Limp Mode

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
UPDATE - I've had it on a VAG COM, smoke tested and had the throttle body adjusted. Still there but I do now have a code to work from.

Pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve

As the throttle body is sorted, clean etc.. and the only leak found was on the pipe between the SAI pump and the combi valve (sorted), that would mean the only other obvious option would be the n249 needing replacement?

Appreciate any other thoughts.

Cheers

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Just been speaking to a tuner in Swindon, he's mentioned the check valve on the n112/n249 hoses might be busted.

If it is, would make sense as that check valve was used in the bypass aswell so would have affected it before and after it was taken back to stock....

If this fails then I may have to get it mapped back to standard in case its been done dodgy.

Can someone confirm if this would make sense?

Thanks

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
have you tried jacking the front of the car of the ground going through the gears accelerating with the bonnet open you can see whats happening and also listen to were various problem parts are inside the engine bay. you need to repeat the engine speeds with the car of the ground then you can see inside the engine bay any parts not sealing correctly listen to everything. also check for loose or damaged electrical connections. also get the engine compression checked all 4 cylinders should have the same reading 160 or 170 on gauge if theres a reading of 150 on one cylinder and all the others are 170 the one with 150 is considered low on compression which could be valves headgasket or both.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
17705 code is common on many remapped cars... and fixable in software 99% of time.
MAF sensor can cause this fault too however

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
MAF has been replaced recently, already tried that unfortunately... Although it doesn't go into limp mode when the MAF is unplugged?

s1 evolution - Don't start talking about head gaskets... I've also checked the car over for loose electrical connections and its been fully smoke tested for leaks.

ibizacupra - I'm familiar with the bug in remapped cars, no idea who remapped it though... No receipts on purchase and seller was a numpty. How is it fixable in software? Can someone explain how so I can pretend I know what i'm talking about when I visit the tuner?

I don't really want to send the car back to stock map as I quite enjoy the extra oomphh and it'll be £££ getting a proper REVO job done on it (compared to the cost of new check valve or n75 etc...)

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
COLD START LIMP MODE
----------------------------

HERES THE SAME POST ON ANOTHER FORUM

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5954175-17705-limp-mode-on-cold-start

I've been getting the error code 17705/P1297/004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!) on the first cold start after clearing the code from the ECU. I think the code might occur the first time I hit the boost in the morning. The code isn't illuminating the CEL.

If I shut down my car and start it back up again, the car boosts normally and generally performs fairly well. I might have a slightly rough idle at times, but for the most part it's fairly good.

Mods are:

Unitronic Stage 2 POST MENTIONS FAULT WAS CAUSED BY UNITRONIC TUNE HE CHANGED TUNER?
EVOMS V-Flow
Forge 007P (relubricated, old o-rings)
42DD downpipe
Milltek catback
034MS breather hoses (with check valve)
Replaced primary O2 sensor

What I've done:

Eliminated any boost leaks
Attempted to eliminate any vacuum leaks
Cleaned throttle body
Reasonably new MAP and MAF sensor
New spark plugs which are properly gapped
Serviced diverter valve (but I reused the o-rings)

On a cold start, the idle also takes a longer time to go down to the typical 700-800 RPM. It will idle high and when it starts to drop, it takes a long time to drop, whereas it would typically drop quite fast to its normal idle. The only other anomaly I can point out is that if I'm sitting at a light and I rapidly tap my brakes, I can make the idle bounce around erratically. I don't know if this indicates an issue with the brake booster check valve which could be contributing to my slightly rough idle at times.

After searching it seems like this is a nagging error code that a lot of people just learn to live with, but I would like to eliminate it if I can.

leak diagnosis rpm needs to be raised

Is your n249 deleted? If it isn't, try running a line from the intake manifold directly to the DV. I also had a problem where my n249 somehow became covered in fluids through no fault of my own and I had to just resistor the harness. Replacing the check valves on the brake booster could be the fix too

I have my N249. I'll try doing the line to the DV.

What about the suction jet pump? I know it is an element in the vacuum system and doesn't it have a line that goes to the brake booster? I suppose the check valves are an inexpensive attempt at a solution

its a limiter in the file. needs to be edited by a tuner. Really? A Unitronic issue?

It's the tune seen it several times with this same setup. Make them fix it

My uni file had it all the time. I never got rid of it with Uni but as soon as I switched tunes it was gone and has never returned.

Last edited:

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Hi all

Car is still an issue on a cold start, happened less over winter but now the temps are starting to rise it's happening more often (not sure how that works?!)

Does anyone know a decent tuner in my kind of area that will be able to look at the map and play with parameters for me? Bristol/Swindon area. Have tried Auto Tuner in Bristol but they want £185 + VAT to do a full vehicle check-over before they even do anything...

Any REVO dealers can only help if it's a REVO map and I don't really want to fork out for a new map if possible considering it's already got one.

On a seperate note have put the standard springs back on it so its the proper height now, the ride was killing me on these country roads! Made sure to take it on the track day with lowered springs though which was great fun, killed some tyres and fuel but car ran beautifully all day. Very proud of her!

Cheers
Oli

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
UPDATE - I've had it on a VAG COM, smoke tested and had the throttle body adjusted. Still there but I do now have a code to work from.

Pressure drop between turbo and throttle valve

As the throttle body is sorted, clean etc.. and the only leak found was on the pipe between the SAI pump and the combi valve (sorted), that would mean the only other obvious option would be the n249 needing replacement?

Appreciate any other thoughts.

Cheers

Hi again Oli.
I have the same fault, pressure drop between turbo & throttle valve. Garage diagnosed it when it had a service, but they didn't elaborate as they said i had a custom turbo. No help there! I was hoping to take mine to mcm in Westfield. I also want a smoke test as his performance niggles me & i really would like him sorted, like you. Where did you get yours smoke tested? If you have any advice, that would be great. Sounds like both our cupra have similar problems...A pain in the ass!:D

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Bayboy - MCM Garage smoke tested mine. They also have a proper VAG COM so really handy considering it's so close. They didn't bend me over on price either, smoke test, VAG COM diagnosis and clean/realigning of throttle body was about £30.00. They couldn't solve my problem though and said it may be something to do with the remap.

Ibizacupra - I see you're not based too far away, about an hour. Maybe I could book it in for you guys to take a look and play with?

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Cheers Oli, that is very handy & much more reasonable than i was expecting! I always used MCM for my VW's, but my SEAT s have gone to Brixeys in Coleford. It needs some special care so I'm glad you got on well with yours. I'll get him booked in as soon as i can spare him.
Cheers again mate.:D

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
No problem, it might be that he gave me a good deal as they couldn't get it fixed as I thought that was a bit reasonable.. Really nice chaps though.

If you need a hand with anything let me know as we're so close. I don't have much but I have got a basic code scanner and some standard tools.

Cheers
Oli

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Cheers mate, that is very kind of you! I am a newbie so learning as i go. We'll have to get the cupra out to play sometime :D

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Bayboy - MCM Garage smoke tested mine. They also have a proper VAG COM so really handy considering it's so close. They didn't bend me over on price either, smoke test, VAG COM diagnosis and clean/realigning of throttle body was about £30.00. They couldn't solve my problem though and said it may be something to do with the remap.

Ibizacupra - I see you're not based too far away, about an hour. Maybe I could book it in for you guys to take a look and play with?

contact info is in my signature

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Thanks mate for the offer. Unfortunately i booked in with MCM yesterday & getting it hooked up next Saturday. I appreciate your help & if the car really gets in the sh8 then it sounds like your the business! Not sure other half agrees, can't understand why spending money on the cupra is more important than anything. Obvious to me :D

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Thought I'd update the post, still having the same issue...

I've taken it to Avon Tuning and got the 17705 and 16975 (I think?) mapped out. That's the pressure drop between TB and DV, also SAI incorrect flow so at least my CEL isn't on.

I'm stuck now though as I popped into what I thought was limp mode this morning, could it be the wastegate? Have a new genuine n75 on the way but I'm not holding out much hope after all this.

To recap;

New MAF
Codes 17705 and 16975 mapped out
Comprehensive smoke tests done (professionally)
All hoses back where they should be
New turbo and intercooler
Throttle body cleaned and realigned

Still get max 0.4bar boost on cold start but only intermittent. Need to get this sorted now as plan on selling car but I can't sell the car with a known fault.

Cheers in advance

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
No code has been thrown I had a scanner in the car when it happened

Hi mate, did the car restart fine after? Also did you get any dash lights come on, eml, ecp or did the car just slump?
Sounds like you've been battling to get this car sorted (know the feeling!)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members