H0dsman

I really wish I had the time, room, knowledge and most importantly the balls to do that to mine! It's looking good and you can't beat going back to bare essentials and starting off on blank canvas,

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Nae bad.

You do hillclimb but not Time Attack?

You'll need to hike up your power to be competative in the Sports and Saloons.

Nae really convinced by Time attack TBH, for me Hill climb seems more of a challange and more local too.
For SMRC it would have to be a whole different beast for sure

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I really wish I had the time, room, knowledge and most importantly the balls to do that to mine! It's looking good and you can't beat going back to bare essentials and starting off on blank canvas,
Thank you.
I really wish I would get less side tracked by everything but thats just the way I am.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Rod o clock :)

So after doing some investigations and bargin hunting I've finally ordered and taken delivery of some rods.
144 x 20mm IE rifle drilled bad boys!!
These are just the standard IE ones but for just now they are more than enough.

Also one of our members stripped his LCR.
I have purchased his gear box, sub frame, wish bones with poly bushes and some switches.
These were paid for today and expect these to be delivered on Thursday.

Just need to order some VAG parts and this will be well on its way

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
With the stock pistons you'll be good for 500 ponies anyway :)

Look forward to seeing how things develop Wull, and also seeing the beast on track next year.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Hybrid o'clock

Well, after my initial joy at not seeing any cracks in my OEM 108,00 mile turbo these hopes were dashed when I get the turbo fully off the block.
On closer inspection the hot side is badly cracked.
Now I know people would run the car with this but I'm not going to.
The turbo has not shown any issues and was boosting hard prior to being taken off the road. Just before it was taken off the road it made 288 BHP and 300 ft-lbs.

Perhaps the turbo would be okay to continue to run but as of now it'll be a back up.

So, onwards with getting, researching and fitting a Hybrid KO4-23 turbo.

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Just as we thought VAG had solved their water pump problems....

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

The pictures speak for themselves.
The crack is very obvious but there is quite a large amount of wear on the fins and erosion at the edges of the fins too.
This has been in for its VAG life span and didn't show any issues.

I've started to strip my block to remove the head for and sump for fitting the rods.
To remove the head it looks like I'll need to remove one of the braces holding the exhaust and inlet cams. Is this right?
Either this or I'll have to get a longer M10 bit?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Great to hear your getting to grips with the rebuild. You won't be diapointed with the hybrid, what people don't realise is with a stock k04 you reach peak power around 5500 rpm but with a hybrid you hit it at 6500 rpm. Shop around for the hybrid spec, i would speak to Turbo dynamics, CRTurbos and AET.
What about manifolds Willie whats your thoughts.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Great to hear your getting to grips with the rebuild. You won't be diapointed with the hybrid, what people don't realise is with a stock k04 you reach peak power around 5500 rpm but with a hybrid you hit it at 6500 rpm. Shop around for the hybrid spec, i would speak to Turbo dynamics, CRTurbos and AET.
What about manifolds Willie whats your thoughts.

Thank you Carl (fake Willy ;))

I have a v2 Relentless exhaust manifold.
Whats the current best KO4-23 Hybrid to get?
CR v2?
2283 RS6 set up?

Howw different is your car from Stage 2 to hybrid?

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Thank you Carl (fake Willy ;))

I have a v2 Relentless exhaust manifold.
Whats the current best KO4-23 Hybrid to get?
CR v2?
2283 RS6 set up?

Howw different is your car from Stage 2 to hybrid?
I feel like comming out of the wardrobe soon and going under Cupra Carl or something;).
The relentless has the best collector design and best power gains of all the manifolds out there imho, But what it doesn't have is a good record of lasting well :(. Its a gamble but a worth while gamble i think, i've asked Bill to supplement the welds around the collector area (where the heat is greatest) in an effort to strengthen it as best it can but time will tell.
The best hybrid............. this is a million dollar question as i feel there are pros and cons to each design. My hybrid is an early design and basic by todays standards but it does the job. The main differences between the manufacures appear to be the turbine area. Some use stock turbine, some clearance the turbine and some clip the turbine. each method affects spool up time, max power and surge etc. Its a bit of a minefield really.
If i was to do it again (which i may do if my manifold change yields poor results), i would probably just go for the internals from the tfsi k04 turbo and have the turbine housing clearanced and not the turbine clipped.
One thing though, have a look at the porting Bill did on a k04 before as this is essential i think to good gas flow but seldom gets done on a hybrid conversion to the level that Bill did. take your time and talk to a number of suppliers as its interesting that they will all have a different take on it.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Ach there's nout wrong with that min! Fine excuse for an upgrade!!

Think it's coz you know I'll be flying past you sideways ;) haha! :p

When are you getting this new turbo in then? KH soon??

Just now everything is getting pushed backwards.
Due to my relationship status I need wheels.
I had hoped to get this on the road soon but that aint happening.
So TBH it looks like this car won't be on the road this year :(

It's already been 1 1/2 years since I've driven it :(

But life goes on

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members