Limp Mode

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Cheers Liam, thanks for getting involved. What did they do for your £450.00 english squids?

An update, last night I was playing and thought i'd unplug the MAF again since reversing the bypass. WOAH! THE POWER! I thought I lost a bit of power after taking it back to standard but after unplugging the MAF its all still there.

I'm running the car for the next day or two with it unplugged to see if limp mode shows up. I replaced the MAF but it was a 2nd hand part (genuine). Guess i'll have to go for a brand new one... Yes, everybody has said it a thousand times and I didn't listen.

I'm hesitant to replace the n75 as everybody with similar problems on here has replaced and not seen one case where its actually been the problem. I will do if a new MAF doesn't work though.

I think with cam postion sensor the problem would be with getting it started and its never had any problems turning over. Correct me if i'm wrong someone?

Can I do any damage by running with the MAF unplugged from the connector for a couple days?

BTW, eurocarparts have a 30% flash sale going on atm for anyone else who is replacing random bits until their car works...

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Just been busy with work mate what photos you wanting

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
No problem, its the way of the world!

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/843/CbYn3Q.jpg

Can you let me know whats connected to the hose circled yellow? I've put the one way valve (circled blue) between that hose and another which is out of sight for the photo set just behind it.

Just need to know if thats the correct thing to do there. There aren't anymore one way valves in that area that I can see so if you've got one beneath the SAI hose I think i've done it right.

Cheers!

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Sorry, the hose circled yellow comes from the rubber T piece you can see at the very top of the blue circle.

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Paid £420 you get receipts and boxes and log in details for Ross tech sell £300. 1 month old also.

771e2a0c35633ff141d56d5519a59e30.jpg
b6aecb30f16f6507941733dda9b2dc22.jpg
12c563314054d51c851298bc1f0cfba3.jpg
fa6320da94905de49b7d73c7dc78918d.jpg
6c3a672a9b3eb21e2ff12df6525e709a.jpg
7bfe11ee2f28c1d9869376491a9dd908.jpg
7c328f45184c6e34de5d078ddb6d024f.jpg

Last edited:

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
changed the following including dyno diagnosis and remap once sorted:
actuator
N75
all vac pipes under inlet manifold
turbo to manifold gasket

If im right disconnecting the maf with a better result power wise is generally a boost leak or a bad maf. Although i would have thought that the map sensor could be causing symptoms as this sensor is often forgot about and works with the maf for fueling? (not 100% if im right) This messures the air pressure in the intercooler.

Reconnect the maf and unpluf the map sensor on the top of the intercooler and see what happens. I replaced mine a few weeks back after fitting a aliminium smic. mine was stuck in the original and had rusted in so breaking it was the only way to remove.

I have googled a fair few ways of troubleshooting problems and was amazed how much info was out there. Don't believe everything you read though.

All the N75 valve does is created pressure for the acctuator but if its knackered then it could be holding the actuator open or closed depending.

Had the codes read at all? If there are any there

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Yeah I have a code reader but only code showing was SAI incorrect flow, sorted with new SAI pump and reversing the n112 bypass (hopefully, it's still early days!).

No codes showing now other than where I've disconnected the MAF. This is first day I've had the car and it hasn't gone into limp mode once so very happy I've taken a step forward.

Will try unplugging the MAP and see if that works, does that have any side effects or does the ecu map it out like the MAF?

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
It will run on its basic settings fueling etc without knowing the air flow/pressure.

For future reference the boost leak areas that are most likely are as follows:
The vac pipes under intake manifold.
The breather pipe running from the side of the rocker cover to a circular plastic valve nect to the dv.
There is a boost pipe inbetween the metal boost pipes and the pancake pipe underneath that sleaves and it is renowned for coming apart if yours is the auq engine.
The intake pipe that connects your filter and turbo is sleaved and can be known to leak air and also i had the problem that the pipe had come away from the turbo which is attached by one bolt. Get you hand down there and give it a wiggle.

Also the Coild packs on these are renowned for breaking but they come up with a code if they go.

a good way for checking for leaks is get some carb cleaner and spray it over your boost pipes while its running and if the engine revs change then thats were the leak is.

I doubt you have a leak does sound like a dodgy maf if its made so much of a difference.

If i was you id start with changing the maf and then if you have no luck see if unplugging the map does anything. Then id be looking at the boost pipes although i had some leaks but never got any limp mode just wasn't as quick. Only time ive got a light up was when the intercoller to intake manifold pipe blew off. But that told me the problem once i had a look at my codes.

Best way is to diagnose without buying parts every two minutes to rule it out. But your best bet is to get vag com as big john is brilliant once you get some readouts and get them on hereif you dont have any luck with the maf

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Thanks, the only bit that's bugging me is that the limp mode only appears when engine is not up to temperature. Why would it have that difference if it was the MAF? Surely if it was giving false readings it would affect the car whether up to temp or not? I thought the n112 bypass might have caused it as that kicks in on a cold start with the SAI I think?

Yeah need to get VAG COM but can't justify too much money on it, everyone else in my household drives ford :handbags:

Do the £30 kits do all the stuff ross tech can or do u lose ability to reset throttle body etc...? Don't know too much about them.

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
ahhhh didnt see it was when the engine wasnt up to temp.

Yeah the sai kicks in on a cold start but wouldnt cause issues if it wasnt working or there.

German are the best. When their right that is.

I paid £30 for mine and mines good. It is the full version but theres a few things i cant do but all i wanted was to read the sensors values and check codes. Check it says full version before you buy it as sometimes you could just get the code reading only version.

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
F***in he'll thts brilliant, thanks Liam tht link is exactly what I've been trawling the web looking for! Is that for the auq?

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
yeah thats the auq mate.

Google images are great just type what you need and it will be there.

Also type in your issue and have a stroll through the forums as i can garantee someone else has had this problem before. You will see what they have done and what worked and what didnt

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Had a look through the forum but couldn't find anyone with this issue on a cold start, lots with limp mode problems though.

I've realised the metal cover for the n112/n249 has the code APG (i think) on a white sticker next to the dipstick. Is this is different engine code?

I'm thinking mine may not line up with that engine layout because the bit i'm looking at may have been replaced with a spare from a different car?

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
I've not got those two pipes ur on about in the photo I have the AUQ engine

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Well aint that a bugger.... I have a feeling my n249/n112 setup has been replaced at some point with a setup from an APG engine then. God this is getting complicated!

I'll take the cover off by the dipstick when the sun comes out and take some pictures of the underside to post on here and see what your thoughts are.

New MAF arriving today so will let you know about the limp mode shortly, manged to pick it up for £90 on sale from eurocarparts.

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Also, just wanted to check. Via the fitment details on eurocarparts i've got a MAF '0 280 218 063'. Can someone confirm this is the right/wrong one before I bolt it on?

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
New MAF fitted but no good, possibly the connecter? What else would cause the problem to disappear after disconnecting the maf?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.