Under Perfoming Cupra - Problem Identified

Al

Aug 29, 2005
:yes:. Not saying anything about code though because I am not falling in to the trap about miscalling any particular company.

What I will say is that there is more than one tuner.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I know of a couple of KO4 stage 2 + cars as well that have blown head gaskets and gearboxes to bits! on more than one occasion.......

Needless to say one car is sold and is an ED30 gti and the other one is back to standard with a new engine and 4th gearbox in under 30K.
It's orange has 4WD 265ps standard and (was) awesome to watch at crail launching!;)

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
This is the 5th one now I know of. Ones I know of already;

1 Ed 30
2 Cupra
1 S3 (needed new engine)

Unfortunately I can not report with any certainty but I think mine started to play up before I had the map and ITG added.

I changed the plugs for NGK ones at the same time as fitting the ITG and notice oil rsidue on them then. Needless to say not being mechanically mined I did not think too much about this at the time. Stupidly I thought at the last services someone had used oil to clean the plugs up and some residue remained! I guess I was hopelessly wrong.

This suggests why my car only ran 225 as standard on the Rollers and 273 after stage 1 map. I guess it just wasn't firing properly.

I know it's like throwing money away but I am just tempted to let Ben look at it and fix the problem.

Seeing experiences on here suggest that's what I need to do fix the problem

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
I know of a couple of KO4 stage 2 + cars as well that have blown head gaskets and gearboxes to bits! on more than one occasion.......

Needless to say one car is sold and is an ED30 gti and the other one is back to standard with a new engine and 4th gearbox in under 30K.
It's orange has 4WD 265ps standard and (was) awesome to watch at crail launching!;)

If the Ed30 was the Silver one, then that was running a little more than Stage 2+ ;)

Poverty

So weakness are starting to come out on these engines.

I dont think its mod related in regards to the gaskets. Gearbox could be a different story

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Dave these are my plugs , done about 7k on them
does this look like the ones that Ben removed? or when you changed for your NGK plugs?

IMGP1653.jpg

IMGP1652.jpg

IMGP1651.jpg

IMGP1643.jpg

IMGP1642.jpg

IMGP1641.jpg

Poverty

New Plugs

NGK IRIDIUM IX spark plugs - BKR7EIX, One step colder than stock.

Condition of the old plugs after 9000miles/9 months

24102009306.jpg

24102009305.jpg

24102009304.jpg

Old vs New

24102009302.jpg

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
robdf2, I may be wrong but looking at them pictures of your plug it looks like carbon deposits because the car is running too rich.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
robdf2, I may be wrong but looking at them pictures of your plug it looks like carbon deposits because the car is running too rich.

hi steve yeah good conclusion to jump to , only thing is my car is actually running lean ! :-o

my AFR is around 13.5 iirc , so thats what i dont understand , in the real world they should be running like povertys a nice browny colour.

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
hi steve yeah good conclusion to jump to , only thing is my car is actually running lean ! :-o

my AFR is around 13.5 iirc , so thats what i dont understand , in the real world they should be running like povertys a nice browny colour.

If lean I would exspect like povertys to a more glazed appearance.

It sounds like the ECU thinks the car is running lean even though it is not and then suppling more fuel which would result in carboned up plugs.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise