mod' as such was your standard airbox with a green panel filter..... in my opinion it was definately better, felt a little more responsive too! :) It's always worth doing if you don't want to do too much but want a nice little performance increase.... although if you can afford it and give it the time and effort i HIGHLY recommend re-locating a cone filter behind the wing..... not just for sound but the performance is constant with no heat soak... :)

I really should update this soon.... keep posted. :)

Amjad

Oct 26, 2010
Cardiff/Southampton Uni
Thanks for the info!

Our Cupra is the TDi 150, when we were looking for a Golf GTTDi I read up on UKMKIVs, and there were some tests of Airbox vs CAI. I think the Airbox setup worked out better for diesels (they measured MAF readings), so that's probably what I'll go for eventually.

I was just wondering if it would be worth smoothing the airbox and using the standard filter element until I can afford to bang in a Green filter?

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
If you're going 'green' anyway then yeah, if you get a spare minute go for some smoothing, it's all preparation for the new filter. Have a word with Bill from Badger5 on here, he's doing them cheaper than anywhere i've found. Everyone seems to have slightly different experiences and opinions with panels and cones, if you get the chance try them both and see how you get on. :)

And i envy you with your car, originally i really wanted a PD150, but i just couldn't stretch my budget. :( Hope it's all good for you mate!

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Thanks for the info!

Our Cupra is the TDi 150, when we were looking for a Golf GTTDi I read up on UKMKIVs, and there were some tests of Airbox vs CAI. I think the Airbox setup worked out better for diesels (they measured MAF readings), so that's probably what I'll go for eventually.

I was just wondering if it would be worth smoothing the airbox and using the standard filter element until I can afford to bang in a Green filter?

Don't smooth the top half of the airbox unless you want it to sound like an impreza on tickover! I done mine and I hate it..........sounds crap without the fins in the top half and doesn't idle as well as standard.

Amjad

Oct 26, 2010
Cardiff/Southampton Uni
If you're going 'green' anyway then yeah, if you get a spare minute go for some smoothing, it's all preparation for the new filter. Have a word with Bill from Badger5 on here, he's doing them cheaper than anywhere i've found. Everyone seems to have slightly different experiences and opinions with panels and cones, if you get the chance try them both and see how you get on. :)

And i envy you with your car, originally i really wanted a PD150, but i just couldn't stretch my budget. :( Hope it's all good for you mate!

Hehe thanks man, TDi was essential as we only changed cars because it's cheaper to run a Diesel! Needless to say A Cupra is a much better car than a Megane :happy:

Don't smooth the top half of the airbox unless you want it to sound like an impreza on tickover! I done mine and I hate it..........sounds crap without the fins in the top half and doesn't idle as well as standard.

I think I may leave the smoothing after all, I'd rather just replace the feed with an R32 DSG Air feed!

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well.... it's been 3 months since my last update so i think i'd better get updating!

Latest additions are various vinyl stickers, general oil/fuel filter service, and my THS performance engine mounts. The car is starting to come together now after all little niggles i've had, noteably a rubbish Christmas due to my 1st and 2nd gear selector fork breaking.... £400 worth of repair bill = Merry Christmas Jimz!

Anyway, more mods are planned in the near future, those being smoked side repeaters on Monday, as well as updated pictures hopefully.

LCR splitter to fit when i finally get given it (a late Christmas present from my bro), and wheels and rocker cover to be powdercoated and fitted. Before that there is a need to save for MOT, tax and insurance is hitting me in April!

Anyway, more updates soon.

Enjoy guys! :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Right then, as promised a few picture updates... one of a slightly modified picture of my car, the others of my rocker cover just fitted. :)

TurbineMod1.jpg

P1020385.jpg

And the new powdercoated cover...

2011-03-07164932.jpg

2011-03-07173116.jpg

Before:

P1020390.jpg

During:

P1020391.jpg

...and after...

P1020392.jpg

It's a 'cherry blue' and it looks much better seing it first hand so collar me if you're at a meet and i'll show ye! There's going to be some more silicone in there soon too, and i'm moving the vac reservoir too. Clean it up a bit.

In addition to this there's been some additional vinyl stickers added to the windows from my local club, and as each one is rumoured to give an extra 5bhp that brings me up to 235BHP!!! :) I jest!

Uprated tail/stop bulbs which were a bit expensive but well worth it for the effect... it's like putting your rear fogs on lol!

Next on the list will be to get my inlet manifold powdered and fit my splitter, but before that i need to get some coil packs and prepared for the triple hit of MOT, Tax and Insurance next month!

Enjoy!

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Eventually probably yes, just doing the vac lines as i can get fairly cheap silicone through work.

Coolant hoses after i get some spare income, then TIP (expensive though).

Turbo hoses i'll replace when i can get a FMIC. :)

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Cheers Mike! :)

Right i think another update is on the cards...

Latest additions to the Cupra are rear discs and pads (solid), Hel braided lines and Dot4 brake fluid (courtesy of Bill at Badger5). What a change to performance! I don't know what brake fade is anymore! Well worth the investment!

Along with that i've had my suspension top mounts replaced, fitted a catch can and finally my LCR splitter:

2011-03-28183118.jpg

My inlet manifold is now powdercoated along with my strut top caps and waiting to be fitted but i managed to break to injector seats when i was fitting them so new ones need to be acquired lol! Hopefully the end of the week it'll be done. :)

I've managed to do the W8 light modification too which looks really smart but the LED's are a bit too bright so i'll need to dull them down with some black pen me thinks. Pictures to follow.

That's about it for now i think, now to clean whatever is on the bonnet of my car off.... :\ doesn't look like birds to me...

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well after finding out it was TOMATO KETCHUP on my bonnet it was cleaning time again on Monday. Stupid people, what's the point?

What a day yesterday was though.... popped down to Clive Atthowe Tuning in Norwich and got myself a Revo Stage 1 map.... such an improvement and well worth the money!

Also found out my N249 was 'bypassed' before it had even been 'bypassed'... resistored in the coilpack wiring loom.

Inlet manifold to go on this weekend then some updated pics...

What next though? Tyres or anti-roll bars?

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Hahaha yes they are on the cards mate... not for a little bit though, just bought myself a guitar and amp so car work is having to be put to one side till i can pay that off.

Updated pictures after all this time!

W8 light off...

2011-04-29181656.jpg

W8 light on!

2011-04-29181642.jpg

And the new inlet manifold and strut top caps, and catch can too!

2011-04-29181525.jpg

2011-04-29181605.jpg

2011-04-29181617.jpg

And that's about it for now...

Next on the list is drilling my wheel arch lining to give more cooling to my SMIC... then a short break on mods while i pay off other stuff...

Enjoy!

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Thanks mate, just need to try and do the same to the throttle body and possibly the alternator housing but i have a feeling that'll be a bit of a mission!

Are you local by any chance? Lol and where's your build thread?! :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members