PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
The past month has pretty much been spent trying to find somewhere where i could leave the car in a garage for a week to have the box rebuilt, we ended up going to one of the boys sweet place in Bristol to do it. So today we went up at about 8 this morning to take my box out...

Using the most ghetto engine lift EVER. Asked my old man if we had one, said yeah we got one, me thinking some decent and we end up with this, a jumped up tent pole with guide ropes!

DSCF0895.jpg

DSCF0896.jpg

DSCF0897.jpg

DSCF0898.jpg

DSCF0899.jpg

First cut of the day award goes to Jonzy, the crazy barsteward, good work fella. :D

DSCF0901.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

DSCF0904.jpg

More pics....

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
DSCF0906.jpg

Biscuits flowed as well as the tea.
DSCF0909.jpg

Box finally off, shot of the orginal clutch with dual mass flywheel of about 11kg's, new flywheel is 6kgs.
DSCF0910.jpg

Box finally off with muchos swearing indeed.
DSCF0915.jpg

Anyone notice anything? lmao.

Excuse the dirt, but i put the original Cupra badge back on the rear end...
DSCF0918.jpg

Scangauge 2 fitted (not fixed as everyone is borrowing it to check fault codes, so excuse the blutak. lol)

DSCF0919.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

The box will be goin down tonight to martin aka hotgolf on ClubGti (who i had my flywheel lightened by amoungst other things) to be rebuild with some new parts such as seal, bearings etc.., 1st and 2nd snychros, shorted 3.684 final drive, quiafe ATB diff and new painted casing which i should get back in the week ready to go back on next weekend along with 3 new Blackforest engine mounts.

Just a quick note, i'd like to point out i pretty much done :censored: ALL today, so a massive thanks goes to Jonzy, Pete and Gareth for the help, hope you enjoyed the grub. Cheers boys.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Had a bit of a problem this week with the box, when i dropped down my box martin had already started to load up my diff and the new final drive into the painted case he had spare, which would basically mean hes about 2 hours into the swap. But when we laid down the two boxes we noticed the casings where different, he was using an 02A casing found on 16v VW/Seat engines and mine is an 02J, even tho they use the same gearset (my final drive is from a 02A) the fixings on the casings were different. So out came the preloaded diff, final drive, seals and bearings on the new casing and put into my casing.

So here it is ( phone pic only at the moment as its still in the boot of my car!) Nice and clean. :D

DSC00094.jpg

Picked up my engine mounts this morning as well. Theyre Stage 1 Blackforest PU 80 Shore A hardness mounts, which means theyre SOLID! lol.

DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0923.jpg

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Continued from above...

Image015.jpg

Image016.jpg

Image017.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image023.jpg

Also picked up some parts ready for show season...

Smooth rocker cover from an N/A 20vt. Gonna go well with my minimal look for 2008. lol.
DSCF0986.jpg

Also decided to remove the header tank as i've never been happy with the quality of it. So thats goin and i'll be using a machined filler neck and rad cap instead. :D

DSCF0980.jpg

So now in the engine back left is the engine, power steering tank and a catch tank. I'll be moving the battery to the boot hopefully today as well. Washer tank needs to be relocated or just removed as i dont drive the car in the wet anymore. lmao.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Sprayed and fitted my rocker cover, ordered and fitted all new black hoses, removed the washer tank and header tank and fitted my rad hose t-piece and cap.

DSCF1281.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

DSCF1277.jpg

Still WIP tho, battery has been moved as well now, just need a 70mm chrome tube (if anyone knows where to go them from?) And pick up my alloy battery tray to fit the battery in the boot properly.

Shame my brake servo cap didnt fit, that yellow thing stands out a mile.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Battery romeved and fitted in wheel well...

DSCF1283.jpg

DSCF1284.jpg

DSCF1287.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

Not decided on the wiring in the boot yet nothing is done up or earthed properly, so the routing of the cable might change to tidy it up a little.

Parts used: 4awg Fusion amp wiring kit, 8awg to move the fuse box from the current location to behind the headlight, earth non fused Vibe distribution.

Also, Megs Endurance Tyre Gel is awesome one hoses.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
After this happening...

DSC00531-1.jpg

I've ditched the bracket i was using before and instead drilled the rear beam....

DSCF1333.jpg

DSCF1332.jpg

DSCF1324.jpg

Next up was to change my downpipe, i've previously been running a 2.5" Milltek downpipe with 100 cell cat, now i've changed this to a full 3" (nearly 3.5" at the turbo as its swaged) decat from Blueflame.

Spool up is awesome (even tho its a tiny turbo!), sound is awesome and all my vag com logs are generally looking better.

Some pics...

DSCF1316.jpg

DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1331.jpg

DSCF1328.jpg

Quick vid after fitting...

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Couple of random pics...
DSCF1349.jpg

DSCF5113.jpg

As you can see i've relocated the filter behind the headlight to help with MAF figures, to straighten out the flow to the sensor to give more accurate readings. Quite happy with the engine bay now to be honest, i think most people would prefer it previously but i think it looked too fussy.

I've also picked up a Greddy Profec B Spec 2 boost controller so i can ditch the N75.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ok, i've fitted and played with the greddy unit and i'm pretty happy with it fair play, car really hauls ass now fair play, i got a slight hesitation of boost as soon as i hit WOT but its hardly anything, certianly something i can live with, but i have no idea why its happening. I'll take some pics of this when i get time as its now fitted where the coin tray used to be.

Past couple of weeks has seen me tidying up and fixing small problems, i've redone the timing belt, then realised my chain and tensioner on the cams were toast, so 150 quid later i got new ones.

Also fitted (finally) my two other engine mounts...

DSCF1412.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

One of the old mount...

DSCF1407.jpg

Usual oil and filter change done, halfords to the rescue, 5w50 motorsport oil and halfords filter ftw.

I've redone my catch tank hoses and mounted the tank in a better position as well....

DSCF1420.jpg

The cam cover has come off, i'll be gettin it polished now i think, but either way i have to weld in some stud for the coil packs as i couldnt stop oil leaking through the tapped thread in the cover.

Got a spare throttle body which i need to drill and tap a vac connection and paint it.

Chrome brake fluid reservoir cap...

DSCF1404.jpg

Hoses with t-bolts...

DSCF1408.jpg

Some actual car shots(dirty tho)....
DSCF1413.jpg

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

Got a bargain on ebay, Ricco full FIA approved 3" 4 point harnesses in black, just the one, but my plan is to get the drivers side seat and harness done and roll with one seat, which is a Corbeau Sprint XL which i picked up this weekend, sell the interior then buy the other side.

Just waitin on my subframes now and i'll fit them this week.

Also ordered new bonnet lifters (3rd set now), different chrome oil cap and a new vag com cable (3rd one as well)

And thats it, i'm up to date. :D

ian_cupra

gonna be doing the battery relocation when i finally get mine back on the road, gonna use one of those smaller batteries though, the er... cant remember his name, silver mk2 20vt, so dont loose the spare wheel well

looking awesome though phil, hoping to get mine upto your standard, just with no chrome or blue under the bonnet :lol: all black and red instead :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.