MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters

DG5

Jun 19, 2018
Just had a response back from my dealer in regards to a query regarding the spec changes.

According to them my car (build week 40) currently in transport to the port will a 6 speed box.
They did state as most already presumed, that my car will come without any of the copper changes as it has been built before week 42.

They advised that all changes including the 7 speed box will come after week 42.

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
Just had a response back from my dealer in regards to a query regarding the spec changes.

According to them my car (build week 40) currently in transport to the port will a 6 speed box.
They did state as most already presumed, that my car will come without any of the copper changes as it has been built before week 42.

They advised that all changes including the 7 speed box will come after week 42.

If that's the case and my BW39 gets a 6 speed I'll be a little annoyed with everyone else getting a 7 speed

Liam

Jul 6, 2018
Gloucester
If that's the case and my BW39 gets a 6 speed I'll be a little annoyed with everyone else getting a 7 speed
Personally, having ordered a Desire Red St 4drive, i’m rather grateful I have a confirmed BW40, I’d rather have the 6 speed without any of the copper. If I had any of the other colours I wouldn’t mind the changes too much and the 7speed is a bonus.

Am I right in thinking the 7speed is a ‘dry’ gearbox rather than the 6speed being a ‘wet’ gearbox (or vice versa), or have I just made that up??!

AlexOS

Heard this as well right at the beginning.

"The Cupra has also ditched the electronic sound symposer that normally augments engine noise in rortier MQB models. Standard brake discs will be 17in, but 18in Brembo units will be offered as an option."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...6bhp-cupra-ateca-suv-first-car-seat-sub-brand

It's the same engine, so it'll be down to WLTP, software and exhaust. The Ateca has a different exhaust.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I think the Leon Cupra will still have the sound augmented in the cabin, but the Ateca, being an SUV is more about comfort, so they’ve dropped it for that.. (hopefully)

Reactions: Sukhraj

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
Personally, having ordered a Desire Red St 4drive, i’m rather grateful I have a confirmed BW40, I’d rather have the 6 speed without any of the copper. If I had any of the other colours I wouldn’t mind the changes too much and the 7speed is a bonus.

Am I right in thinking the 7speed is a ‘dry’ gearbox rather than the 6speed being a ‘wet’ gearbox (or vice versa), or have I just made that up??!

I think the 7 speed in the Audi is a wet clutch based on what I've seen on their forums

Reactions: BipedalMale

BipedalMale

Jun 21, 2018
Way down west...

It will be a wet clutch version.

DQ381 or potentially the DQ500?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I think the Leon Cupra will still have the sound augmented in the cabin, but the Ateca, being an SUV is more about comfort, so they’ve dropped it for that.. (hopefully)
I originally believed so.
With the Ateca having a quad exhaust it has the possibility of having flaps like the golf and Audi models.

So it wouldn't be wise to compare the sound of these two models yet.

There's even a sound difference between both the 5dr and ST version

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexOS

AlexOS

I originally believed so.
With the Ateca having a quad exhaust it has the possibility of having flaps like the golf and Audi models.

So it wouldn't be wise to compare the sound of these too models yet.

There's even a sound difference between both the 5dr and ST version

Apparently the ST is quietened down for the comfort of the rear passengers... like I bought a 300ps 4WD car for comfort rather than FUN!! Lol

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
If anyone is interested to hear the difference between a 2017 M2 with no GPF vs the 2018 M2 Competition with GPF...it's going to make you weep a little. We're screwed lads...

Forget the number of engine cylinders involved here, it's going to be quieter and I fully suspect it'll have no overrun crackle and bangs and I very much doubt it'll have kept the crack on gear change too.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Again I know this ain't a Leon, S badge, or perhaps the same shade of red, but it doesn't look awful on this Ateca.
8f21d255d6699376df76a9ebb5ceecff.jpg

Matt-taylor

May 1, 2018

So a 290 instead of 300 with a 6 speed instead of 7 speed and standard badges instead of copper, no winter pack as standard (im guessing this one)

Its gonna be a right mash up

What happens when you try and insure it for the first time, they will probably say no car is coming up on the database

BipedalMale

Jun 21, 2018
Way down west...
^^^

It is going to be really interesting to compare what we actually get. I suspect until all the pre BW42 orders are completed we are going to get some strange combinations of spec.

Reactions: walshy

BipedalMale

Jun 21, 2018
Way down west...
^^^ It would appear I am getting an extra gear, the winter pack and a boat load of copper stuff...

I did pay extra for Full Link (stupidly), though I am not sure it is even worth complaining about!

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
One of the things I like about the Cupra are the pops and crackles from the exhaust on overrun as well at the crack you get on gearshift; with the GPF in place as well as the ECU modifications to suit WLTP, I doubt you'll get any of that anymore and it’ll sound like a whisper quiet diesel SE. Again, I'm not really happy with Seat as they changed the exhaust from the Cupra 280 to 290 for the better by removing a silencer just after the central resonator and changed the internal design for the rear silencer to make it louder – they also changed the ECU mapping to increase the overrun and gearshift noises. Now, they’ve changed the spec that we ordered and made it worse!! These interim Frankenstein build MY18 to MY19 Cupras are going to have a terrible residual value as they are now an anomaly – I’m so glad that’s not my worry! All those on PCP are going to have a surprise in 3 years time when there’s a shortfall in value…

Well done Seat…well done.

willda_beast

May 8, 2018
I've just had an update too.

My car is now in transit from the factory to port. This was confirmed build week 40 so it sounds like SEAT are keeping to their word with the build weeks.

For info this will be a 290 DSG hatch in magnetic grey with no options.

Still holding out for delivery at the end of October :dance:

Hopefully mine is on the same boat. Same spec ordered + build week given

Reactions: typical driver

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
Hopefully mine is on the same boat. Same spec ordered + build week given

Update on my car is that it's still in transit from the factory to the port, been in transit for over a week now. CS are emailing there support team to why it's taking so long with transport as they expected it to be on the ship by now.

Last edited:

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Update on my car is that it's still in transit from the factory to the port, been in transit for over a week now. CS are emailing there support team to why isn't taking so long with transport as they expected it to be on the ship by now.
If mine is anything to go by, it’s already in Barcelona but hasn’t been allocated a ship just yet. Pegasus Ace is the next to arrive so hopefully we’ll be on that one.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.