what did you and your mk3 leon do today

Domobaby

Feb 4, 2024
Took my 190 ST in for a remap, dsg service and interim service tofay

Turns out the thermostat housing was cracked and leaking.

came away with a total £1,100 and no remap đŸ˜‚

I did suspect it as coolant was dropping

**Plus came back to these lovely scratches on my car after a work trip

Attachments

• IMG_7530.jpeg
    IMG_7530.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 108

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
Nothing really spectacular, but an brilliantly satisfying outcome of a job I've been meaning to do for months - sorting out an incredibly annoying buzz at certain engine revs somewhere behind the dash clocks. Turned out it was the plastic heater pipe to the outer vent squeaking with the tiniest amount of movement. A couple of cable ties later, and all is quiet. Also cable tied the USB cable running up the passenger side A pillar from the USB hub I installed by the fuse box behind the glovebox to the front dash cam. Surprising how glaringly quiet it actually is now!:LOL:

Been trying to find a buzz behind my dash too, which is driving me wild - had a look after seeing your post and saw that I can pop the entire vent and trim panel out really easily; did you do that to get access?

Cheers,

Nick

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Went for an aircon regas, turns out there's gas in the system but the compressor isn't kicking in. Think this might get expensive.

2 weeks before a long journey isn't ideal, windows down for 1100 miles will be fun

Bluepower

May 1, 2016
Went for an aircon regas, turns out there's gas in the system but the compressor isn't kicking in. Think this might get expensive.

2 weeks before a long journey isn't ideal, windows down for 1100 miles will be fun
IF you scan with VCDS, any aircon related faults? There is a pressure switch in the compressor, which is known to go bad, you might want to check that out before getting a full new compressor

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Been trying to find a buzz behind my dash too, which is driving me wild - had a look after seeing your post and saw that I can pop the entire vent and trim panel out really easily; did you do that to get access?

Cheers,

Nick
Pull off the black surround of the dashclocks (pulls straight out), take off the end panel of the dash and push the vent from behind, simple job to come out. Open the storage compartment, squeeze together to open full and move the whole thing to the left to remove. You've now got access from the front and the side, useful to get both hands in to fasten cable ties! Cable tie any loose wiring, and also pack double sided sticky foam in the gaps left and right where the clocks sit in the dash. Also check wiring to the OBD diagnostic plug isnt actually rattling in the plug itself, mine was. Let us know how it goes

BTW I've since taken the door card off the drivers door and identified another slight rattle - that turned out to be the wiring going up to the door mirror

Reactions: Cubbington

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
Pull off the black surround of the dashclocks (pulls straight out), take off the end panel of the dash and push the vent from behind, simple job to come out. Open the storage compartment, squeeze together to open full and move the whole thing to the left to remove. You've now got access from the front and the side, useful to get both hands in to fasten cable ties! Cable tie any loose wiring, and also pack double sided sticky foam in the gaps left and right where the clocks sit in the dash. Also check wiring to the OBD diagnostic plug isnt actually rattling in the plug itself, mine was. Let us know how it goes

BTW I've since taken the door card off the drivers door and identified another slight rattle - that turned out to be the wiring going up to the door mirror
That’s really helpful, thanks buddy!

Will have a look this afternoon…I’ve got a load of Dodomat to do the doors when I have some proper time - buzzes and rattles do my head in đŸ¤ª

Cheers,

Nick

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

grabania

Aug 14, 2022
Gdansk, Poland
grabania.pl
Today I've installed gas struts for the hood. I've ordered them on AliExpress and I've received them within 3 days - probably were sent from the warehouse in Poland.

Installation was pretty straightforward, but I would say that it should be done by two people. To install hood brackets you need to unscrew both bolts on each side and the hood is going to be loose, so it might be misaligned after installation. Also gas struts was hitting the seal so I have to trim it a bit. Other than that I am very pleased with the results :)

Here is the link if someone is interested: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DdmZkDz

22SIq1S.jpeg

1EQ96Nr.jpeg
OTAqOPp.jpeg
gQhbwj2.jpeg

Last edited:

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Celebrating 5 years of ownership today.
In those 5 years it's been pretty solid, minus a few things.
This is what I've had to spend on(some regular maintenance, some not)

Replaced all discs and pads once, new calipers on rear.
Full set of tyres twice.
New turbo(self inflicted)
Blend door actuator(infamous clicking)
New sump(corroded)
4x Coil packs(bonded to head and couldn't remove without breaking)

Sat on 87k right now, got it on 34k and I've averaged 44.3mpg in that time.
Very happy with how it's been over these 5 years and will be sad to see it go next year.

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
Celebrating 5 years of ownership today.
In those 5 years it's been pretty solid, minus a few things.
This is what I've had to spend on(some regular maintenance, some not)

Replaced all discs and pads once, new calipers on rear.
Full set of tyres twice.
New turbo(self inflicted)
Blend door actuator(infamous clicking)
New sump(corroded)
4x Coil packs(bonded to head and couldn't remove without breaking)

Sat on 87k right now, got it on 34k and I've averaged 44.3mpg in that time.
Very happy with how it's been over these 5 years and will be sad to see it go next year.
Out of interest how did you blown your turbo?

The-Cupra

Mar 6, 2024
Had it mapped and needed a big air intake and didn't fit it for a few months, didn't take long once at 5k rpm for it to pop

Been 2 years since and with the intake fitted it's been fine
Ah i see so it was an off the shelf map that required a turbo elbow and silicone hose on the intake W/ the filter etc?

But you never put them on so it was spooling turbo too much or something along those lines?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Ah i see so it was an off the shelf map that required a turbo elbow and silicone hose on the intake W/ the filter etc?

But you never put them on so it was spooling turbo too much or something along those lines?
Off the shelf, but made for the modifications the car has. It's very much on the limit, but I rarely drive hard just want the extra power for when I need it.

Ye too much boost and not enough air flow very lucky to still have an engine.

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK

Sorted - found a couple of things buzzing!

First was the air vent duct, the metal push-fit washers had worked themselves loose, so put a strip of trim tape over the tab/hole to make a tight fit then refitted the washers...

…which uncovered another buzz, which I discovered was one of the wiring harnesses going into the digital dash. Used some thick squishy foam to pack the area out, and quiet as a mouse...

…which uncovered another buzz, which was the wiring to the dash cam rattling against the back of the glovebox, so I cut the positive wire shorter, put some sticky back foam tape around the piggyback connector (that was loose), tidied up the negative cable, put some foam sticky tape where it was close to touching parts of the car, added some sticky back cable-tie mounting plates to dress the wires, et voila, quiet!

Thanks again for your help @LeylandVCDS as I wouldn't have thought to look at the vent for the noise!

On a different note, I also wanted to fit the Osram Dynamic indicators, however after Amazon sending Audi A3 lights twice, then a counterfeit set of random lights in the Leon box, followed by a third set of Audi A3 lights, I’ve given up for the time being!

Last edited:
Reactions: LeylandVCDS

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Another great day out on the track (this time the sun was out all day)

Managed to get a lot more data for my OBD11 Live Data ranges project (so I can see how various attributes change over time), some examples and I will share the spreadsheet when I have completed with Control Unit 01

Exhaust Temperature was between 355.6 degree C and 876.3 when outside temp was between 20 and 22 but over several different track days my range is 320 to 880 currently.

Coolant temperature at engine outlet (Volts) not sure i understand this one in that is shows volts not degree but hopefully somebody can explain.
Range was 0.837 to 1.119

i would also appreciate if anybody could advise what values I can use to see state of fuel injectors I have seen on the web the range is between -5 and 5 against Short and Long Term fuel trim but on OBD11 I can only find Long Term Fuel trim bank 1 at idle.
UPDATE:
From what i have read so far STFT and LTFT are replaced with
Short term adaptation of mixture formation bank 1
Long term adaptation of mixture formation bank 1

Corner.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSwede and Mo_86

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Sorted - found a couple of things buzzing!

First was the air vent duct, the metal push-fit washers had worked themselves loose, so put a strip of trim tape over the tab/hole to make a tight fit then refitted the washers...

…which uncovered another buzz, which I discovered was one of the wiring harnesses going into the digital dash. Used some thick squishy foam to pack the area out, and quiet as a mouse...

…which uncovered another buzz, which was the wiring to the dash cam rattling against the back of the glovebox, so I cut the positive wire shorter, put some sticky back foam tape around the piggyback connector (that was loose), tidied up the negative cable, put some foam sticky tape where it was close to touching parts of the car, added some sticky back cable-tie mounting plates to dress the wires, et voila, quiet!

Thanks again for your help @LeylandVCDS as I wouldn't have thought to look at the vent for the noise!

On a different note, I also wanted to fit the Osram Dynamic indicators, however after Amazon sending Audi A3 lights twice, then a counterfeit set of random lights in the Leon box, followed by a third set of Audi A3 lights, I’ve given up for the time being!
I've got the AliExpress dynamic indicators in mine. Had them in this Leon for the last 12 months, and the same set in my previous Leon for nearly 3 years. Still working great, and fit spot on

Reactions: Cubbington

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Okay it was a couple of days ago, but I put a set of GY Eagle F1 Assy 6s on, so far so good and they've got a decent rim protector lip on them too. I had a mix of PS4Ss on the front and the OE Bridgestones on the rear previously and they were all getting close to the wear bars. Also wanted to get them done ahead of the MOT on Monday there (straight pass, noice).

I also tried out the load lugging capacity by bringing 10 slate slabs home from a mate in Aberdeen (~60 miles), we reckoned it was about 350+kg in total - she was a tad low and the pic doesn't quite capture it!

AjxM7zD6.jpg

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
Okay it was a couple of days ago, but I put a set of GY Eagle F1 Assy 6s on, so far so good and they've got a decent rim protector lip on them too. I had a mix of PS4Ss on the front and the OE Bridgestones on the rear previously and they were all getting close to the wear bars. Also wanted to get them done ahead of the MOT on Monday there (straight pass, noice).

I also tried out the load lugging capacity by bringing 10 slate slabs home from a mate in Aberdeen (~60 miles), we reckoned it was about 350+kg in total - she was a tad low and the pic doesn't quite capture it!

AjxM7zD6.jpg
Hah, it’s a low car anyway; I think that could be described as slammed đŸ˜…

Your wheels look great…I think I prefer them to diamond cut/black.

Cheers,

Nick

Reactions: csd_19

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Hah, it’s a low car anyway; I think that could be described as slammed đŸ˜…

Your wheels look great…I think I prefer them to diamond cut/black.

Cheers,

Nick
Thanks Nick :D

Ha it didn't even rub the mudflaps on the way home, I was quite surprised!

I really liked the diamond cut/black that was on the wheels when I first got the car, but there were a couple of kerb marks from the previous owner and they unfortunately started to corrode. The colour is Himalaya iirc and it has a sparkle through the powdercoat (car is dirty in the pic above) that looks spot on in the sunshine. Also with the design of the wheels, if you look at the car side on from a distance the hub area round the bolt holes looks darker just because of the angle. Really happy with how they came out :D

Cubbington

Mar 26, 2024
UK
Nice!

I hadn’t noticed that they were a special colour from the pic, but the closeups really show it off.

Yep, the diamond cut/black does look good, but so many wheels are like that now, I kinda like old-school silver to just look a bit different đŸ˜‰

Are the mudflaps genuine Seat parts? I can’t seem to find them for Cupra, but I had the same with my Octavia, bought a standard set and they fitted perfectly.

Cheers!

Nick

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise