Arm rest for a R

g1ose

Aug 25, 2004
Dirty Saawf
i have searched but everything comes up about a year old

i seen that people are getting them fitted from seat for about £150 ish well i phoned my local and they said £123 for the arm rest then £299 for fitting WHAT???
is this for real 5 hours to cut a bit of plastic out and screwing some holes in

i have seen a fitting guide but with no words just pics and its hard to see how easy it is to do
i can see you have to cut the plastic hole out but do you need to drill for the screw points or are they there?
also how long does it really take to do if i was to do it
and how much space is there in the compartment?

if any one knows where i can get this fitted cheaper more like 150 please let me no im from south london way but dont mind travelling a bit to get it done

cheers

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
mate as long as u have the right bolts from seat it is easy to fit and im useless at that stuff.

i will be ordering the correct bolts today and fitting it asap when they arrive i will takes loads of pics so u can see how to do it if it will help? Already cut the whole.

g1ose

Aug 25, 2004
Dirty Saawf
so the holes ae there for the screws to go in?
also was it easy to cut the hole? what you use and how long did it take?
i really want this now but not £300 really more like £150 really lol
cheers

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
You have to cut out the full piece of plastic including the sloped sides just leaving a slight lip.

First I cut out the bottom part using the curves in the ABS as the guide, this meant I could keep the cut clean.

Once I had cut the bottom part off I cut diagonally on each of the four corners up to where the lip would be, then I slowly cut off each bit till the whole look right.

The holes for the bolts are there already, there are 3 fixings.

What u need for the dealers is 2 x bolts with captive nuts bit (get them from Audi unless u get the whole armrest from seat in which case it should come with everything).

The 3rd bolt is very odd it is like to nuts welded together this is due to the third let using one of the handbrake bolts, u take off the existing nut screw on the double spacer nut and then bolt the bracket for the armrest to the spacer nut its called an adapter or something like that.

Then all u do is bolt I down and slot on and tighten the armrest

Job done

g1ose

Aug 25, 2004
Dirty Saawf
sweet so not too much hard work
did u cut it through the gap for the ciggy for the rear or take the whole plastic cover of and do it that way
sorry for all the Q's but as there arnt any pics or guides i need to have this in my head right before i cut some importnant bits of my new car up lol
if you have pics of the bit you cut or anything can you post them so i can understand a bit more
cheers matey

ALEX**

WTF
Feb 26, 2004
south-East
Visit site
my bolts arrive thur or fri will take pics for u then mate if thats ok? all will be revealed.

i took the rear ashtray out and cut from the top down ie did not cut from underneath the tunnel console

g1ose

Aug 25, 2004
Dirty Saawf
mate thats spot on thanks thats what i needed make so much sense now and i take it by the pic u used a stanley to cut it
i think ill go ahead and order it now then ill wait for your finished picture
cheers again mate thats what i needed!!

wysiwyg

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2004
Alex................aint deleting, everytime I log out of mozilla the last message deletes by default.............good luck with your armrest, wouldn't be without it meself!!!

g1ose

Aug 25, 2004
Dirty Saawf
that would be great with pics as some of it its hard to tell whats going on
i saw that before but as it has no words i can only guess whats happening in some pics and with a new motor worth this much guessing just aint good nuff
cheers for the link though

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Central Armrest - a word of warning

I had a central armrest installed on my Cupra. In operation it was quite good and I would say it improved the driving position for me, though it did inhibit the use of the handbrake somewhat.

However I was recently involved in an accident in which the car rolled and was written off. The most serious injuries I recieved - left side damage to ribs abdomen and leg - were directly due to my contact with the central armrest as the car rolled over.

The arm rest fixture is rigid, it will not collapse on impact and thus has the potential to do you a deal of damage should misfortune strike - I`ve still got the bruises to prove it!! - so be warned!

CupraBBD

My precious
Aug 18, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Songman said:
I had a central armrest installed on my Cupra. In operation it was quite good and I would say it improved the driving position for me, though it did inhibit the use of the handbrake somewhat.

However I was recently involved in an accident in which the car rolled and was written off. The most serious injuries I recieved - left side damage to ribs abdomen and leg - were directly due to my contact with the central armrest as the car rolled over.

The arm rest fixture is rigid, it will not collapse on impact and thus has the potential to do you a deal of damage should misfortune strike - I`ve still got the bruises to prove it!! - so be warned!

Sorry to here about it mate, hope your feeling better, you got a new motor yet ? :rolleyes:

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
looks like another one joins the armrest club.

Alex can you take a picture of all the extra nuts and bolts and that special bolt for the handbrake as that website does not mention it and I'm sure people would find it usefull. I was in such a rush to fit mine I forgot.

Songman

Aug 10, 2003
Ayrshire
Visit site
Keeping the Faith

Sure thing! - apart with the bruises, the accident left me with a profound regard for Leon structural integrity - so I bought a 225`R` - without central arm rest!!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Guys who want an armrest - take note:

Check out ebay - few on there at the moment. Brand new. I am in no way recommending these, as I have never had experience with the seller/goods etc. Just noticed it and thought it MAY be of use.

Apparently not the right armrests, so link removed!

HTH

Last edited: