Noisy / clicking engine - Leon FR 2.0TFSI

nwilson

:help: My 06 FR has a clicking noise at idle, sounds a bit 'tappety' - took it to the local independent VW garage today and they think that it sounds normal, as it is just the injectors clicking - apparently this is normal with FSI engines - does this sound right?

Maximus2000uk

There are quite a few posts about this, and how the TFSI engine sounds like a diesel when idle.

The explanation you've been given is correct and, unless it makes the same noise while accelerating, there isn't a problem.

Mine is an FR too and when I pull out of my garage in the mornings, it sounds like im driving a combine harvester!

nwilson

Thanks for this - always good to know that I haven't bought a lemon! Just had a quick search through other threads/posts on the same subject and yes, the injectors seem to be the common explanation.

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
My dad thought my TFSI was a diesel when he heard it start for the first time :rolleyes:

MrT

Stole my radio!!
Aug 10, 2007
:help: My 06 FR has a clicking noise at idle, sounds a bit 'tappety' - took it to the local independent VW garage today and they think that it sounds normal, as it is just the injectors clicking - apparently this is normal with FSI engines - does this sound right?

This is perfectly normal as it is the HP fuel rail operating.........The TFSI uses this as do alot of other engine makers....Don't get hung up about it...:thumbup:

Plasmaman

Jun 3, 2008
Northampton
Oh cool, i infact have bought a lemon. Well its yellow and only three days old but i did think the engine in idle sounded weird!!

I shall now relax!

Martincupra

Mar 19, 2008
Just had my Cupra in for the same problem ,very intrusive tappetty noise at idle. My dealer had another cupra in stock (sales managers)so I took that out for a spin and it didn`t make the same noise .
Anyway they seem to have cured it ,saying it was the fuel lines vibrating against the chassis .
Bin out for a spin in it tonight and it appears to have gone.
Sadly the same cannot be said for the rattle from the passenger side .:(

Bwaahp

Also remember that these motors have forged pistons which are clattery before hot.

Jan 13, 2008
Is it loud?

I haven't noticed this on mine

Last edited:

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
Imo yes it is. I've had repeated "is it a diesel" comments when I've started mine, sounds like a bag of spanners till its warmed up.

Heard an 08 GTI tick over a week or so ago though, sounded just the same.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise