Leon FR TDI 184 Remap

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
Hey guys - new member, long time Seat owner.
Currently in a Leon FR 184 TDI and love it, but always wanted a Cupra for the extra power it's just never been affordable for me and they're pretty rare here in NI.
After reading threads here about a remap I've got a stage 1 booked for Friday morning.
Basically am looking some advice from the experts on here lol... Is there anything I need to consider after the remap?
My main concern is the clutch.... Should I be worried about more wear and tear after the remap?
Also will the remap give the car more boost in low gear? Upwards of 3rd its a flying machine but anything lower it just has no juice... Hence my desire for a cupra 🤣
Finally, how will the remap affect resale /trade in value if I do change a few years down the line?
Car is manual, 2018, £29k miles.
Any advice welcome but go easy on my guys... Consider me a girl racer with zero knowledge of cars 🤣🤣
Thanks!

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
If you Watch the darkside development video on youtube, it explains everything about the 184 remap pros and cons

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kerr77

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
Hey - Thanks, I did look up the darkside developments videos after someone recommended them on a different thread but I can't find one specific to the fr 184 😳

Wayne.mead

May 2, 2021
Had mine done 3 years ago,no 220 bhp and 25% more torque,makes fun to drive ,48 to the gallon,goes as fast as you drive it!,all seems ok at moment.map can be cheaply Removed if you sell it.

Reactions: Hag and Kerr77

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
Hey Wayne, thanks so much for your reply. So glad to hear you've had no issues!
Haven't been able to find the YouTube video of the 184 being mapped but did find a golf GTD. Main concern after watching it is that it'll cause warning messages to flag, or issues with the filter. Do you reckon if I don't drive it like I stole it every day and get it regularly serviced it'll last a good while longer then? Was only thinking about keeping it another 1-2 years, still on the lookout (and saving!) for my cupra one day 🤣

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
The main issue with the 184 if you watch the Darkside videos is that there isn't very much tuning headroom before it gets really expensive and you have to start changing bits like fuel pumps and turbos.

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
OK... Thanks so much for you help.
Do you mean in relation to the amount of extra torque it can take before I might start needing to change out some parts?

Basically I think my main concern is - will stage 1 remap allow it to still run OK with its factory parts? As its only around 40 months old with 29k miles? Or am I getting a potentially very expensive modification done here that's gonna cause many headaches over the next 1-2 years?
Screenshot below of expected gains

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-075253_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-075253_Messenger.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 627

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
It's not so much that, it was more the case that the stock turbo and fuel pump can't be pushed much harder before they start running out of headroom. Like Wayne said though, probably worth letting them getting it onto a rolling road and sorting out and optimising the mapping. I'm sure they could make some decent improvements, just not a ton of extra power as such.

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
OK thanks I'll keep that all in mind. I'm not after a ton of extra power, be happy with a little boost for now. Hopefully they take it out to customise the remap!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
OK thanks I'll keep that all in mind. I'm not after a ton of extra power, be happy with a little boost for now. Hopefully they take it out to customise the remap!
The 184 TDI is quite a torque restricted engine as stock and the torque curve improves well with a remap, not so good for max power which is limited by the air flowing capability of the smaller efficient turbo and cross flow cylinder head design - again done for emissions and efficiency.

So it would 'feel' faster due to the large increase in torque which means gear selection is less important - but probably not much quicker against a stop watch.

For ANY remap/tuning on this engine I would be asking the tuner questions on how it effects the life of the DPF - very expensive part if it needs replacing.

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
Thank you everyone. Had it done yesterday, asked how it would affect clutch/turbo/DPF. Guy said as it's stage 1 and not going for a stupid amount of power boosting, all the stock components should be able to cope. Going to get it a good service and potentially a carbon clean at £30k miles.
Love the boost of extra power especially in 1st/2nd. Bit juddery at 85mph 🤣🤣🤣

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Thank you everyone. Had it done yesterday, asked how it would affect clutch/turbo/DPF. Guy said as it's stage 1 and not going for a stupid amount of power boosting, all the stock components should be able to cope. Going to get it a good service and potentially a carbon clean at £30k miles.
Love the boost of extra power especially in 1st/2nd. Bit juddery at 85mph

Congrats on the remap. Juddery at 85? If its when you accelerate it could mean clutch is slipping...fyi

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK

Was this a reputable tuner or a backstreet garage? This is a revo stage 1 if anyone interested in the graph.

revostage1184 (2).jpg

Kerr77

May 26, 2021
I used PERFORMANCETUNINGNI
Had to just go with one I found online and by checking reviews as no one I know has the slightest interest in cars 😂
Unsure what that graph represents lol... Like I said I've no clue about this stuff and just wanted a bit of extra power without the cost of changing to a cupra/golf R.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
I’ve had my 184 DSG done and it’s circa 225ps and it’s definitely made a difference low down but especially in 4th. The increased torque makes it effortless when up to speed or just at bypass/ B road speeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BogdanB

Jun 23, 2021
I’ve had my 184 DSG done and it’s circa 225ps and it’s definitely made a difference low down but especially in 4th. The increased torque makes it effortless when up to speed or just at bypass/ B road speeds

Is it a DQ250 6 speed gearbox? If yes, how is it coping with the extra torque since it's stated that the maximum torque for this gerbox is around 400nm

TripleBob

May 3, 2021
Is it a DQ250 6 speed gearbox? If yes, how is it coping with the extra torque since it's stated that the maximum torque for this gerbox is around 400nm
The 6 speed is a wet clutch, and with some software tweaks (to increase clamping force, and set safe temp limits) can handle 500nm

Hag

Sep 15, 2018

I haven’t noticed any issues and I’m probably 18 months in now. He did a pretty thorough job with the whole cars setup so I’m guessing he might have set the DSG up.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.