ESP Button Popped Out!

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I came back to my car to find the ESP button sitting on the passenger seat!
It was very warm in the car, but heat is the only thing i can think of that caused it to happen. :confused:

I thought it would simply 'push' or clip back into place, but it's proving more tricky than that. It's one of those 'how much pressure' type jobs that require just the right amount to apply without breaking any of the plastic parts.

Has this happened to anyone else?

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
It hasnt happened to me, but ive seen it 'pop up' (haha) a few times on the forum.

They normally pop out if they break. The reason you cant get it back in could be because its now misshaped.

Maybe try the stealers to see how much a new one is?

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Yeh mine did it, found it lying on back seat one morning, hadnt been pressing it or anything, it needed a new switch from dealers, i got it done under warranty. You can put the switch back in but it wont stay in, especially if you vacume the car out, the switch dissapears into the vacume.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I just went to Marshall's in Cambridge and spoke to a bloke there who said the 2 plastic bits (on the side) had broken or worn, then it becomes loose and the spring will catapult it out.

Yours landed on the back seat GREY? That would've been worth watching! :D

GREY 225

Jim R
Oct 15, 2006
Yeh i went to car one morning and saw it lying there, i thought what the hell is that doing there, then i realised what it was, mine was only a year old when it broke.

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I will try to put it back, but i think its had it to be honest.

£25 for a new one! IT'S ONLY A BUTTON! [:@]

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
But you have to change the whole unit not just the button
Had this with my petrol cap release which popped out at 5am on the way to work nearly causing a heart attack
Had it replaced under warranty and they explained you need the whole unit, even though it just damaged lugs on the button

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
If its the whole unit then £25 does seem more reasonable.
It's just what i dont need when the car needs a service and a new cat converter!
All these things are happening as i get closer to selling it!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members