Anyone here on Toyo, Eagle F1's or Falken tires

gazjones

camskill for my size toyo is 60.30 so set of 2 12.60 delivered, will be ordering shortly killed my conti's off today in work car park, lots of blue smoke lol

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
F1s are good in the warm. In the cold/winter they are crap. I have F1s on the front of my Ibiza. I have Falkens on the back of my BMW and they seem pretty good (compared with the Pirelli PZero neros that were on there previously).

In the snow F1's are very poor compared to anything with a different tread style too!

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
ive decided on my plan of action.

F1 gds3's are the rave, but i have no 'reasonable' tyres to compare them to. i am going to get the yokohama pravada II fitted as recommended from the shop i went to today, which should give me a good benchmark, i'll either think damn, these are pants, needs F1's"

or will think "yeah these are alrite!"

the shop i went to today said they are about to release GDS4's. these dont have the V tread, they have tread which is similar to the yokohama's he showed me.

so maybe a new next design....

edit-

ParadaSpec-2.jpg

Last edited:

Poverty

ive decided on my plan of action.

F1 gds3's are the rave, but i have no 'reasonable' tyres to compare them to. i am going to get the yokohama pravada II fitted as recommended from the shop i went to today, which should give me a good benchmark, i'll either think damn, these are pants, needs F1's"

or will think "yeah these are alrite!"

the shop i went to today said they are about to release GDS4's. these dont have the V tread, they have tread which is similar to the yokohama's he showed me.

so maybe a new next design....

Yeah people are moaning that the about to be released GDS4's dont look as good as the GDS3's. Doesnt matter to me as long as they are good.

Wonder how the new F1's will improve over the current ones!

How much are the yokohamas?

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
the yoko's quote i got was £700

nexen he quoted me as £650

F1's quote was £775

im sure i could get cheaper if i was a pro, but I'm not and i like the idea of having a pro alter/change them if i need, plus i can get stiffer & 30mm lower for £180 in 3 months from the same place :)

this was for 4x 17/40/215 alloys i mentioned in my other thread

Baz1

Dec 6, 2004
Leicester
12000 miles on front tyres? damn thats bad!!

My FR came with Bridstone Turanza tyres all round and I thought they weer pretty decent in the dry and in the wet.... and I done 23000miles on the fronts before I had to change them a month ago!! Now thats good.

Now got some pirelli rebrands called stunners!! In the dry, excellent but utter poo in the wet, I wanna get rid of them and get some better tyres so this thread is interesting.. cheers ;)

Still dont know wot to get tho!! Im a driving instructor so need them to last a good while (23k miles would be great) but also want grip esp in the wet. The Goodyear GSD3 sound a good option??

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
12000 miles on front tyres? damn thats bad!!
The Toyos are a soft compound tyre, which is why they're grippy. It's a sad truth that "grippy" and "long-lasting" are not usually properties that go together in a tyre - they're pretty much mutually exclusive.

Also, as someone else pointed out, 12k miles from Toyos on the front is really not bad going, when you consider that my car is a remapped PD130. I've heard of people getting less mileage out of them!

FWD car + enthusiastic driver + very torquey engine = fast wearing tyres!

I slightly hesitate to recommend the F1 GSD3 for you as an instructor, not because they're bad tyres (which they certainly aren't), but because they are pretty expensive when you take into account the purchase price and the wear rate. My sister is an instructor, and I know that her margins are quite tight so there's no way she'd buy them. It's also doubtful whether learners push the car to the point where you need a high performance tyre like the F1 GSD3 or Toyo.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well on camskill the prices are as follows for 16's as fit on my car:

Falken FK452: £55 each
Toyo T1-R Proxes : £53 each
Goodyear GSD3 Eagle F1's: £57 each

So not too sure if the guy is correct, or maybe he is for some of the bigger diameter alloys. Check camskill out.

and the performance of those tyres exactly follows their pricing, apart from falken 452's probably being on parr on T1-R's - both far less grippy than gsd3's

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
the yoko's quote i got was £700

nexen he quoted me as £650

F1's quote was £775

this was for 4x 17/40/215 alloys i mentioned in my other thread

How much?:-o

If your in Basingstoke I assume you know about Micheldever Tyres? 01962 774437

Just phoned them for you... 4 x 215/40 R17 GSD3's fitted are £367.63 thay are in stock and they look after your wheels while they are changing them too

Just transfer the extra 400 odd quid to my bank account if you like;)

Last edited:

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
Black, that price included the BK333 wheels, there's a pic of them in my 'what do you reckon' thread :)

im getting wheels+tyres x4 all in one go!

HarveyGTI

and the performance of those tyres exactly follows their pricing, apart from falken 452's probably being on parr on T1-R's - both far less grippy than gsd3's

for the price of Toyo's I think they offer very good "road" quality for handling, could last a little bit longer, but certainly do the job for a fast road going car, and grip well when you put your foot down

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
had flaken ones previosuly and laster about 14k i think it was, good to start with but move to toyo t1-rs and they are so much better

i suffered quite a bit with tracking with the falkens due to the grove down the centre of the tyre, no more with the toyo's:D

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
I pretty much live By F1's now. You never know when you need to pull up quick, and that extra couple of metres due to poorer tyres may make the difference...

Plus theyre fairly good on track.

Poverty

Really? Thought that the F1's and toyos are meant to be a enthusiasts favourite and near enough with similiar performance! How do they compare in the wet?

Edit:

Can someone explain to me what tracking is!

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
i got toyo prozies on mine and ill be gettin another set when these decide to die... i had a mate that got me mine for £35 a tyre (fitted) :D they are the best i have had in the wet and pretty good in the dry, i have had no problems with this tyre at all and i dont go slow in my 1.4.... (my gf says i use the engine a little to much) oh well :D

kris_tdi

Mar 26, 2007
i have used toyo's before, very grippy but they didn't last very long, think it was about 12k at the very most (ie a year for the mileage i was doing)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise