• Formentor members, we are testing a new feature requiring selection of a model year when posting - more info here

Cracked rear lights under warranty?

barqqsanu

Sep 9, 2021
Hi guys! I just noticed that the light strip on the back of the car has 2 cracks, one on each side. I'm not aware of any mechanical damage on them. Can it be a manufacturing issue? Did you notice this on your cars? Is it covered under warranty?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220619_143409.jpg
    20220619_143409.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 526
  • 20220619_143425.jpg
    20220619_143425.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 494

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It's on both lights in the same place - I'd say the light cluster has been over-tightened at the factory.

Reactions: Compo1

John Wick

May 12, 2022
Keep us updated if you visit the dealership, mine is the same on the nearside location.

Widil

Jul 5, 2021
In France, dealership refused to take it under warranty until the problem was made public in an auto/moto magazine.
it’s now being dealt with under warranty

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
This seems to be a seat issue. The mk3.5 Leon Cupra had issues with cracked upper brake lights. Some got them replaced under warranty, but most didnt.

AntoniosL

Sep 30, 2021
Indeed, they just refused me too. Now I'm taking legal action against them.
Cupra mate, I feel for you but would also need to warn you of an uphill battle with uncertain outcome. If you go Legal, then, they would ask you how long you had the car and when you noticed the cracks (the longer the period or, if you are not the 1st owner, the less your chances of success). They would also send an expert inspector to assess the situation. If the inspector finds scratches on your lights or in the surrounding lights area, then your probability of winning would be greatly diminished. Over tightening is a week argument as torque power tools are being used at the factory (at least this is what they will argue). Maybe you need to assess what is the legal bill you will be called upon to pay against the cost of replacing your tail lights. Or, try and negotiate with them once again if you reckon you may have a chance. Wish you the best of luck whatever course of action you decide to take.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Might be an idea for the owners to back off the torque on the bolts a little if there is access, however on the Leon that had this issue there was no bolts, the unit was clipped in, well away from the lens itself.

I tried having mine replaced under warranty, even used evidence from this site (others having the same issue), but it was a no go, Seat wouldn't do it. They offered 10% off fitting a new part, but that's it. I just bought one myself and did it, it was the cheapest option.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Seems like this maybe an issue across the range. Mine's just a year old now and I've not seen this so far. I think I'll be taking photos in the morning as my car's outside all the time. Maybe a heat thing? Though perhaps not in the UK :ROFLMAO:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Cracking plastic is an issue SEAT have.

On my brand new mk3 leon when i got it after a year the clear plastic on the air con buttons cracked like this and the binnacle cracked in two 😵💫😵

tomek_olo

Cupra Leon ST VZ 2.0 245 DNPA DQ381
Jan 28, 2022
Just noticed similar cracks on my Leon Mk4. Car was produced in May, collected beginning of June.

AirBM

Jul 20, 2020
Bump, this exact same issue happened to my mate. He thought somebody had hit him so had Seat replace at his cost in May 2022. Now it's happened AGAIN with the new unit, water is now in the cluster. Reverse and both night time lights are now broken.

Seat are aware and they have said they need the car to investigate. This is a Lease car but i'm worried they are brushing this under the carpet and strong arming everyone.

tomek_olo

Jan 28, 2022
Mine did not get worse for the last 4 months. While visiting my local dealership for an oil change I reported the problem. The response from polish importer is that it's caused by the wrong shampoo used for washing the car. xD Dealer documented the stuff and advised to observe if it's progressing.

I'm really conservative with washing my car and don't use any agressive chemicals.

While waiting for my car I checked all the available Cupras on the parking lot and spotted that demo Born is also starting to crack.

Until I don't get water into mine unit I can live with that - it's barely visible. But if it gets worse I'll go full attack.

Sep 4, 2024
Help! I have a year old Cupra Leon with two cracks in the rear indicator cover. The Warranty company say its an impact which I know full well it isn't as no mark on my bumper and no compression mark at the top. I see others have had this problem...do I go legal?

Cainy1989

Jan 11, 2019
What I have noticed with my formentor when closing the boot its so easy to grab the light bar by mistake if you're not using the handle on the inside, betting that's how half of these start off

Sep 4, 2024
How did you get on with this?

What I have noticed with my formentor when closing the boot its so easy to grab the light bar by mistake if you're not using the handle on the inside, betting that's how half of these start off
I don't have this with my Cupra model as there is a ledge on the top of the boot lid for closing by hand. I only noticed this 'crack' after looking when my indicators were going really fast after a jet wash. I could see a crack in two places and condensation obviously shorting the lights. Its a year old so Im somewhat annoyed after a string of other issues, this is the final straw.

tomek_olo

Jan 28, 2022
I never manually closed the boot as it is electric in my car. Still have cracks...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.