DRL gone yellow and dim

gaffer1986

Thanks so much for all the information. I didn't know that metal finned thing was the drl module. Do you think they may have overheated with the hot weather and AC working overtime. I have used my car as an AC office for up to 20mins at a time with all the heat going out the front condenser.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
It's not really a radiator, more of a heatsink. It's to dissipate the heat generated by the LED module.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Just curious, but how old / many miles is the car? Also do you park outdoors, front headlights facing where the sun shines?

I get that these LED lights should last the lifetime of the cars (funny enough my Seat Ibiza with Bi-Xenon said this (LEDs DRL + Xenon D1S bulbs) should also last the lifetime of the car in the handbook, but I know that D1S should last perhaps around 5 yrs ish minimum, if you don't flash people a lot and have 'auto' headlights function).

I read somewhere LEDs bulbs (not saying in vehicles but homes) have a 'theorethical' lifespan of 20,000 hrs in ideal conditions. I guess in a car (and considering these are 'always on') is not 'ideal' conditions.

gaffer1986

Just curious, but how old / many miles is the car? Also do you park outdoors, front headlights facing where the sun shines?

I get that these LED lights should last the lifetime of the cars (funny enough my Seat Ibiza with Bi-Xenon said this (LEDs DRL + Xenon D1S bulbs) should also last the lifetime of the car in the handbook, but I know that D1S should last perhaps around 5 yrs ish minimum, if you don't flash people a lot and have 'auto' headlights function).

I read somewhere LEDs bulbs (not saying in vehicles but homes) have a 'theorethical' lifespan of 20,000 hrs in ideal conditions. I guess in a car (and considering these are 'always on') is not 'ideal' conditions.

I park outside but I use the car a lot, at the most I've calculated that I could have used the car for 9000 hours so far, but that's being a bit liberal with my calculatoins.

I've done 95,000 miles.

Form what I've read, LEDs are good for 50,000 hours.

Last edited:

gaffer1986

So today I took the bumper off, I replaced the Daytime Running Light Module with no success.

Old
20170702_121512 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

New
20170702_121421 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

At first I took half the bumper off to take one light out, but I though, how about switch the ballasts as the DRL do go through it according to the wiring diagram. So I took the whole bumper off and switched the ballasts. Still no success.

20170702_120717 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

20170702_141813 by Richard Fanders, on Flickr

I will call SEAT when I get a chance at some point during the week.

Last edited:

gaffer1986

I'm guessing the only thing it could be is faulty LED strip, I don't know how the strips work though, I would have thought that if the strip was knackered it would only be a few diodes flickering or dim, but the whole strip is dim.

Also, still makes no sense that 3 out of 4 strips would fail simultaneously.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
London
can you check led alignment versus plastic tube? the old one looking to me burn out

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
If both lights have failed in the same way at the same time it would make me think it isnt actually the headlight, its something earlier in the chain causing the problem.

What would the the chances of both failing in the same way at the same time?

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
I'm guessing the only thing it could be is faulty LED strip, I don't know how the strips work though, I would have thought that if the strip was knackered it would only be a few diodes flickering or dim, but the whole strip is dim.

Also, still makes no sense that 3 out of 4 strips would fail simultaneously.

The LEDs are on the DRL modules themselves (two LEDs on each) which illuminate the two tubes within each headlight housing.

Do your headlights work as normal?

Last edited:

gaffer1986

I didn't know that. I thought the tubes contained the LEDs, damn those little things must be bright.

My headlights work good dipped and main beam, also the side lights do still make the DRLs dimmer, just 3 out of the 4 strips are really dim and yellow now.

Oct 14, 2021
Hey guys! I'm late to the party but i just stumbled on this thread.
So I'm eyeing a second hand 2014 Seat Leon FR with 120,000km on the clock. Problem is, the front left DRL is yellow and dimmed just like @gaffer1986
What was your solution for this issue? Did you end up having to change the entire headlight units after the module replacements did not work?
Can anyone help? Don't want to buy the car then have to put in a somewhere around $600 to replace the entire headlight ;)

Attached two pictures of the car to compare the DRLs

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 9.42.54 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 9.42.54 AM (1).jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 187
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 9.42.54 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-10-14 at 9.42.54 AM.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 208

gaffer1986

The heat from the engine, the sun and the day time running light all together can get hot enough to actually singe and melt the end of the day time running light tube turning it black which means you'll need a whole new light as it doesn't let as much light through. It's either that or the tube is fine and the day time running light LED unit needs replacing which is around £60. But until you take it off and have a look inside you won't know. I still have mine as I don't want to pay £1000 for two new headlights when I can just turn the DRLs off. Although I may get new headlights soon as the lens is now starting to craze (loads of tiny cracks) which looks bad.

Reactions: AnthonyTokatly
Oct 14, 2021
The heat from the engine, the sun and the day time running light all together can get hot enough to actually singe and melt the end of the day time running light tube turning it black which means you'll need a whole new light as it doesn't let as much light through. It's either that or the tube is fine and the day time running light LED unit needs replacing which is around £60. But until you take it off and have a look inside you won't know. I still have mine as I don't want to pay £1000 for two new headlights when I can just turn the DRLs off. Although I may get new headlights soon as the lens is now starting to craze (loads of tiny cracks) which looks bad.
Alright man thank you for replying so quick!
I test drove the car yesterday and enjoyed it. I just have that one concern which is kind of a deal breaker for me.
+ I doubt the owner will let me take the car apart before purchasing the car haha

Will try to update you if I end up buying the car.

Thanks again!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.