Thinking of buy Compomotive alloys? Well read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right I had these alloys for about 2 and half years now and within a few months of owning them they started flaking.

Flaking from stone chips or what Compomotive blame, chipping the paint off when having new tyres fitted.

I emailed them in the past and just had "Go to the company you had them off" and then that company saying "Go to Compomotive".

Rung up one day to order new stickers because I was fed up of them flaking and was going to get them refurbed..... even just washing the car and putting the hose pipe on them the paint would flake off!

Anyway on that phone call they tried to charge me £10 for the stickers but managed to get them for free after speaking to the manager or supervisor. During talking to the supervisor I had her admit that they have a garage by them and out of 4 tyre fitters only one fitter can fit tyres to the alloy without flaking any paint off..... when I asked to have that written in an email she was saying that the line is real quiet and went.

Since then I managed to kerb the alloy when avoiding a car cutting a corner and getting them refurbed this week, while my car is still off the road. So I don't think Compomotive would be interesting after I have marked them, just want people to know the quality of these alloys before you go purchasing them.... I wish I went for Speedlines now.

The bloke Steve G60 he's known as down my way, the company is APS Services said he gets lots of Compomotive alloys that have had paint flaking off them.

Compomotive blames the tyre fitter but the standard white ronals were on my car from the factory so that was about 8 years before I changed to the Compo's and they never flaked! Think it’s enough said when comparing them to the standard rims! :whistle:

Here's the pics:

100_0656.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_0661.jpg

100_0662.jpg

100_0666.jpg

100_0667.jpg

These were taken back beginning of 2007 and below are what they like now!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I usually use Auto Glym Paint Renovator to remove all the stained brake dust and dirt and then polish them using Auto Glym polish once a month, along with that the car would at least been washed once a week if not more. So they are well looked after. And look at the state of them...... known as Flake-o-motives!

Photo-0124.jpg

Photo-0125.jpg

Photo-0126.jpg

Photo-0127.jpg

Photo-0128.jpg

Photo-0129.jpg

Photo-0130.jpg

Photo-0131.jpg

Last edited:

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
oh and as for the standard ronals! bloody hell! i started to refurb mine today, what a shock i had, the paint/powdercoat is emmensly tough, spent so long on getting them down to this state

25062008006.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yep and what they also said was there are motorsport alloys so the paint work is to motorsport standard.

Other words..... if you doing 100mph through a forest do you well care if the paint flakes?

surreyfull

Mar 3, 2008
Portsmouth
oh and as for the standard ronals! bloody hell! i started to refurb mine today, what a shock i had, the paint/powdercoat is emmensly tough, spent so long on getting them down to this state

25062008006.jpg

haha yeh i had a go at doing mine aswel and couldnt believe how tough it was!!!!

real shame about the compomotives they were always my favourite alloys on the mk2 after white mk3 cupra alloys ofcourse :p

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
thats dissapointing, always spoke/thought highly of comp. my ibiza wears some white speedlines, 3ish years and the only marks are self inflicted, they seem to very strong and up to the job. next clean ill take some close ups.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
my step dad uses speedline comp 2's and there brilliant, he uses them for rallying and they are extremlt robust..he hit a rock with one and it didnt really damage the alloy but bent the strut and yet it only produced a crack in the paint

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
spoke's look like stonechips i must admit but the rim looks like fitting damage

i'd go freaking nuts if that happened to a new set of mine

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Never had any problems when with mine when I bought them in 2001 and had no paint flake off right until I had them refurbered 3-4 years after that.

They have probably changed somthing in the painting process since and the quality control out the window

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
wow what a read i always thought there were good,as regards to your paint to me it looks like the surface underneath is to shiney!meaning that the paint has nothing to key to,thats how you can get flakeing!im a painter by trade an d have seen this loads of times,its the same when laquer flakes or paint its self!so if you get a good refurb you should'nt have any problem!
good look dave

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Yea I remember seeing pics of your alloy stu when you fitted the 4 pots and thought how won't they flaking????

And with the stone chips I thouhgt oh well but then I looked at my standard rims and there's hardly any on them compared to the compos. But then them stone chips not into flakes when water gets underneath them.

My neighbour is a body sprayer and he looked at the huge pitch and you can see the alloy is hardly etched.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
They were originally white when they were on my Ibiza, they've been refurbed twice since.

That said the finish was a bit patchy on a couple of wheels, but wasnt all that anal about it.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Assuming they're powder-coated, the edges look like they haven't cured properly (stoved at too low a temperature or for too short a time). Tyre fitting would then have been sufficient to lift the poorly bonded paint.

However, the big patch on the spoke suggests a problem with the pretreatment (something still on the metal when it was painted) - has it got progressively worse or did it come off in a big chunk like that?

Either way, something's gone wrong with the process. Have Compomotive seen the pics?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Assuming they're powder-coated, the edges look like they haven't cured properly (stoved at too low a temperature or for too short a time). Tyre fitting would then have been sufficient to lift the poorly bonded paint.

However, the big patch on the spoke suggests a problem with the pretreatment (something still on the metal when it was painted) - has it got progressively worse or did it come off in a big chunk like that?

Either way, something's gone wrong with the process. Have Compomotive seen the pics?

I contacted them before and they were blaming the place where I had my tyres fitted and just fobbed me off.

I have also sent these photos to them again this afternoon so will wait for a reply.

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
I contacted them before and they were blaming the place where I had my tyres fitted and just fobbed me off.

They'd struggle to blame the spoke on the tyre fitters, even if the rim had been badly mangled (which it isn't).

What I can't understand is the company where you bought them trying to pass the buck. It should have been a straightforward warranty claim for them.

Hoping you get a result.

jasonwinslow

Mk2 16v GTi
Apr 4, 2008
Bournemouth
I love the look of compomotives but don't really fancy that happening to mine! Anyone know of a set of wheels that looks the same/similar to the mo's?

I'm thinking of a brembo conversion on my mk2 so need wheels with extra clearance as well just incase.

Cheers!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
100_0656.jpg

is it me or is that far too smooth and shiny for the paint to get a good key?(i think key is the right word.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.