• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

what have you done to your car today ?

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Window and regulator all fixed by the garage, which is a big relief.

"Absolute nightmare" they said, so wasn't just me then!
Check the seal is good.
I had to get my window done promptly a few years ago. Unfortunately my perfectly water tight car, quickly became a foot spa after.
The garage had just hacked the door seals up & the interior plastic handle was damaged too.
Hope your garage have been more professional!

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Check the seal is good.
I had to get my window done promptly a few years ago. Unfortunately my perfectly water tight car, quickly became a foot spa after.
The garage had just hacked the door seals up & the interior plastic handle was damaged too.
Hope your garage have been more professional!
Yeah, need to check it after today's rain. I did put fresh butyl tape seal on it, but some came off when I peeled it off after the glass went into the door.

The garage actually managed to unwedge the glass from the door so it didn't need smashing and replacing. No idea how they did it!

Reactions: BadBoy03

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Driving to the Peak District and back brought up a few issues that are probably going to be expensive.

Battery's obviously still struggling a little, but I might be able to drag that one out a while longer.

The clutch is now biting really high. It still holds fine at high revs and isn't slipping or anything, but it's clearly getting close to the end - not bad though, getting 166k out of the original clutch. I'd love to fit that myself, but I reckon that might be too big a job as I'd need to buy a gearbox jack and engine hoist - among lots of other things.

One thing I'm not sure about though - when I started the car yesterday, the engine was really struggling and the car was shaking. Opened the door and there was a really strong diesel smell, and that was just from having the engine turned over for thirty seconds. I'm wondering if that means the cat is blocked. My emissions have gone downhill these past five years, and the whole exhaust is original. A few times I've put my foot down and not much has happened - even in first and second gears, it's been like pulling away in fourth or fifth - just no power. If it were the clutch slipping, I reckon I'd see the revs surge, but nothing like that, and there are no boost leaks or engine lights either.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with diesel cats or exhausts and would recognise all that as symptoms?

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
IMG_20230819_133348257.jpg Cleaned the car with the help of my dawg.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Driving to the Peak District and back brought up a few issues that are probably going to be expensive.

Battery's obviously still struggling a little, but I might be able to drag that one out a while longer.

The clutch is now biting really high. It still holds fine at high revs and isn't slipping or anything, but it's clearly getting close to the end - not bad though, getting 166k out of the original clutch. I'd love to fit that myself, but I reckon that might be too big a job as I'd need to buy a gearbox jack and engine hoist - among lots of other things.

One thing I'm not sure about though - when I started the car yesterday, the engine was really struggling and the car was shaking. Opened the door and there was a really strong diesel smell, and that was just from having the engine turned over for thirty seconds. I'm wondering if that means the cat is blocked. My emissions have gone downhill these past five years, and the whole exhaust is original. A few times I've put my foot down and not much has happened - even in first and second gears, it's been like pulling away in fourth or fifth - just no power. If it were the clutch slipping, I reckon I'd see the revs surge, but nothing like that, and there are no boost leaks or engine lights either.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with diesel cats or exhausts and would recognise all that as symptoms?
EGR valve?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
EGR valve?

I've probably got the cleanest EGR valve of any 2005 FR... Turbo is clean, no boost leaks, no lights...

I had all those problems last year that turned out to be a boost leak (garage's fault - not mine), and I went overboard fixing things before I found that, so all my vacuum lines are new, same goes for my N75/N249, boost pipes fine, even new crank case breather pipe.

It's the original exhaust, so it's nearly twenty years old. Are there any reputable brands out there? Better to get cat and downpipe or whole exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nam-uk

May 11, 2011
lancashire.

said it before get a good fuel system cleaner that works https://www.hydra-int.com/diesel-fuel.html also the fuel and air filter when were they changed ? big run like that the system should be well cleared out, and the Battery is only going up in price last i posted a link

Attachments

• DPB-100.png
    DPB-100.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: iammooks

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
So, been running this door card as a make do sorta thing till I figure out something

20230822_093516.jpg

Thing is I want to retain the electric window etc because convenience which makes life a bit more difficult.

So, grabbed some plastic, scrap inner card and tools and... well, here's the first attempt

20230822_102956.jpg

Next is to figure out the essential stuff like door pull (probably gonna use the bolt hole at the top) and pull to unlock but... not bad. Was thinking about extending it further over to cover more of the door but this is kinda growing on me.

Oh yeah, the wiring for the electric mirror isn't routed right now but such is life

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.