Leon FR CR 170 MPG claim?

wayneb2000

in the 40s or even 40 at 80 to 90 is exactly what i want not 30mpg i could live with that

I agree your figures seem a bit low, but I reckon your expectations are a little too high as well.

Why would you expect the same economy from a more powerful car? :confused:

And cruising at 80-90mph is going to use a hell of a lot more fuel than cruising at <70mph. It's diminishing returns as you travel faster due to the increasing drag... the faster you go, the harder it becomes for the car to move through the air until eventually you need all the car's power just to maintain the speed.
My little 1.6l car with ~100bhp car could easily do 100mph but reaching 200mph would require silly amounts of power (and fuel consumption) - much more than merely twice the power would be needed to travel twice the speed. It's an extreme example but the same aerodynamics are working at motorway speeds.
Reducing your cruising speed by 10-15mph will transform your economy figures. :)

dom_f

Mar 28, 2011
I would suggest that having a standard test across Europe ensures the manufacturer doesn't just put down what figures they feel like but exactly the figures measured by the standard test.

Indeed - however in my opinion (and not just mine!) the standard test is totally unrealistic. Have you actually looked at what they do in the test?

If I remember correctly they have 50 (yes FIFTY) seconds to accelerate to 62 mph. Do you know anyone who takes nearly a minute to accelerate to 60?

Dom

The tests are carried out by professional drivers on rolling roads at 20-30°C and consist of various steady-speeds and various accelerations/decelerations done in a set order and over set times.

It's true that they don't represent normal driving by most drivers - for one thing, cars drive up and down hills(!) - but they're more representative of normal driving than the previous testing regime. The biggest benefit of the tests to consumers is not that they give an exact figure for expected fuel consumption, but that they give a good idea of the *relative* consumption of different vehicles, to allow an informed choice to be made.
Of course the CO2 figures - determined using the same tests at the same time - are used to determine VED banding so that does have a direct effect on cost of ownership. But road tax is a very small part of the overall cost of owning and running a car. Depreciation, insurance, maintenance and fuel (and VAT on the fuel) all dwarf the cost of road tax for many drivers.

There's more info on the testing method on page 123 of this PDF (from the government):

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/additional/may2010/VCA-Booklet-text-May-2010.pdf

It's often possible to reach the official consumption figures, but it takes some special driving and a bit of chance (as there are loads of variables affecting fuel consumption).

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
just to offer my figures....almost 7k miles on the cr170 Fr DSG and i return 48-52 mpg cruising at around 70mph.
sadly i moved jobs to near home (5 mile journey) and i get an average on the display of 35mpg and proper calc's on the fuel used/miles covered works out at around 35mpg also...

so basically i dont hang around driving locally and i return mid 30's and on a steady run its 48-52mpg....im happy enough with that.

wayneb2000

affording to afford one isnt the issue its getting 30mpg on the motorway doing 80 to 90 thats my problem it cant be right anyway int going in tomorrow to see what they can find is wrong

I think these engines do take ages to reach their peak economy-wise... my Ecomotive is still improving after almost 20k miles. It'll be having its second service next week so I'll be interested to see whether mpg improves or not afterwards.

wayneb2000

took it to the dealer today,on the way i filled it up again and worked it out i got 36.8 mpg to the last tank and i would say i drove it pretty steady.they checked it all out and said nothing was wrong with it like i expected them too.i then drove mine on a run when i returned it had returned 35mpg i then took one of forecourt same car on same run and it returned exactly the same.now i know theres nothing wrong with it they just shocking on fuel consumption nothing like my golf
NO IDEA WHY THIS IS

fastismycopilot

I've found in almost every car I've owned the standard is approx 83% of the Combined Figure quoted in the official figures. This si averaged out over a minimum of 12,000 miles per car, 50,000 in the Edition 30. Within 1% +/- every time.

The FR CR170 DSG is quoted as 50.9 I believe, so I'm expecting around 42.2. Anything more is a bonus.

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Easily manage 50mpg on my Revo'd 9000 mile manual 2010 plate FR CR, even more on a decent straight run. Managed an impressive 570 miles (averaging 70-85mph) on a recent trip to Brussells to the Heaven on Wheels car show the other week before the diesel light came on.

Andy

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
took it to the dealer today,on the way i filled it up again and worked it out i got 36.8 mpg to the last tank and i would say i drove it pretty steady.they checked it all out and said nothing was wrong with it like i expected them too.i then drove mine on a run when i returned it had returned 35mpg i then took one of forecourt same car on same run and it returned exactly the same.now i know theres nothing wrong with it they just shocking on fuel consumption nothing like my golf
NO IDEA WHY THIS IS

Different Turbo, different injectors etc more fuelling.....

wayneb2000

filled tank 3 times now ave 38mpg 36mpg 32mpg driving steady.no idea how anyone gets mid 40s

wayneb2000

tried that mate they said nothing wrong with it,im going to book it in at another seat dealer that didnt sell it me to get another opinion.

richandbecks

SOON CANDY WHITE FR TDI..
Jun 10, 2011
havant area...
new cr fr tdi with about 600miles on clock im getting between 49-51 mpg on motorway driving between 60-70mph max go over the 70mph and it drops!!

around town im getting 46-48 mpg!!...and thats driving lke a granny..:(

i dread to think it would be if i put my foot down for a couple of mins at a time....[:@]:censored:........

its only good if ur a slow mother****er!!!!!!!!!1

and i dont think its gonna improve because ive got to bed my engine in...:(

tony323ci

Lovin' it
May 15, 2011
Nottingham
mines now on 8000 miles with a lot of motorway driving and I don't hang around usually around 75-80 most of the time my combined average is 48.5 MPG

Primus84

I wouldn't say the PD FR is poor on fuel, we average between 48-50mpg normally and that's a morning and evening commute with some good stretches of national speed limit but then some congestion through the city. On a long run being very careful I've averaged 57.5mpg.

It currently has about 40k miles on the clock

Last edited by a moderator:

richandbecks

SOON CANDY WHITE FR TDI..
Jun 10, 2011
havant area...
new cr fr tdi with about 600miles on clock im getting between 49-51 mpg on motorway driving between 60-70mph max go over the 70mph and it drops!!

around town im getting 46-48 mpg!!...and thats driving lke a granny..:(

i dread to think it would be if i put my foot down for a couple of mins at a time....[:@]:censored:........

its only good if ur a slow mother****er!!!!!!!!!1

and i dont think its gonna improve because ive got to bed my engine in...:(

just went out and some **** in a beamer thought he was the dogs bollocks in 3rd launch straight past him **** me its quick.....speed limit off course.....but the mpg went from 47 to 37mpg.........see what i mean about driving like a granny..:think:.and its was only for a split second....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members