• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here

Help with a loud rattle

Gman13

Feb 2, 2023
Hi all,

Have the sam issue, feels like sound similar to original post, been to dealer 3 times, they’ve decided to replace shock absorber bearings struds, on the l left side, nothing changed.

Hi,

video sound lot like mine problem which I resolved yesterday after 4 months of trying and few dealership visits.

Although sound looks like it is from shock absorbed (I though the same. Also left side) in my case it wasn't. After lots of tests I found that sound comes as result of hood micro movements while driving.
If you look at picture (i found picture on internet so please ignore red arrows) issue was in one of this metals marked with yellow color. To be more precise this side of metal marked with two yellow arrows was making click sound when pressed hard. I screwed up metal on places marked with green color and never heard sound after that.

Attachments

• hood.png
    hood.png
    596.8 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: togglenation
Apr 12, 2024
Hi,

video sound lot like mine problem which I resolved yesterday after 4 months of trying and few dealership visits.

Although sound looks like it is from shock absorbed (I though the same. Also left side) in my case it wasn't. After lots of tests I found that sound comes as result of hood micro movements while driving.
If you look at picture (i found picture on internet so please ignore red arrows) issue was in one of this metals marked with yellow color. To be more precise this side of metal marked with two yellow arrows was making click sound when pressed hard. I screwed up metal on places marked with green color and never heard sound after that.
Sure, here's the revised version:

---

Thanks so much. I’ve experimented with the bonnet hinges a lot, tightened them to the max, and added some insulation. I even cut a Red Bull can and put a thin “seal” around the other part of the bonnet hinge that was making the rattling sound. Unfortunately didn’t help me at all. Rattling sound is persistent, and the worst thing it’s irregular, so you need to drive a specific conditions to get this noise.

May I ask, did you tighten it all the way?

Apr 12, 2024
1723106273407.jpeg

1723106436061.png

Hi, I suggest inspecting and tightening at least these four bolts as a bare minimum.

Ideally, tighten all bolts and connections that are reachable.

And let us know the results)))

Aug 24, 2024
Sure, here's the revised version:

---

Thanks so much. I’ve experimented with the bonnet hinges a lot, tightened them to the max, and added some insulation. I even cut a Red Bull can and put a thin “seal” around the other part of the bonnet hinge that was making the rattling sound. Unfortunately didn’t help me at all. Rattling sound is persistent, and the worst thing it’s irregular, so you need to drive a specific conditions to get this noise.

May I ask, did you tighten it all the way?
and in what conditions did you hear this noise?

Reactions: togglenation
Apr 12, 2024
and in what conditions did you hear this noise?
Mostly when I was going up or down on uneven roads like the one in the video:

P.S. The rattle issue was fixed, and it wasn’t the bonnet. The issue was caused by a poorly tightened bolt on the subframe. I tightened it, and now everything works just fine (no rattle noise at all).

Hope this helps.

Aug 7, 2024
Additional info that I also tightened the (green) bolts as it was proposed by Gman13 above, unfortunately does not helped.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise