What did you and your MK2 do today?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
35+?????

Only way you'd get that would be if the car was being transported on the back of a wagon lol

Had 39.9 out of mine on my way to work one day, I was really early so decided to try and hypermile just for giggles, gutted I didn't hit 40.

I then went home a little less efficiently :)

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
Lol so you tell me everyone who owns a Cupra hammers the hell out of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
I had my first cupra when I was 22. My point is that if you don't drive your car hard, why buy a faster one?

So you can brag that you have a fast car and then cry about the mpg whilst trying to save as much fuel as possible?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Lol so you tell me everyone who owns a Cupra hammers the hell out of them?

They certainly don't drive them with mpg in mind.

I don't mean that they are pinned to the redline every time the key is turned, but I'll wager fair money that they don't cruise around constantly in 6th gear either.

People that opt for these cars do so because they like to enjoy the performance that comes with it, which means giving it some pasty when you go out every now and then.

If I had no intention of driving my car hard at any point why would I have paid the extra to get such a powerful car with all the extra running costs that go with it :shrug: might as well just have gotten a more modestly powered diesel car.

It's like a single person buying a house with 5 bedrooms, you're never going to use them so why pay a premium for it???

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
Thank you for your responses it's something to keep in mind. Obviously I would like to use and feel the power now and again that's the reason I've been looking at them plus the looks.

Cheers guys!

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Thank you for your responses it's something to keep in mind. Obviously I would like to use and feel the power now and again that's the reason I've been looking at them plus the looks.

Cheers guys!

Just copy off the cupra looks then? And save ya pennies in ya stinky tractor :p

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Because they could kidnap 4 homeless people and keep them held captive in the 4 spare bedrooms?

Good angle I'd not thought of that.

I kind of expected someone to come back with the more sensible line of "so they can have friends round" but I'm glad to see you think out of the box, your prize for doing so is a visit from the local police force lol

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Good angle I'd not thought of that.

I kind of expected someone to come back with the more sensible line of "so they can have friends round" but I'm glad to see you think out of the box, your prize for doing so is a visit from the local police force lol

Hahahaha!!!

Why would the police complain? I'd be doing them a favour by cleaning up the streets

(In all seriousness I do feel sorry for homeless people, I'm not totally heartless lol)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home

Cheers guys!

They are great fun cars mate but they are built to be driven, if you don't think you are likely to do that then I personally would question whether it's worth the extra cost.

Just make the cosmetic changes to yours, that way you get the looks and keep the cheaper running costs, with the cash you save get a cheeky map on yours ;)

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
Money for insurance doesn't bother me lol.. I've paid over 10k for insurance for the past 6 years.

But because I'm 23 don't bother? I'm sure Andrew is like 24 or something and he has one lol?

I got mine when i was 22. If ou fancy getting it then getting it. Fuel costs dont bother me, when im not offshore i drive the leon a lot and hard! It's a good car but you have to realise as betty said you will be fillin up twice as much

Bdringhill

Noob
Mar 29, 2013
Other costs to look at are tyres, unless you're used to buying premium 19's, brakes are bigger too so if you have to do them they're more.

On a different note, parked my citrus next to a yellow fr in tesco, came out to find an orange one had parked next to me. Beautiful sight, should have taken a picture lol

Dingbell88

Jan 26, 2014
Glasgow
Mate get the car , when u want to go fast , go fast when u want to go slow go slow if u fancy driving with economy sometimes then drive easy .. Good too have the power on tap when u fancy it :) some days I average 12 others its 32 mpg .. Whatever mood I'm in and whatever I pull up next to at the lights lol

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Driven everyday, MPG is horrendous averaging about 22mpg (because MK is roundabouts and straight roads, the driving style is power,roundabout,power,roundabout)

Road tax doubled, Insurance doubled, Power doubled and oh yeh... tyre wear

Smiles per miles I think its called

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Speaking from recent experience: coming from a CR170 (albeit mapped and averaging 38mpg) to a Cupra R the increase in costs is insane! Fuel filled has easily MORE than doubled, insurance was only 40 quid more though. Road tax more than doubled. And we know maintenance costs are going to cripple us.....but it's a CupraR!! :) :) :) :)

Feb 6, 2014
Lincoln
Just to jump in on this, i recently did the same move, went from diesel to turbo petrol, albeit a mapped FR not a Cupra R. I changed jobs and stopped doing 30k miles per year, so no longer neaded 50mpg+

Just by way of context, I'm 26 with 8 years NCB living in a low risk area and I pay about £500 per year (includes the map declared and 20k miles per annum and business). This was an increase of about £100 over my last car, really quite reasonable. I would guess that your FR is quite high anyway so the difference might be small.

Road tax is not that great an expense if I'm honest, yes it doubled for me, but in comparison to other costs, I cant get that bothered about it.

Fuel.... whilst I don't have a Cupra R, I imagine it is broadly similar to mine on fuel (same engine). It can do 30mpg on a run, i got 38 recently, but I get 28 on the run into work. I drive sensibly (not hypermiling) and give it the beans every now and again. You will spend a lot more on fuel.

Tires will be expensive and you should never cheap out on them. Again though, your FR probably has decent rubber on 17" so the difference might not be so great.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the long and short of it is:
Is the cost of doubling you motoring costs outweighed by your desire to have a Cupra R?

Siboneh

Apr 3, 2012
UK
Just to jump in on this, i recently did the same move, went from diesel to turbo petrol, albeit a mapped FR not a Cupra R. I changed jobs and stopped doing 30k miles per year, so no longer neaded 50mpg+

Just by way of context, I'm 26 with 8 years NCB living in a low risk area and I pay about £500 per year (includes the map declared and 20k miles per annum and business). This was an increase of about £100 over my last car, really quite reasonable. I would guess that your FR is quite high anyway so the difference might be small.

Road tax is not that great an expense if I'm honest, yes it doubled for me, but in comparison to other costs, I cant get that bothered about it.

Fuel.... whilst I don't have a Cupra R, I imagine it is broadly similar to mine on fuel (same engine). It can do 30mpg on a run, i got 38 recently, but I get 28 on the run into work. I drive sensibly (not hypermiling) and give it the beans every now and again. You will spend a lot more on fuel.

Tires will be expensive and you should never cheap out on them. Again though, your FR probably has decent rubber on 17" so the difference might not be so great.

I'm not sure if this helps, but the long and short of it is:

Is the cost of doubling you motoring costs outweighed by your desire to have a Cupra R?

Thank you for your reply, I checked insurance mine currently is £640 and it's gone to £800 not bad.

I buy decent tyres already for my FR 18 inch Continental Contact Sport 5 all around.

I think it's the best time to have one.

Thanks it's helped a lot ;)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.