PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Soooooo

New header tank fitted, new thermostat and coolant temp sensor along with swapping a few hoses back to OEM ones. :) Still waiting on a rad top hose as its on back order before i can fill up with with G12 plus plus plus plus or whatever its called again.

Oh yeah, i bought Hoochs old 3071 setup along with a baffled sump from Beattie......

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Some pics...

Apr10.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

DSC03218.jpg

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Nice! You going to keep the mani as it is? Cracked alot from memory.

Yeah i remember that, but looking back on the posts some substantial mods were made to stop it from cracking, so hopefully i shouldnt get too many problems. Ill get it checked out anyway and see if there are any problem areas that might get worse as i use it.

I wont be using it with a brace either as i think that helped worsen the issues on it.

Plan is to run it at low boost after checking the map out on the dyno @ GotBoost then run it as it is for a few months til i can put in some valves, springs and some cams then let her loose. :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Plan is to run it at low boost after checking the map out on the dyno @ GotBoost then run it as it is for a few months til i can put in some valves, springs and some cams then let her loose. :)

you might have a small problem with that timescale depending..

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
I knew you would snap that up. Get the mani ceramic coated as it goes a nice shade of bright red and almost see through when on full chat. You got a bargain there mate. Any bits you want from my car? :)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
you might have a small problem with that timescale depending..

Just seen your post in your thread, im in no rush to get it fitted so it should be about ready to get on the new dyno when its in for a map check/tweak. :)

I knew you would snap that up. Get the mani ceramic coated as it goes a nice shade of bright red and almost see through when on full chat. You got a bargain there mate. Any bits you want from my car? :)

Have been thinking about that Alex, any other issues with the kit you know of?

Thanks for that, sorry i didnt go with your kit, had every intetion of until i seen this deal so thanks for all the help tho, appreciate it. :)

Are you breaking the car?!?!? :blink:

Oct 2, 2006
Well done Phil, cool to see your on the road to big turbo, will be a monster when it is done! :) Nice pics as always too.

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
Have been thinking about that Alex, any other issues with the kit you know of?

Thanks for that, sorry i didnt go with your kit, had every intetion of until i seen this deal so thanks for all the help tho, appreciate it. :)

Are you breaking the car?!?!? :blink:

Just the coating really. Darren should really have done it, but ran out of funds after RSfab charged him loads more than they quoted. There will be quite alot of stress on the mani without the rose jointed arm from the downpipe. Anyone have thoughts on fitting or not fitting the arm?

Was great on hoochs car once the supersize valve was fitted. Stopped the horrible surging issues. You could really do with a ported head with the setup as the standard head was really restricting the turbo and so was the standard inlet mani. (Sem anyone???)

I have decided to break mine now. As per the rules i will keep selling bits to PM's etc, so PM me if there is anything you may want? :)

No probs on the kit from BDM. I didnt think you wanted big power tho?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
problem with the supports is what direction are you bracing it from and too, given it will be expanding in all sorts of directions.
when i initially ran mine on my primary designs manifold, it turned into the brace was actually causing the stress, holding it up where it wanted to expand down and away..
i did away with mine and had no issues

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
nice 1 phil glad you bought it cant wait to see this machine in action means now you have to waste sorry spend more money on the car haha

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
lol. Nice one gary, wasting money sounds more like it.

I think ill be looking for a large port head to put valves and springs in in the next few months.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Just realised this has been in the motions of happening for about 3 years. Hope it goes well for you mate. You will soon have BT smile!

Iirc RS Fab said that the mani had to have the brace for them to warranty it. Not sure if that changed after all the times it had to go back.

Edit: It might have been that they wouldnt make it without the brace.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
lol. I know, i hate doing things on credit cards so ive been saving for ages for this. lol.

Yes i remember what they said about the brace as well.

What bill says does make sense tho, the expansion of those runners must be in so many directions that bracing it would not allow it to expand where it wants to.

Some sort of rubber hanger would be ideal but i doubt it would last lol.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Savings the best way to do it. Yeah I agree it will be expanding in all directions which the brace will hinder. Rubber hanger = nice mess to clean up! Dont know what warranty it had but it might not have one now as it was made a while ago anyway.

Id lose the bracket and get it coated like Alex said if I was you. If it cracks it cracks and if it does again I would get something else made as it clearly cant take the strain of what its built for. Really hoping it does hold up for you though mate. Looking forward to seeing it all go on.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Also what you going to do with your gearbox? It wont be happy. Mine was clipping into third abit already but it properly popped a big hole in the casing the day after my final mapping with Bill. Still drove it 20 miles home and to the garage though, it just wasnt happy but as a new box was needed anyway it wasnt exactly harming much.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I dont plan on running it flat out, more to reduce stress and strain on everything and get some usable power as im not ineterested in peak figures, probably more along the lines of 350-380 max, the box and diff was freshened up about 10k ago so that should last me a while but again, ill cross that bridge when i come to it.

I wont be revving it too hard for a while until i sort the head out.

I know its not using it to its full potential but at the moment its damage limitation i guess.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members