Front Shock Absorbers

Jan 7, 2024
Hello,
I tried looking for an already created thread about this topic but couldn’t find one so hope it’s ok creating one.

So just had my Leon serviced and they advised me to renew the front shocks.

Now up till recently I’ve really been thinking about working on my own car instead of taking it to garages to save money and also to give myself a little hobby.

As of yet I’ve got no experience on working on a car but after looking at one or two how to do videos I’m feeling a little bit more confident.

The issue at the moment is that I have no tools at all so I we need to spend some money buying some so that would be a cost in it’s self unfortunately as I’m starting off.

While looking at the shocks I need (Monroe shocks)
Do I need electronic ones or standard ones, the price division huge!
Also if I do need the electronic shocks is it just unplugging a sensor or is there more too it.

I do apologise in advance for the lack of knowledge but got to start somewhere I guess.

Thank you in advance, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Also if I do need the electronic shocks is it just unplugging a sensor or is there more too it.

If your car does not have DCC, you can't use the electronic ones.

If it does, however, that means it already has electronic ones, but you can decide to replace them with the standard ones, along with a DCC cancellation kit.

Sent from my 23113RKC6G using Tapatalk

Reactions: H Rafiq

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Autodoc sells the OEM Monroe shocks at a very good price. I’ve had em n fitted em to my Leon Cupra.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hello,
I tried looking for an already created thread about this topic but couldn’t find one so hope it’s ok creating one.

So just had my Leon serviced and they advised me to renew the front shocks.

Now up till recently I’ve really been thinking about working on my own car instead of taking it to garages to save money and also to give myself a little hobby.

As of yet I’ve got no experience on working on a car but after looking at one or two how to do videos I’m feeling a little bit more confident.

The issue at the moment is that I have no tools at all so I we need to spend some money buying some so that would be a cost in it’s self unfortunately as I’m starting off.

While looking at the shocks I need (Monroe shocks)

I do apologise in advance for the lack of knowledge but got to start somewhere I guess.

Thank you in advance, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have recently done my front shocks - and I found it quite a tough job and I would say i'm a competent DIYer, being an engineer, having built my own car and done several engine rebuilds, head gaskets and timing belts.
You need a spring compressor - which is quite an expensive tool.
If you have no experience or tools, for front shocks I would definitely say leave it with a garage - springs on struts can be dangerous!
Rear shocks are much more manageable.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members